“Works just fine for the weekend”

Hotel Oorsprongpark
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Being budget travellers, me and my boyfriend opted for this hotel because it was the cheapest considering the privacy we would get (versus a hostel).

The rooms are very small, but functional - there were two single beds put together (which was a bit of a hassle since one of us ended up sliding down the crack between the beds), a small desk, a tv and, in the back of the room two comfy chair with a view to the little garden in the back (the room was in the basement). They had scent of dust - which i assume is from the carpet, but a cracked window solved the issue.

The bathroom though was very weird. It had a toilet and a sink. And when we looked for the shower, we noticed a pipe coming up the door where we found a shower head. At first we thought it was kinda funny, but not as funny when we tried to shower - everything got soaked wet (except the toilet paper which was strategically placed under the sink), so don't place stuff there you don't want to get wet.

The location was perfect - very quiet neighbourhood ,with very easy access to the city center. There were frequent buses (every 5 minutes) to the city center and to the university (every 10 minutes), and it would take us around 15 to walk there - which is very doable. It is a good hotel for those who want privacy and quiet at night and, at the same time, hit the bars in Lucasbolwerk.

Overall, a good stay. It served our purposes. It was a bit expensive for our standards, considering the rooms, but it was ok considering hotel prices in the Netherlands.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carla S
There are newer reviews for Hotel Oorsprongpark

Reviewed 21 November 2013

This hotel is good if you just want a bed to sleep after a long day of sight seeing.
the room and bathroom are super small (tiny!!!) but I was not expecting much. I should mention that the stairs are very steep but I had no problems because I was traveling with a backpack. The location is good and it takes 15-20 minutes walk to the central station (10 minute walk to the center of Utrecht), I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tiny_dancer1977
Reviewed 8 September 2013

my room was durty, booking was lost when I arrived and it needs a refurbishment. The location is pretty far from the central station. I would not recommend to stay here, not even for the lowest price.

2  Thank jeroensleurs
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed for one night in August with the family. The rooms were small, bathrooms tiny. The beds were the most comfortable hotel beds ever.
The hotel is small and basic with very steep stairs. We were allocated two rooms, one on the first floor and one on the second. Having struggled up the first set of stairs with our luggage, my wife and I decided to take the room there and sent our daughters on up to the second to stay.

Breakfast the next morning was acceptable without being exciting.

There is a pretty little garden area at the back leading down to the canal. Unfortunately when we asked if we could go into the garden we were clearly told 'No'.

Location-wise it is a fair walk into the centre of town and the canal life.

Overall it served our purposes but I would caution anyone with mobility issues about staying there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank DavidCharlesLondon
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

I ve been there with my boyfriend in august
The hotel was good! Really nice but little rooms with bathroom with all the furniture!
It is located in a nice street, 20 minutes walking from the central station!
International breakfast!;)

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank erulallu
Reviewed 18 August 2013

What I liked:
* The location is lovely, a really pretty street an easy walk into the city centre. It is quieter than city centre hotels and but there are plenty of neighbourhood bars and shops around, plus buses at the end of the road.
* The staff are nice and do try to be helpful
* Breakfast was good and there was plenty of it
* Free wifi
* Coffee and cake in the lounge

What I didn't like:
* Bizarrely difficult to book. It seems to be only possible to do this online and staff don't seem to know about availability
* Extremely steep staircase down to the basement, without adequate handrail support
* Tiny and badly decorated room, poorly furnished with an uncomfortable bed and lack of hanging space.
* Very dusty in the room. Everything accumulated a layer of dust over night, which I really didn't appreciate one little bit.
* Small uncomfortable bathroom with very little space to put anything
* Expensive for what you get - but I get the impression hotel prices in The Netherlands are generally on the high side (colleagues in a more expensive hotel in town also felt it was poor value). It felt like a budget hotel, and I certaily would have given a better rating if it had been half the price - but there was nothing budget about the bill!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I hated the stairs as a partially disabled person and felt they could have been referred to in their blurb. They were incredibly steep even for Holland. Otherwise I loved it, staff were delightful and I would go again but be nearer the ground

• Stayed: January 2013