All reviewsbreakfast roomthe ground flooregg dishessteep stairsloft apartmentsmall buffetlovely mixdutch stairssplit levelwithin walking distancehot tubthe main hotelbeautiful roomlovely hoteldutch experiencecharm and characterroof garden
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

We had no problems checking in and received the rest on we requested. Be aware! Dutch stairs are steep, and these are steep, circular stairs. This would be a problem if stairs are difficult for you or you have large luggage. We find them quaint and normal.

They were very good at confirming our arrival and even had no problem when we arrived early. The only issue is that having a mini refrigerator in the room is wonderful, but not when you stock it with items that you want us to buy. We had to remove some of their items to put ours in. It would have been nice to have access to a microwave. It is a 20 minute walk from the train station, be prepared!

Overall, it was just what we expected.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Very welcoming service, good location, charming, delicious breakfast. Parking is available for a charge. Right on one of the canals, walking distance to areas of interest. Quiet on Saturday night, Sunday morning.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Lovely little hotel, walking distance from old Leiden. No lift and very small narrow staircase, so not recommended if you struggle with stairs, but they are happy to heave your luggage up if necessary! My room was on the top floor, lovely old beams, large bed, well appointed bathroom. Breakfast was additional to the cost of the room, but with a huge choice. Easy walk to the main part of historic Leiden. I was really happy with my choice!

Room Tip: if you have trouble with stairs, specify you need a ground floor room
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
ManagementBHL, General Manager at Boutique Hotel Huys van Leyden, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Everything is as it is. We could not describe it better! Hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards, HUYS VAN LEYDEN

Reviewed 6 June 2017

When I got to the hotel, I discovered that I was given Room #1. This room is immediately next to the hotel's main entrance and its door is next to the reception "desk" (more like a stand). That means that you will hear the other guest's comings and goings and their entire check-in. Even worse, the room's large front window gives on to the narrow sidewalk and the street itself, so you will hear every single car pass and every random conversation of passersby. When I booked this room, there were two left, so I did not get a special low rate nor was I given the last room. But when I got there, I was told that no other room was available, and there was no question of my being able to cancel even the second night without paying the full price. So, if you want some quiet and privacy, make absolutely sure when you reserve that you are not given Room #1.

Room Tip: definitely NOT Room #1
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Jorge37
Reviewed 21 May 2017

I have seen your response to RagsOxfords comments. I was a member of the same party.

Maybe it would be better to think about asking guests to warn you of their estimated arrival time so that someone could be there to greet them instead of expecting them to wait in the street. Or asking them in advance whether they had problems with extraordinarily steep stairs - which is simply inconsiderate for elderly guests.

A normal staircase? Let other prospective guests judge from the photo.

Two of us did indeed have to attend a memorial service on the Friday afternoon. Had we been enjoying ourselves, we would have left early in the morning. We had already paid, many months in advance and requested no refund. Your comment makes no sense.

The towels were white but mismatched.... I mean different edge detail and manufacture - also they were ragged, harsh and old. I have a photo which makes the point if you want to see it

I also noted that many of the brochures on display are dated from 2014 - it is as if your initial interest in running this hotel may have waned over the years

And as it happens the person you accuse of not being able to park a car is an ex rally driver, and the best person I know at getting in and out of a tight space.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends