“Hellnight”
Review of Marienpoel Hotel

Marienpoel Hotel
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Leiden
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Outside the hotel it looked very nice. But when we went inside it was ******* disgusting. The service was really bad, especially that bald man. The rooms were very tiny and old. When we tried to sleep in the evening people were at the hotel next to us. We couldn't sleep because of the noise. No one should sleep here again, you'll have a hellnight.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank Jan P

Reviewed 20 September 2011

I booked online after searching several hotels offering a third 'child' bed in the room. This hotel looked good online but unfortunately did not live up to expectations. Firstly, there was no bar, breakfast room or lounge area for guests. Secondly, most guests have to access their room keys and 'instructions' from a wall safe outside the hotel as the staff are not in the building in the evening or overnight. Breakfast is pre-ordered and left in a basket on a shelf outside your bedroom at the alloted time. Our room was meant to be a superior one but with the added camp bed taking up all the space, three beds in a row with no walking space between soom became a problem. It was an unpleasant stay, we ended up spending all our time away from the hotel, only returning to wash and sleep. The price of the room was expensive and we had to pay for breakfas(7.50 Euros each) extra. Internet and added TV channels would have cost us an extra 22 Euro a day but we decided not to pay.The only plus side is we were able to book a car parking space at the rear of the hotel and it was relatively close to the station in Leiden. This is one hotel I shall not be returning to.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Serendipity2210
Reviewed 1 July 2011

The hotel did not offer good value for money. A manager/warden is present at reception only in the mornings. This means that guests arriving in the afternoon or evening have to retrieve their room key from a locker outside, using a code notified in advance. This has clear potential for problems. It also means that luggage cannot be left with the hotel for evening departure, which can cause causing considerable inconvenience since the left luggage lockers at the station only take Dutch credit cards, not coin. The breakfast is dumped on a shelf next to your room, as there is no breakfast room. At €12.50 it can only be described as a complete rip-off, since it consists principally of a selection of unpalatable processed food which seemed to have been bought in bulk at LIDL some time previously, and you get a single cup of tepid coffee. The level of service is quite unacceptable for small hotel in a provincial town, which is effectively charging prices which can get you quite a decent hotel in London (and twice what you would expect to pay for similar accommodation in Germany). Apart from that, the Wifi charges are exorbitant at €12.50 for 24 hours (bizarrely from 11.00 to 11.00), the TV did not work (it seemed you had to pay €10 to get any channels), the place was as full of notices about what you were not supposed to do as a reformatory and the taps in the bath/shower did not work (and were not repaired although the manager/warden was informed).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank Vaudrey
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Room was clean but not very attractive. In addition to the quite expensive room charge there was an outrageous charge of Euro 12.50 per day for an Internet connection and an additional Euro 10 to upgrade to TV channels including CNN.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank timkennington
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the center and train station, the fact that it was not a chain hotel and in great part because it said it had a kitchen with all the amenities. We were three and therefore had a triple, which was a comfortable bed made up in the "living room" area, there was the nicely appointed kitchen, table & chairs, separate bedroom and bath. No complaints there. The sign on the refrigerator said we could not store our own food in it. This defeats the purpose of having a room with a kitchen especially one that had pots, pans, etc. We had already purchased food at the grocery store by the time we saw the sign, so we stored things anyway. The staff that we encountered were very nice and helpful including the person we had to call to wake up when we got back to the room around midnight turned on the light and the chandelier started buzzing then blew out the electricity on one side of the room. She came right away and reset the breaker and we had no further issues. We had breakfast one morning, which was delivered to the shelf outside our door and we received a call telling us that it was there. The breakfast consisted of breads, meats, cheese, egg, coffee and juice and was quite nice. There was off street parking, which in the Netherlands in city centres is required!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank VHTA
Reviewed 8 February 2011

On my way to Switzerland I stayed in the Marienpoel Hotel for a small visit in Leiden, where I studied a few months in the past.

I don't understand the fuss about the service in previous reactions. Because of the traffic I arrived very late at the hotel and with their check-in system I was able to check in on my own very easily!
The room was very nice, cosy and clean (most important for me).
When I heard that the breakfast was based on roomservice, I wasn't too sure, but it turned out perfectly. There was enough space in the room to enjoy it and it was very good.
The receptionist (blond girl) was really kind and answered every question I had with pleasure. She showed me the way to the city-centre, wich was a 5-10 minute walk.

In total, I enjoyed my stay in Leiden, also thanks to this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank amk86
Reviewed 29 January 2011

I was looking for smoke- and pet-free accommodation in Leiden and was grateful that the Marienpoel was able to work on my request (whole hotel is pet- and smoke-free), esp sincer Golden Tulip allows pets in guest rooms and do not keep track of which rooms have had pets, nor allocate a certain number of rooms as pet-free. A private apartment, Het Vogelhuis, listed itself as smoke- and pet-free but turned out that owners have a pet in the house, so a no-go for me. Because I booked a couple of weeks ahead of time, the Marienpoel was able to tell me that they have no staff at reception after 1:00 pm, and sent me info on lockbox and code. Luckily, I was able to talk to staff from Amsterdam by phone the week prior, and got to the hotel before reception closed on the appointed day. The manager told me that it was a lot of work to get fragrance-free towels and bedlinens -- it looked like they did not have their own laundry facilities so they must send out their laundry to a laundrymat, which would use the least expensive detergent/soap, usually scented. Staff was friendly, all female the 2 days I was there, so the much-maligned male manager mentioned in other reviews has either been let go or was off work during my stay. The hotel has not had its decor updated, but it was what I expected for the price, definitely not a 4-star establishment. It has an elevator (great when you have heavy luggage), and was close to LUMC (for my meetings) and the Central Station. Wireless internet connection was 12.50 euro/day (Golden Tulip charges 17.00 euro/day), but not an issue for me since I had internet access at LUMC. My daughter used hotel computer for internet access and was charged 6.50 euro. The only negative for me was the carpet, which appeared that it had not been vacuumed-cleaned (dust bunnies near pocket door to bathroom), nor steam-cleaned recently so that the smell of cigarette-smoke from past smoking incidents would sometimes surface. I am sure my frequent communication with hotel staff helped make my stay at the Marienpoel as pleasant as it was. I would suggest that people intending to stay at Marienpoel communicate with staff as early as possible, if at all possible, I would not suggest it for same-day booking---Marienpoel has too many limitations.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business