I say "accidental" because the "hotel" is really just the top 3 (?) floors of an existing office building. The staff if very nice and very professional. If you're into working out when you travel (like I am), you'll find that the fitness room could rival most professional gyms...ample bikes, treadmills, etc. and some unique equipment (e.g. rope climber, etc.).
I list pros/cons below, but the biggest negative is the lack of a clear path to the ground floor without an elevator. The rooms this hotel owns are on the top floors of the building. My room was on the 11th floor and one day I decided to walk down using the stairs and discovered that there is a LOCKED DOOR on the 8 floor stairwell!!! This means that, in the unfortunate event that there is a fire, there is no escape for the residents. I asked the front desk about it and she assured me that the doors would "open in the event of a fire", but honestly, that didn't reassure me very much. I can't believe that such a modern city would allow locked stairwells - I have never seen that before.
- Staff is very nice and will do anything to help you
- Hotel is literally at Leiden Centraal Station...everything that this awesome city has to offer is just minutes away by foot and all other attractions are just a train/bus ride away.
- Room is clean and modern
- Fitness center is the best I've ever seen at a hotel - and I travel a lot.
- Biggest negative is the lack of a clear path to the ground floor in the event of an emergency
- Laundry: I stayed for a month, so obviously I had to do laundry a few times. When I travel in the States, I always bring about $10 in quarters for laundry, and that's good for a few loads. Here I had to have the laundry done for me by someone else. Here's a synopsis: $2 for a pair of socks (!!)...$9 for a pair of jeans (!!). Needless to say I spent hundreds of dollars in laundry. They really need a room full of washers/dryers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wakker worden met uitzicht op de duinkoppen van het Noordzeestrand of met een prachtig panorama over de oude binnenstad van Leiden, het zal niet bij hoge uitzondering zijn op de tiende verdieping van het multifunctionele gebouw Level. Direct gelegen naast het NS station en herkenbaar door zijn bijzondere gelaagde architectuur, is in september 2013 het nieuwe Hampshire Hotel Fitland - Leiden geopend. Een uniek hotel met 118 comfortabele hotelkamers en suites op viersterren niveau. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Ebookers, HRS, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Hampshire Hotel - Fitland Leiden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.