“indifferent management reflected by the staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Dordrecht

Hotel Dordrecht
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Dordrecht
Northumberland
“indifferent management reflected by the staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

It is very handy for the town centre, which is the only reason for staying there That is its only positive. We found the service casual and uncaring. Familiarity breeds contempt I suppose. We stayed for some weeks. This is an over priced hotel which coasts on the fact that is the only hotel within Dordrecht.
Some of us moved to the Bastion which although further away is paradise in comparison with a smart and efficent staff and comfortable atmosphere

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Troutmotor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2009

Dordrecht only has one hotel at this time, located within walking distance of the city. Parking is a challenge and this hotel also has free parking. This is where the attraction ends. I found the hotel on line. The pictures were charming, but when we arrived we discovered, no elevator, carpet thread bare and I doubt if the room has been painted in 10 years. In the case of this old mansion, "old" did not translate into "charming." Our troubles began the first night of a four night stay when we suffered through the night with no heat. I complained the next morning and was told it must be a mistake, again no heat at night. For all of our four nights, we had no heat. (There was not other hotel to move to and we needed to be in Dordrecht for an emergency.) The second night, the cigarette smoke began. We had been told that it is illegal to smoke inside in public places in Holland. Our room was non-smoking, but all night long cigarette smoke kept filling the room. I called the desk to complain and was told, "I have no clue." The following morning, I was offered another room, three flights up, no elevator, in the attic! This was totally unacceptable, so they promised no smoking. Did not matter, we discovered the staff was smoking! For 160 Euro a night, we suffered these offenses along with dish towels for your bath ( my husband wouldn't use to wash his car). At check out, we requested some consideration in the fees. We were ignored. The manager could not decide without the owner who was returning the evening of our checkout. I asked the owner to call or email me, nothing - stone wall. Until this hotel improves its service or lowers its prices, I predict it to fail.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Happynavigator

Travellers are raving about these Dordrecht hotels

Linthicum, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

In spite of this being one of my favorite hotels in Europe, I will mention negatives in my review, no fear. I've stayed here 4 -5 times over the years and have two more bookings coming up in the next few weeks. I always ask for a room in the main house, an old mansion. The new wing situated in the back garden is modern and lacking in charm. However, there are good points: It is dead quite; on the upper level you can leave the windows open 24/7; it is quite warm and toasty at night; plus the rate is cheaper. If you are arriving late and only staying one night, the new wing is just fine.
The main house has much larger rooms with high ceilings and each is decorated differently. Although the hotel is situated on a main street into town (across from a haven on the River Maas), there is minimal noise. I’ve stayed in a room overlooking the street and river and slept completely undisturbed.
The bathrooms in the old house can be smallish, retrofitted affairs. I’ve had both average size and dinky. The main sleeping area is where I want my space, so if bath size is an issue for you, be sure and request a room with a larger one.
Parking is free and located around the rear of the hotel, which is accessed via a side street. It also has security cameras and (I think) there is a gate to close the driveway at night. Free parking is an amazing amenity for a European hotel and I heartily appreciate it.
Breakfast is included with your room and you can order American, English, or contenential. This meal and service is consistently excellent.
The bar is great! You meet interesting travelers of all sorts (business with the port, historical tourists, outdoor types) having a drink before dinner. Very friendly, safe, cozy, well lit, clean (isn’t everything in the Netherlands?); the dream bar you’d have in your own house if you had one.
I can’t say enough about the staff: Accommodating, honest, service-oriented, knowledgeable, and of course, multi-lingual.
I’d recommend making reservations well ahead of time. Hotel Dordrecht is very popular and I’ve changed travel plans to stay here.

• Liked — Staff is super
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank mer_from_MD
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2007

Hotel Dordrecht was, originally, the private home of a nineteenth century banker who took up painting. You can see his pictures on the walls of the house. It's a redbrick mansion on the river front with an additional square block behind the house toi take the overflow. There's a quaint, very well stocked bar at the back of the main house and, when I stayed there, the manager provided a very warm welcome and invited me in for a complimentary drink.
I enjoyed the place enormously - it was so quiet - and I found the very friendly, personal service a welcome change.
My only criticism would be the stark nature of the blockhouse at the back of the main house. It was functional and little more.
For anyone wishing to explore Dordrecht this is an ideal choice of hotel and I would recommend it without hesitation .

• Liked — The genuine, friendly staff
  • Disliked — The spartan nature of the blockhouse at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Ruairi T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dordrecht
Villa Augustus
#1 of 1 in Zwijndrecht
Hotel de Watertoren
Hotel de Watertoren
#6 of 8 in Dordrecht

Been to Hotel Dordrecht? Share your experiences!