“Hmmmm...not too bad”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Gouda
Leeds, UK
“Hmmmm...not too bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

I don't think this hotel was BAD but it wasn't very exciting. Lovely old building, well located in Gouda, which is a charming little town. However I didn't love my stay.

My room was TINY. Seriously tiny. I'm 5"1 but this was a postage stamp. It was like a little cell with a single bed lined against a wall, a sink and a fold up/down desk. I opted for a shared bathroom which was fine in principle. It was next to my room and equally tiny. Mini shower and really quite basic. Not particularly pleasant, but clean and with warm water. However all this cost me 53 euros, which is a lot of money for a postage stamp.

The staff seemed to work mainly in the restaurant downstairs. They were quite friendly and spoke good english and found secure parking for my bike which was appreciated. However what worried me was that as it was a Sunday, the restaurant closed in the pm. I had a key to get in and out, but there seemed to be no-one on the premises from the hotel. I couldn't see any kind of 'in an emergency, call this number' signs, and to be honest, travelling alone and 6 months pregnant, it kind of worried me.

The other downside was the stairs. My room was up two flights of stairs. I'm quite fit but these stairs were ridiculously high and very narrow, so it made for quite scary climbing and descending. However I totally understand that this was an old Dutch building and it was part of the style of the building. Just thought it might be worth flagging for less able travellers.

On the good side? Excellent breakfast buffet included in the price.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
amsterdam
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2008

We paid 80 Euros for a room which absolutly wasn't worth it.
The room wasn't really clean, the beds killed our backs. The bed could hardly fit in the room so one of us, couldn't get out of bed without climbing to the foot end. We couldn't fit on the toilet, because there was no room for your legs. Next to all that the TV hardly had any channels on it and the remote didn't work well either.
All this wouldn't be the end of the world, till we metioned to one of the owners that we thought 80 Euros for such a poor room was a bit much. She than reeacted really offended and told us we shouldn't attack her like that. She took it really personal and got angry with us. This was the last thing we expected.
Like I said the poor room for 80 Euros was someting we could live with, but when an owner of a hotel reacts like that, I think she shouldn't be in the hotel business.
Our advice is: Don't go to the Keizerskroon in Gouda.

• Liked — Location. Center of the city
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank tijl

Travellers are raving about these Gouda hotels

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2006

I got a really nice room here at the last minute, with bathroom en suite, for less than I'm used to paying for a room with bathroom down the hall. The manager was very friendly and helpful in giving advice about our travels. Best of all, the breakfast was excellent--extensive and delicious. The location is good, too.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Stayed December 2004, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Gretch79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gouda
Best Western Plus City Hotel Gouda
BEST WESTERN Museumhotels Delft
NH Capelle
NH Capelle
#1 of 1 in Capelle aan den IJssel

Been to Hotel de Keizerskroon? Share your experiences!