“Bad Experience - Rude Staff”

and 1 more site!
Hotel de Keizerskroon
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Gouda
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Bad Experience - Rude Staff”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I booked directly with the hotel and having read the reviews requested to have a room in the main building and not on the ground floor. On arrival we were told that we had to pay first for our two night stay and were then taken to the room.
However we were taken to a room on the ground floor in the annex building. When I said to the lady that this was not what I had requested, she became very rude and insisted I was lying, even though I showed her my booking email. She refused to provide a room as requested and stormed off.
The room was very small, with only a few inches between the twin beds. It was however very clean. I then spoke to the man running the hotel and he said that direct bookings via their internet site come through via another company. He was apologetic and offered me a glass of wine as compensation. So a mixed review, but our stay was tainted by our rude welcome. On a positive note the breakfast was good, with a wide choice of continental food.

Room Tip: Request room not on ground floor, to avoid noise from the street
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ade S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Casual little hotel located in the historic centre of Gouda. We stayed in a separate building from the reception. Room had been recently redecorated. Spotlessly clean if a little on the small side. Perfectly adequate for our stay though and good value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This is a nice little hotel located near the heart of Gouda. The check in and welcome were friendly and I got help carrying my luggage to the room which was located in a building a few doors along the street.
The room was very small and the mirror in the en suite was above my head height, but those are my only negatives, everything else about the stay was delightful. It is great to get complimentary wifi in hotesl, if a little hotel like this can manage it I don't know why the larger hotels think they can charge for it. There is a good range of breakfast food on offer in the morning too.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We were staying at the hotel for a night. The hotel is located in quiet surrounding near the center of the city and in walking distance to the railway station and main market square. We had a room with bathroom which was rather small but clean, functional and equipped with everything what was necessary. The staff was very friendly and helpfull. We really liked the decor of the building and hole stay there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We booked two rooms for four people, with single beds. We received exactly that, with one being nicely decorated and airy while the other was a bare, unattractive, smoke-smelling oversized closet. The management, while sympathetic, had nothing else to offer, apparently. The bathrooms were adequate but bare and also unattractive. Breakfast was fine but after some other guests took food for the day (sandwiches) and things ran out, there was a refusal re replacing missing items--such as hard boiled eggs. Thus, a relatively pleasant place was tarnished by these few negative details.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MZ07040
Backnang, Germany
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Whilst on a trip between two events (one in Belgium, one in The Netherlands), I decided to stay in Gouda at De Keizerskroon. And it was superb! Friendly welcome, nice atmosphere. I was in their annex a few doors down, but the room was clean and smart. There's free Wi-Fi if you want it, the breakfast was tasty and there's even draught beers to enjoy sitting in the "front room" - the building is too narrow to call it a lobby. The only downer was that the air conditioning was on in my room and I couldn't turn it off (it was a cold April night).
The hotel does not have parking, but Gouda is small enough to permit parking elsewhere. And the hotel is about 3 minutes walk from the Grote Markt, meaning it is ideal. I'd gladly go again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank djw2000
Toronto
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We arrived in Gouda on a cold night in the off-season (mid-November) and were thrilled to find this little hotel right near the main canal and town square. Room at the front of the house was great, especially for the price - clean, spacious and comfortable. Bathroom was also large and clean. Friendly young owners recommended a restaurant (Scheeps) for dinner which was an easy stroll from the hotel and most enjoyable food amongst lots of local diners. Breakfast at the hotel was one of the best we had in Holland. Definitely stay in Gouda for a night - less touristy than Delft and even more charming.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NoFixedPlans
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gouda
Best Western Plus City Hotel Gouda
Hotel de Utrechtsche Dom
Campanile Hotel Gouda
Hotel Over de Brug
Hotel Over de Brug
#1 of 1 in Haastrecht
Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - Nieuwerkerk
Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - N...
#1 of 1 in Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel
Hampshire Hotel - De Arendshoeve

Been to Hotel de Keizerskroon? Share your experiences!