“No one was even there...”
Review of Hotel Coen Delft

Hotel Coen Delft
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Delft
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I'd booked the Hotel Coen Delft through a legitimate and global 3rd party booking agency about 5 days prior to my trip. I emailed the Coen Delft to clarify the booking was in fact legitimate to which I received an email confirming that. There was me thinking everything was sorted and I was looking forward to my trip. I'd had a horrendous day travelling to Delft in what can only be described as Mediterranean heat and was desperately looking forward to checking in, having a shower, and getting some dinner. As the train line was broken between Rotterdam and Den Haag, I needed to get a tram from DH so I ended up walking from a tram point instead of rolling into the station and taking the 1 minute journey to the hotel (granted the hotel is in a very good location)....I arrive at the hotel, none of the lights are on (it's roughly 6/7pm on a monday evening), no one is responding to the door bells, I call the emergency number on the front which appeared to be the owner, to which the automated message informs me this number doesn't exist, I'm banging, ringing, all sorts. I was in a bit of a situation and I was desperate for some form of life, it didn't even seem like any guests were there. Bizaare to say the least. It seems a small group of Chinese people had the same problem. I'm sure the hotel itself is fine, but this type of situation should never happen at a 3 star establishment, or any for that matter. They could have AT THE VERY LEAST informed me that they would not be open for check in, and for me to find alternative accomodation, that would have made me very angry, but at least I could've sorted myself out. They completely screwed me and left me stranded in a foreign country with no form of accomodation. Thank god for the 3rd party website, as they immediately found me a new (better) hotel and they offered to pay the difference. So to be honest I'm absolutely delighted that the Coen Delft weren't open that day, but I'm also extremely angry at their gross negligence and horrendous management. I've not even heard from them since, no email to apologise or to clarify what happened. In short, probably a good hotel, location great, potential to ruin your trip/make it a lot more stressful. How often that particular situation happens is another question...just be warned!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Jonathan K

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Normal hotel, not very nice staff (one of the receptionist)
but clean, although is very close to the station the train noise did not bother me
bed is too soft though... but overall ok.
Just an average hotel , expensive as all in Delft... :)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We wanted a hotel for a family of three to visit various locations in the Netherlands. We had a large room at the front didn't notice the trains and the staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly.
Paul Lucy and Bethan - england

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 19 March 2013

If you like a taste of 'old Dutch', you might like this Hotel next to Delft train station. Unfortunately the atmosphere in the bar is depressing. Room is good, however. But, I expect in Summer, without airco and trains running at 20 metres from your window, this will not be okay. Poor breakfast! Completely empty trays on the buffet... Wifi is insufficient!

Room Tip: Get a quiet room at the back (no trains)
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Hoten Coen is handily placed just across from the railway station, and only a few minutes walk from the centre of Delft. The reception area is Ok, and the staff friendly. Travelling on my own I only had a small single room. It didn't have a kettle or anything to make drinks with which was a drawback. The only other problem was with the bathroom where the shelf above the sink was very inconvenient and blocked easy access to it.
Breakfast was adequate, buffet style.
The hotel was quiet. I did have a room at the back, but speaking to other guests at the front proximity to the railway was not a problem.
The cost of 100 Euro for a single room with breakfast perhaps may not necessarily be the best value around but reasonable value for money.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank stevecosslett
Reviewed 23 September 2011

The location is excellent - just a stone throw from the Delft train station. Surprisingly that didn't make it noisy, so I slept well. Room was tiny but enough. Breakfast was included and it was pretty rich and filling. Staff are most helpful! There is an elevator which is just wonderful when you are lugging a gigantic bag. Everything was comfortable - no complaints.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank thecosmopolitan
Reviewed 12 August 2011

The price was 69 Euros for a room of barely 8 square meters . The bath room was fine; the rest was less than one would expect after travelling fro Greece, through Turkey, the Balkans, etc., to Nederland for two months. On this trip, I stayed at numerous hotels, but Coen was the most expensive and the only one charging 2 Euros to park my bicycle in the yard with the mentality expected from a corner store. Coen is in Delft, and it is actually in my native city, where I felt screwed. I declined the 8 Euro breakfast. I had a choice, but I was tired; it was bad weather, and Coen is at the station. My mistake.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo