“Nice rooms, bad service”
Review of Inner City Hotel

Inner City Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Dordrecht B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 May 2014

First of all, the hotel itself is absolutely wonderful: the rooms are comfortable (albeit a little small), the beds are soft, and the bathroom and shower are very nice. However, the people who work at the hotel are not the nicest staff I've met. They don't speak English particularly well, making communication difficult, and whenever we actually did communicate they were not very polite. For example, on of my friends asked to borrow a butter knife from the lobby to cut a block of cheese we had bought earlier that day and she was very rudely denied. Additionally, they claimed that my group had not paid for our rooms (which we had several months earlier) and demanded that we pay again using the credit card. We did and cancelled the payment we had made earlier, but it was still a needless hassle.

Room Tip: Try getting one of the rooms with a balcony, it's nice eating a meal out there after a long day.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank southwestgent

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotei is not professional hotel. Upon our arrival they charged to my credit card. It's okay.
When we check out at 8am on Monday,no staff were in the reception and staff in the restaurant told us that front staff comes at 9am. We were unable to have receipt when we checked out.
Then foresaid staff advised us to leave our name card so that they can send receipt via e-mail.
One month has passed. Their receipt was never issued.
Besides,toilet in the room was like public toilet(many stains are on the floor) and room floor was not flat. Bed was the worst.Very thin man on the bed is easy to slip. I feld down from the bed first time in my life.

Room Tip: Better sleep in the park.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tyhoon
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My wife and I decided to go to Dordrecht on our 30th anniversary. Although we had never heard of the city itself, or the hotel for that matter, I can say that we surely'll be back again. Everyone we met from the staff went out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible. We enjoyed a few beers with the manager, who was very knowledgeable and helpful with tips for visiting Dordrecht. We hope to come again soon!

Greetings from Ireland,

The MacMellie's

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sean M
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Basic but clean. Very friendly staff. Bizarre breakfast for an Englishman. Great location for trips to other towns and the train station is just around the corner. Dordrecht is a very pretty town with a few good restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Damion L
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I had a single room. They have great, large showers. The matresses are thin, memory foam type but I did find it had a tendency to slip off the bed. Suitable range of breakfast buffet items that more than met our needs. Staff were all friendly and helpful, our understanding is that most are on apprenticeships, you wouldnt know, they all did their jobs well

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Stayed in Dordrecht one night mid winter to visit a concert. (Katatonia in the Bibelot venue.)
It's a basic hotel but most important to me everything was clean, everything worked, big comfortable showercabin and a warm bed. Desk with a waterboiler and a cup with a bag of tea and sugar on it, nice.
Slightly noisy but yet to find a basic hotel that isn't and you need some luck with your neighbours so no real complaint there.
Good location, friendly people, very good extensive breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2012

About a 5-minute walk to the train station and 3-minutes from where I was having a meeting, so for me, it was a very convenient location. About a 10-minute walk from the older part of town.

They've tried to make do with an old building without overhauling the rooms so the rooms are definitely funky. Uneven floors, narrow hallways, threadbare indoor/outdoor carpeting. The furnishings are cheap but the bedding is decent. I was in a first-floor room off the back of the hotel (car park) with large french doors that opened onto a deck over the car park. There were two beds and the first one I got into I nearly sunk to the floor it was so soft and worn out. I then realized all the single travelers have probably slept in that bed, so I moved to the other bed (against the wall) and it was much firmer. The beds definitely need to be replaced.

Sink is in the room while the toilet and shower are each a separate room. The shower was great! Plenty of hot water and large shower head.

But there are several things about the room that are unnecessarily funky. They have this convoluted system for turning on the lights in the room. Not just "put your key in the slot" but "put your key in the slot then push this specific button on the remote that's also the TV remote" Anytime there has to be a printout next to the door on how to turn on the lights in the room...it's a problem. Although it seemed to be a decent flat panel TV, the TV was waaay to far away from the bed to be practical and the table that had the tea kettle on it was nowhere near an outlet so making tea involved moving the table. The "closet" was actually two metal lockers (like you'd see in a gym or a school). Too narrow and small to serve any practical storage purpose. Overall, it seemed like someone purposefully came in and said "OK, where is the worst possible place we can put the furnishings in this room...that's what we'll do."

Breakfast was a decent selection of meat, cheese, bread and fruit. Coffee/tea/juice to drink. I was never asked about hot food so as far as I know they don't have any.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business