“No value for money”

Golden Tulip Leiden Centre
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Leiden
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I find the no tea and coffee in your room unacceptable especially when it is offered by all budget hotels, the hotel rooms are very average.

The dinner menu was limited and I ate a bar snack that was not well presented and was a meagre portion, when the waiter asked how my meal was I said not even average" he simply walked away.

The water was noisy through the night through the radiators and when I sated all this at check out a feeble apology was offered - I will not rush back.

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Its centered in the city.. with decent basic breakfast
but the rooms are very basic. Mine has no safe. No tea/coffee maker
Internet is free but u have to register every 24 hours.
They have machines for snacks in each floor which is handy.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank abdallaahmad
Reviewed 6 November 2013

When I requested a room with a bathtub, I was upgraded to executive room from comfort room courtesy of the hotel.
The room was wide enough and was functional.
The reception staffs were great.
Since It takes 15-20 minutes to Leiden Central from Schiphol, you can check-in within a half an hour out of the airport.
Around five trains an hour run on this section.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I think the other reviewers have it nailed here. The hotel is within 400m of the train station, walking through the taxi rank. I took a car and was able to park at the rear of the hotel. The one way system is a bit of a pain though and getting to the hotel by car is less straight forward but ok, at least it keeps the City Centre traffic free. We arrived in the middle of a heatwave so up graded to the Golden from the Tulip next door to get AC, I'm glad we did because we wouldn't want less comfort than we had.Breakfast was good. Overall good value for money.

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel which was full, we found it quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

As a well-known chain in the country, it has a set of reliable qualities: helpful staff, spacious rooms, generous breakfast, reasonably priced and so on.
The hotel is very conveniently located, next to the train station, walking distance to the old town of Leiden. The old fashion (and spacious) lobby, lounge and restaurant are quite nice, although, in general, the deco of the hotel could use a bit of remodelling and renovation. The carpeting in the room is a bit aged, for example.
But I had a good stay, slept very well and had a hearty breakfast. Staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: As usual, higher floors are better
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Golden Tulip Leiden Centre is four stars hotel located in Leiden. I have selected this hotel because I could not find hotel in Amsterdam with reasonable price and I know Leiden was not really far from Amsterdam nor airport so I just guess it might be suitable location for two quick trip days. Also hotel was very close to market, train station and shops. Hotel is located in very suitable location for quick trip and it is very close to all needs. Frankly speak I was not anticipated Leiden is nice place to visit but I was very satisfied with trip. I have visited Holland more than 7 times but I did not realized that Leiden was worth to visit but I do now like Leiden and I would not mind to revisit again. So it very good option to stay in Leiden if you want to visit Amsterdam. Bear in mind that transportation in Holland is beatable.
One I reach hotel staff did not show welcoming atmosphere but it was ok. Check in went very quick and smooth. Also I was able to ask and get late checkout. Reception and entrance was not really promising however I hold my breath and I said I should wait to see room.
Room was medium size . it was enough for two person only. TV was ok. Bed was good. Bathroom was also Ok and furniture was also good. In general it was good and very clean. For solo traveller it was more than enough. I would rank it 8 out of 10.
I have decided not to have any foods at hotel due to three reasons I am very selective and I would like to have breakfast outside under Sun. Also I will not be available during lunch or dinner. Thus I could not evaluate foods.
Wi-Fi internet was free and good. I have not get any problem and it was easy to use

Room Tip: Hospital View
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MohamedAlJilani
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Such an excellent location next to the train station and just minutes from the city center. I've stayed in both the Golden Tulip and Tulip Inn rooms. Golden Tulip rooms are nicer... And the one I had this time had all new furniture on a renovated floor (which was actually the 2nd floor over on the Tulip Inn side). Breakfast is just ok. It is good for a day or two, but just not much a variety for a week. Staff are very friendly. Rooms are clean. But it is all about the excellent location!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business