“Lovely staff”

Rembrandt Hotel Leiden
Ranked #6 of 15 Leiden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I went to Leiden for a belly dance festival. It was an amazing and exciting weekend! The hotel is small, safe and close to everything. Less than 5 minutes from the train station. The breakfast was delicious and even the restaurant food was really good. The staff was so helpful and patience with me and all my questions.They were always smiling and very receptive. The rooms are a bit old, maybe need some paintings. My room had a very conformable bed, very clean, nice TV. I will go back next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank fkeml

Reviewed 1 September 2012

Service and welcome at reception was exceptional and personal - very warm. But given the fact that we had booked one of the more expensive rooms it was a bit disappointing to get a room that was plain - a bit like a hostel room. Both furniture and decoration was basic - no problems but no thrills either. The hotel boasts free wifi but during our three days we were not able to find a spot with proper coverage even close to reception - more investment needed! Breakfast was not impressive considering the price. Location is really great - close to city center and most activities.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SorenLotte
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights in August 2011. The hotel is very well located, in walking distance to centre and to the rail station. Room was clean but very small. Service is quite absent. Overall, it is a nice, but expensive and a bit pretentious. We had to leave one night earlier (originally booked for 3 nights), and despite saying so on our arrival, and the house rules allowing it until 24 hrs before, we were charged for some nicky-picky details. Did not like that. At the restaurant the food good, and service nice.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DaPadova
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We spent three nights at the Rembrandt Hotel in Leiden with friends this year to see the tulip fields. Firstly, the staff were superb - very helpful and friendly. The rooms were just tired and the lamp was broken and bed uncomfortable. It is priced very fairly for a city centre hotel but nevertheless the basics should be good. We did not eat in so cannot comment on the restaurant service.

Room Tip: Choose one at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel. The bed was very comfortable, the staff is excellent and the location is very convenient. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Rembrandt hotel is centrally located near the train station in Leiden. It has a nice bar and restaurant on the ground floor with a great interior. The rate that I paid was definitely competetive for Leiden. In fact, it was the cheapest that I was quoted on hotels.com.
The breakfast buffet was good, but not included in the rate. Service was really good with very helpful staff.

On the downside, the room I had was a bit small and noisy. The rooms are basic with no extras beyond the standards. Internet is by cable and not included in the price.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing the road.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We were visiting our son in Leiden who is at university there. Finding a realistically priced boutique style hotel was difficult, so looked at the reviews on Tripadvisor. The Rembrandt Hotel was probably the best of bunch. After reading the reviews about some of the rooms, thought we had better only choose the “Deluxe” room.

I tried booking by emailing them in the evening and then discovered it was only an enquiry service. I found Bookings.com and booked through them as the room rate was discounted. It was still going to cost €125 per night for two plus €4 a night citytax. Why these taxes cannot be included, I don’t know., they include the VAT and it is rather like booking an economy air flight with loads of additional fees on top.

The next morning I received an email from the hotel with a quote for 3 nights, however the price was €135 per night plus citytax. I thanked them for the email and said I had made our booking through Bookings.com

They were very helpful answering my email about car parking and we arrived on the Friday afternoon. A very nice room, (Number 302) on the third floor with a very high ceiling going up into the roof and an electric remote controlled Veluxe sloping window. Everything looked good apart from the door handle in the shower room falling off and the waste bin in the bedroom had not been emptied. On the Saturday and Sunday they coffee and tea was not replaced and upon our return on the Sunday evening there was still a dirty cup and saucer by the bed.

After speaking to the people at reception twice, two sachets of coffee and some milk was left in the room for Monday morning.

Breakfast costs €12.50 per person. On the Saturday and Sunday we had our breakfast at local cafes and as we were heading home on the Monday morning decided to have breakfast there. There appeared to only be two others who had breakfast. It was not worth €12.50, maybe for two people but not for burnt bacon and long past the cooking time scrambled eggs.

On the P & O Spirit of France car ferry in the Langhams restaurant on the Friday morning we had an excellent breakfast for £13 per person that was worth every penny or cent, but the Rembrandt Hotel’s one was poor.

When I paid, the person at reception asked me if everything was OK, I replied that we had researched the hotel on Tripadvisor and a lot of the comments were not too complimentary and issue like not replacing the tea and coffee was not good . They have spent a vast amount of money re-furbishing the hotel to a very high standard and it is very smart, but is let down by small things like not refilling tea and coffee containers, not emptying bins and very expensive poor breakfasts and rather costly accommodation. €412.00 for three nights with breakfast on day three is a lot of money.

Will not recommend the hotel to any friends who are thinking of staying in Leiden

Room Tip: Take a deluxe room as I believe the other rooms are rather small
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple