“One of Leiden's best”
Review of Restaurant Dartel

Restaurant Dartel
Reserve with
Restaurant Dartel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 295 Restaurants in Leiden
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2013

This restaurant is an absolute must for all; Leidenaars and visitors, foodies and non-foodies. The location is triple A, right in the heart of the historic center of Leiden only 100 yards from one of the places where Rembrandt used to live. The food is absolutely superb and seems to get even better on every successive visit. Recently an 8-course gastronomic tasting menu was introduced, which is a fabulous gastronomic experience that lasts the entire evening. The food in itself is magnificent, with some courses being magical pieces of art, whereas the portions are very keen: each course is modest yet satisfying, with the whole being the perfect amount for an entire meal! Together with the wonderful wine paring suggested by sommelier Judith van Vliet, this place will not disappoint even the most critical visitor. We are fairly experienced foodies (visiting Michelin-starred restaurants at least 8 times per year) but we will keep coming back to Dartel! Enjoy!

Reviewed 12 April 2013

The service was good, the food was very good, the location is absolutely charming and the decor is lovely. I expected more from the food though. Nothing made me stop and think, "wow!" As I have experienced in other restaurants in Leiden. It was clever, but not delicious. The wine pairings were uninspired. I actually left a third of the cheese course, which I'm not sure I have ever done before, as cheese is my favourite part of most meals. It was just blah. Worst of all, you do not take a reservation for 9PM and start cleaning the restaurant, with staff leaving in a very obvious way, at 10:30. Someone was cleaning the espresso machine not four feet from me as I was eating my cheese course. It was loud. There was steam. And people have commented that this restaurant deserves a Michelin star? No. It does not.

3  Thank BeatrixB
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The quality of the cooking is excellent, with finest ingredients. There is little choice, except for the number of courses you want, but the chef is willing to negotiate for vegetarians. He produced veggie options to match the number of courses my companion chose. We opted for the recommended wines to accompany the food, and suitable different wines were produced to go with my veggies. A bit pricey, but not extortionate, and definitely worth it.

1  Thank Mary B
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We had a fantistic evening with a group of ten friends. Wonderfull place with excellent food. The chef presented the options and we received great service. A place to go back for!

Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

Fantastic food really really great! Fun cuisine just amazing dishes ! This place comes highly recommanded gooooo

1  Thank Sander111