“A variety of pluses and minuses”

Hotel de Keizerskroon
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Gouda
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We booked two rooms for four people, with single beds. We received exactly that, with one being nicely decorated and airy while the other was a bare, unattractive, smoke-smelling oversized closet. The management, while sympathetic, had nothing else to offer, apparently. The bathrooms were adequate but bare and also unattractive. Breakfast was fine but after some other guests took food for the day (sandwiches) and things ran out, there was a refusal re replacing missing items--such as hard boiled eggs. Thus, a relatively pleasant place was tarnished by these few negative details.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MZ07040
There are newer reviews for Hotel de Keizerskroon

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Whilst on a trip between two events (one in Belgium, one in The Netherlands), I decided to stay in Gouda at De Keizerskroon. And it was superb! Friendly welcome, nice atmosphere. I was in their annex a few doors down, but the room was clean and smart. There's free Wi-Fi if you want it, the breakfast was tasty and there's even draught beers to enjoy sitting in the "front room" - the building is too narrow to call it a lobby. The only downer was that the air conditioning was on in my room and I couldn't turn it off (it was a cold April night).
The hotel does not have parking, but Gouda is small enough to permit parking elsewhere. And the hotel is about 3 minutes walk from the Grote Markt, meaning it is ideal. I'd gladly go again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank djw2000
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We arrived in Gouda on a cold night in the off-season (mid-November) and were thrilled to find this little hotel right near the main canal and town square. Room at the front of the house was great, especially for the price - clean, spacious and comfortable. Bathroom was also large and clean. Friendly young owners recommended a restaurant (Scheeps) for dinner which was an easy stroll from the hotel and most enjoyable food amongst lots of local diners. Breakfast at the hotel was one of the best we had in Holland. Definitely stay in Gouda for a night - less touristy than Delft and even more charming.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NoFixedPlans
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We had family room, 4 single beds.... Comfortable beds. Bathroom was adequate. Room very clean .
The lady working was very cheerful and pleasant .
Very good breakfast buffet.
5 minute walk to the groot markt , center of gouda
We would return .

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Decent place. Great location. Gouda is a lovely underated place and there is very little competition as nobody stays there overnight. So having said this, we liked this hotel. It's in two parts oddly, and our party was spli between the main house and an annex. Our room can best be described as spartan, but it was reasonably priced and bot bad overall. The owners were really nice, friendly, serve a range of decent beers and a very good breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We had big suitscase but there was no escalator or lift at Gouda station. We cannot find taxi outside the station, so we had to walk 10 minutes to the hotel dragging our heavy baggage. It was very hard for us. Other than that, we enjoyed staying Hotel de KeizersKroon. The owner was kind, and young woman (her daughter?) was always smiling and helpful. The breakfast was good enough. Only one thing - there was no bathtub in our room which was a shame.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank chika925
Reviewed 17 September 2009

I don't think this hotel was BAD but it wasn't very exciting. Lovely old building, well located in Gouda, which is a charming little town. However I didn't love my stay.

My room was TINY. Seriously tiny. I'm 5"1 but this was a postage stamp. It was like a little cell with a single bed lined against a wall, a sink and a fold up/down desk. I opted for a shared bathroom which was fine in principle. It was next to my room and equally tiny. Mini shower and really quite basic. Not particularly pleasant, but clean and with warm water. However all this cost me 53 euros, which is a lot of money for a postage stamp.

The staff seemed to work mainly in the restaurant downstairs. They were quite friendly and spoke good english and found secure parking for my bike which was appreciated. However what worried me was that as it was a Sunday, the restaurant closed in the pm. I had a key to get in and out, but there seemed to be no-one on the premises from the hotel. I couldn't see any kind of 'in an emergency, call this number' signs, and to be honest, travelling alone and 6 months pregnant, it kind of worried me.

The other downside was the stairs. My room was up two flights of stairs. I'm quite fit but these stairs were ridiculously high and very narrow, so it made for quite scary climbing and descending. However I totally understand that this was an old Dutch building and it was part of the style of the building. Just thought it might be worth flagging for less able travellers.

On the good side? Excellent breakfast buffet included in the price.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gouda
Best Western Plus City Hotel Gouda
Hotel de Utrechtsche Dom
Campanile Hotel Gouda
Hotel Over de Brug
Hotel Over de Brug
#1 of 1 in Haastrecht
Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - Nieuwerkerk
Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - N...
#1 of 1 in Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel
De Arendshoeve - Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Hotel de Keizerskroon? Share your experiences!