“Basic, good value hotel.”

Holiday Inn Express Utrecht - Papendorp
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Utrecht
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We stayed here when my wife had a business meeting nearby that ended quite late in the evening. The room was perfectly comfortable and the free WiFi worked reasonably. Bathroom was clean and spacious. I'd use it again for a similar visit.

The hotel is in an office area, so a car is needed. Having said that there is plentiful free parking. There is no restaurant, so you can either travel to the centre or call out for a delivery: there are menu's at the reception. The bar area is quite pleasant and there is a basic selection of salads and sandwiches from a vending area.

I am not sure why so many budget hotels are decorated using primary colours though. Makes them look a bit like McDonalds.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 November 2012

I like to stay around Utrecht when in Holland, because my children live there but also because the city is kind of central in Holland. I used to stay at another hotel but decided to try this hotel and was very pleasantly surprised. A modern hotel with all the amenities you'd want, both for business and vacation. Good breakfast, good location, well kept, clean and the staff is very courteous. I am going to Holland again next week and I got a great rate and they even threw in free parking. Thanks, guys

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Johnfun4
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I booked in here for one night to stop off after a party in a venue nearby. You cannot reach this hotel by public transport (I think), so it only makes sense if you're travelling by car anyway. It's situated in an business park, so no good for visiting the town.
It's a very basic but new and clean business hotel. Rooms are simple and small but functional.
Beds are nice and firm. Pillows are too thick and firm though (you get a choice but they all felt the same to me), I actually got a stiff neck from it.
Breakfast is functional, nothing special, mostly supermarket food. Pastries were baked to charcoal but other bread was edible.
The internet (free WiFi kpn hotspot) was very slow and didn't work when I arrived though staff then checked the line out of the hotel and that fixed it later on.
Staff were very friendly and responsive.
NB: No safe in room, but safes are accessible from reception. No restaurant - but basic sandwich vending available. Shower gel/shampoo dispensers in bathroom.
AC is medium loud and apparently can't be switched off - doesn't prevent sleeping but makes temperature control difficult with the window open.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

Arrived here on a Sunday night (late) & were made very welcome by Melanie ( one of the night staff ). Rooms are very nice, open, clean and modern. Bathroom also if the same description. As it was a Sunday night we had no chance if food but again Melanie helped arrange that for us. We would recommend highly to anyone stopping in this area of Utrecht.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Kam S
Reviewed 7 November 2012

This hotel is located in a quite office area. It is easy to find and accessibility is good (even for handicapped people) The area is very modern and their staff is friendly. Check-in was smooth and efficient.

The rooms are spacious, comfortable, attractive and modern. There is a good choice on TV-channels and each room has free WiFi.

Breakfast is acceptable.

I would not mind staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
GM_HI_Express_AMSUT, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Utrecht - Papendorp, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your remarks concerning our hotel! All of this is very helpful for us to continuously improve our product and services.

With regards to your remarks the breakfast, we indeed encountered some very busy mornings due to sudden popularity of the hotel. I am happy to inform you that the staffing on busy days is very well organized now and our hotel is scoring really good on service level satisfaction. Concerning the bus time tables; I apologize for any incorrect information. We have listened to your and other guests comments really well and meanwhile we made and verified a bus time-table sheet that can be handed out to every interested guest. There are buses in the hotel area that bring you to downtown Utrecht within 10 to 15 minutes.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future!

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Excellent Hotel - but it's a long way from anywhere (unless you have business in the area).

But dn't let that put you off. The staff is excellent. Helpful, friendly, cheerful 9I hope that this will stil be the case in a year or so). Breakfast is fine and the internet works.

Now, evening meal. There's nothing nearby. But the reception staff will help you from a dedicated fast-food website. I chose 'Kebab-2-go' and ordered a doner. Actually 2 doners as they have a 10 euro minimum charge. i paid 11 euros, donated one of the kebabs to the night staff and took the other with a beer to my room. An excellent meal!

Room Tip: I always specify a room with no connecting door.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank canoepunkie
GM_HI_Express_AMSUT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Utrecht - Papendorp, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Dear Mister O'Groats,

Thank you very much for your positive remarks of our new hotel!
We do have a very nice restaurant very close to the premises, about 5 minutes by foot, opened on weekdays until at least 8 pm. Also we have bicycles and motorbikes that can be used to go to downtown in 15 minutes in the evenings. I am happy that you used our policy to stimulate having dinner in our lobby or hotel room from one of the 40 different restaurants that deliver food at the Holiday Inn Express. Also we are developing a wider range of food in our vending area, such as hot noodles, salads and snacks.
I am looking forward to see you again in the near future!

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2012

We stayed here for one night (4/10/2012).
It was difficut to find and in the middle of what appears to be a complex of office buildings.
Good quality room, good bathroom, clean, warm and comfortable.
All staff spoke English well and were very friendly and helpful.
The bar area was not comfortable as it formed a corridor between the front door, breakfast area and reception, it was cramped with very garish.
I've had far better breakfasts at other Holiday Inn Expresses. Very basic continental style !!!
This is a new build hotel, there were a few builders in the reception area in the morning.
Unusual covered car park, only every other plank in the roof fitted. It was pouring down in the morning when we left, so we still got well rained on, with this unusual roofing arrangment.

Room Tip: Ask at reception for bus information to go into central Utrecht for an evening meal, we were pleasen...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for leaving your very appreciated comments. All of this is very helpful for us to continuously improve our product and services.
I hope you enjoyed your stay and your time in Utrecht. I am sorry that you did not like the set-up of the bar area. I am seriously looking into how we can improve the area. From early December we’ll have beautiful Christmas decoration around and I will definitely focus on the bar area.
Furthermore we are still trying to improve our breakfast set-up on a daily basis, although I can not offer the same variety as a Holiday Inn branded hotel. A few things might have improved already since your most recent stay!
I am glad to inform you that a big part of our parking lot that is fully covered and rain-free which I can point out to you next time. The new entrance at that side of the building has become more accessible and beautiful now as well.
During your next stay I am happy to offer you a good bottle of wine at our bar to give you the opportunity again to show that it can be a really pleasant place!

Kind regards,