“Fun for families”
Review of Holiday Inn Leiden

Holiday Inn Leiden
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Leiden
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Having chosen the hotel largely on price, I was pleasantly surprised. Our room faced out onto a large public forum, with a restaurant, greenery, and central fountain. Pool and table tennis tables gave the place something of a feeling of a holiday resort. We enjoyed the swimming pool and sauna; wifi was available free of charge. Like other hotels in the local area, breakfast seemed expensive, though we made our own arrangements. Overall, a fun place to stay; those looking for silence and seclusion might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed 2 nights, everything absolutely super for families. Perfect pool for kids, small relaxation area by the pool. Didn´t have meals there, so don´t know about the food.

Only thing to notice on the downside: You need a car. We stayed for going to Amsterdam, and planned going by train. Best tip for this is going to Amsterdam Arena by car and use the P+R option with tickets for the metro for 8 euro/24 h for 5 persons.

Also, no Wifi in the rooms. But there were good coverage in the bar, so this was not really a problem.

2  Thank Ayca L
Reviewed 22 July 2012

A great hotel with a great location to make a "star" trip.
The staff is very nice & helpful. rooms are big enough very clean. breakfast was more than satisfactory.
The only problem we had: the bed was to narrow for me and my wife (and we are not big people), but did not disturb/ruined the stay.

1  Thank BigO27
Reviewed 20 July 2012

What a strange place! It definitely feels like a 50s US motel and not a 4-star hotel.

My 'executive' room was on the second floor overlooking the huge warehouse-like space bolted on to the L-shaped room block. The air in this space was stuffy and filled with the smells of the 'restaurant' and the cries of children. The room itself was unremarkable but the fact that it gave onto an interior space and the window didn't open meant sleepless nights due to lack of fresh air.

The bathroom was odd with a very deep plastic bath which had an internal change of level which made using the shower uncomfortable and even a bit dangerous. The basin was set too far back in the unit to be comfortable and the magnifying mirror was fixed to the wall above the lavatory, at above head height (I am 1.68m)!
The restaurant only served buffet food which was overpriced, overcooked and really dull. As remaked elsewhere, one has the impression they take advantage of the fact that guests have no choice outside the hotel unless they drive or take a taxi. As many guests seemed to arrive in coaches, this clearly isn't often an option.

The hotel decor seemed totally random mixing Asiatic, African and anonymous modern objects in a tasteless ensemble.

Astonishingly there was no shuttle service during July and August. How can this be justified? The many companies in the nearby business park don't close in the summer months.

We had a meeting in the hotel one day. The corridor to the meeting rooms stank of drains. The lunch that we were served consisted of soup, cold processed meats and cheeses, a couple of tiny bowls of salad (mostly raw onion) and deep-fried croquettes and an unidentifiable gratin. Everything was so salty as to be virtually inedible.

As others experienced, breakfast was added to the bill left under my door the night before my departure - I was told by reception that it would be removed on request - but how many travellers leaving in a hurry check their bills carefully? There was also a minibar charge which I hadn't incurred. The fact that the bill was corrected immediately and without an apology or excuse suggested that the inclusion of unjustified items is a systematic practice.

Overall an awful experience - thank goodness Hilton will soon be opening a proper hotel in the area.

Room Tip: I suspect there are no good rooms but at least request one on the outside of the building to escape...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DMFG
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leiden, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear DMFG,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry the food was not up to your expectation. Your comments will certainly be looked into by management for improvements. I do hope that you give us a chance to prove you what we have done.

Irish V
IHGCare

Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

Staying here for 8 nights and so far I'm pretty impressed. It has ample on site parking ( at a cost ), Indoor Swimming pool & gym ( Free to use ), indoor tennis courts & squash courts ( at a small cost ). The rooms are of decent size, well fitted & equipped. The dining area is very different than a normal Holiday Inn or Hotel, most of the rooms over look the dinning area which has an almost tropical / botanical gardens feel to it. The food was buffet style but with a wide choice of well cooked foods available to suit all palletts and at a decent price too. Only annoying thing is that Internet has to be paid for, in this day & age from a large hotel chain we would expect to see this as complementary as in 80% of other large hotel chains. But after my little moan I would stay here again, definetly.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Kam S
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed two nights at the Holiday Inn in Leiden in July.

We booked through booking.com and had to book two rooms as we have three children (one baby, two bigger). However, when we checked in we only received a key card to one room after having confirmed with the receptionist that we were five persons. We thought nothing more of it at the time, as hotels sometimes allow five persons in one room if one of them is a baby, even though it can't be booked that way through booking.com. The room had two rather small double beds and a baby bed so we could all sleep there. The next morning however, my wife received a no-show e-mail. When asking about this mail at the reception she was told that we had booked two rooms but had only checked in to one of them and therefore had been no-shows to the other room and would still be charged in full. Furthermore, we could not be guaranteed to get the other room for the second night as it might not still be available. The receptionist was very insistent that this was all our fault and that there was nothing the hotel could do about this. Naturally, my wife would not accept this treatment and in the end a more senior member of the reception staff got involved and agreed that we were in our full right and would get the other room for the second night and be refunded the no-show charge for the first night. When we checked out the next day ther were further problems as we were charged three times for the breakfast even though we were only two nights. This was however corrected straight away when we pointed the error out to them.

The rooms were OK although we could not rent a film for the kids to watch as the staff could not deactivate a blocking of pay-per-view services, which apparantly is automatically activated in family rooms. The breakfast and dinner buffets were also OK; nothing impressing but not bad. The main positive thing about the hotel is the pool and the kids' playrooms, which were excellent, so this could be a good hotel to travel to with kids. However, after all the trouble we had at the reception I would advise anyone who visits this hotel to be careful to make sure to get what they pay for and only pay for what they get.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leiden, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Dear Andres I,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your wonderful comment regarding the pool and the playroom.

However, We’re sorry for the poor customer service provided by our front desk which was unacceptable. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Reviewed 1 June 2012

Stayed here on a business trip for 2 nights. Good 20 minute walk from the Station/Centre.

I wouldn't call it a four star hotel, more of a motel...

* Some rooms open directly onto the car park, on the ground floor, personally I don't like this from a 'female security' point of view as anybody could wander around the car park who were not hotel guests.

* No opening window in room and had to rely on air conditioning to cool the room, which I don't like and that didn't cool the room effectively.

* Room had a strange smell, probably cleaning fluids... but as I couldn't open the window, I had to live and let live.

* No plug socket near the mirrors for hair straighteners... that really bugs me, should I really have to take an extension lead.

*19.50 euro for breakfast buffet.... on just having a pastry and a coffee for breakie... it worked out just a bit expensive... and can anyone really eat that much bacon and eggs. No where close by to pick up alternative.

*145 euro for room only!!!!

* They had a lobster festival in the hotel that they charged 59 euro for per person... a bit steep in price, so didn't try it... but it didn't look very busy... very quiet.

* Express check out had automatically added the breakfast to my bill, so had to go to reception anyway on the last day...

I don't normally complain about hotels, and ultimately my company were paying for this one, but I just don't feel that I could give this a better score.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank JaxGallaghan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leiden, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Dear JacquieGallaghan,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Leiden and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I'm sorry you were not satisfied with the service and the accommodations you received on your recent stay. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A.