“Better than Amsterdam !”
Review of Canals area

Canals area
Ranked #1 of 114 things to do in Utrecht
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I went in Utretch with my boyfriend in March, and we had a walk along the canals. We found them wonderful and we enjoyed more Utretch than Amsterdam as it's more quiet and completely less touristic (more pleasant). I think it's a must see in Utretch.

Go there !!! It's really worth it :)

3  Thank Aurelie M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Canals in Utrecht are really a must see. We were on a day trip to Utrecht from Amsterdam. We planned a canal cruise, but by the time we reached the place the boat was already left we skipped it. We went on a walking tour of the area and it is a must do.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

If the rowdy crowds, tacky establishments and the massive tourist throng discourage you from promenading the Amsterdam canal area, head off to Utrecht which is just 30 minutes away from Centraal. The Utrecht Canal Area is cleaner and has lesser tourist traffic so it retains most of its charm. The streets seem wider and there seems to be more high-end and brand name stores leasing space in the historic rowhouses. The coffeeshops are real coffeeshops, with no telltale smell of grass burning.

There are also a variety of restaurants surrounding the canal area, some have tables down at the canal level itself. Their menu offerings seem to be more affordable than Amsterdam's, though I only checked menu prices of 3 restaurants.

1  Thank hizonfire
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Are definitely fascinating, especially at night with all the lights. But every season has its charm!
I live here, so I visited them for the past 40 years as a couple, with me family, friends and co-workers and still loving them! But what I like best is to take a walk solo.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The grachten or canals in Utrecht transport to you a different era. They've been preserved really well and it's one of the reasons we've made Utrecht our home. It's really a beautiful city centre and one of the must-see places in Utrecht.