“Nice hotel with good location”
Review of Marienpoel Hotel

Marienpoel Hotel
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Leiden
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Nice hotel with good location when visiting the Amsterdam area. Easy access to Amsterdam with train. Train station conveniently close by to hotel. Very good staff, helpful and friendly. Gave good advice about our visit to Amsterdam.

Parking on hotel property. Small area, but manager helpful to fit all cars.

Breakfast ok. Not bad, not good.

On the negative side, no AC. Very hot room in summertime.

Room Tip: If traveling during summer, try to get a room on east/north side as it will get hot from the sun oth...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MartinLindfors
There are newer reviews for Marienpoel Hotel

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I recently relocated to Holland from Eastern Canada to work and booked the Marienpoel hotel for an extended stay while I searched for a permanent apartment. I stayed for about 3 weeks, beginning in mid May, 2013.
The room was great! Very spacious. It had a separate bedroom and a living room (with wood floors) with a table, chairs, sofa and dresser. The ceilings were very high, giving a nice airy feel to the space. Lots of windows so when you are in the room during the day it is very bright. There were also two flat screen TVs, one in the bedroom, another in the living room both with an expanded set of channels (23 channels I believe). It is like a home away from home! Wireless Internet service is free and it works very well, never had a problem, worked like a charm. The room was immaculate and cleaned promptly every day. Towels and toiletries were also changed daily, the cleaning staff did a great job. The hotel is well maintained, during my stay, fresh paint was being applied to the exterior. I found the entrance and hallways were always very clean and free of obstructions. I rented a bicycle (when in Holland…) and there was no problem locking it up in the parking lot. The hotel is in a great location, the Leiden Centraal Station is only a 5 minute walk away and you can catch a train or bus to anywhere from there. I took a train to Amsterdam one Saturday, it was only about 6 or 7 Euros.
Edwin the owner/manager gladly prepared fresh coffee every morning before I went off to work and also went beyond the call of duty to help me during my initial stay in Holland. He helped me find my way around town with helpful tips as to where to go to get a mobile phone, bicycle and other things that I needed. I am also here to stay indefinitely, so he also had other helpful hints as to where to shop for furniture and other things that I will need to set up shop here. He also made some important calls for me in Dutch, making my life easier. In short I was made to feel like family during my stay at the Marienpoel! I highly recommend the Marienpoel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank David_S_2013
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I took 5 friends to stay in this lovely, quiet hotel where we rented a total of 3 rooms. It was my second stay here. It is convenient to the train station in Leiden with a walk of about 2 level blocks. We flew into Schipol, took the train from the airport to Leiden Central Station and walked to the Marienpoel Hotel. The bus to Keukenhof leaves from the train station often during the bulb season and tickets are sold at the train station both for the bus and the entrance for Keukenhof.
The owner and his son are delightful hosts and shared great insights of the local scene with us.
The rooms are lovely with large windows which have black out curtains and the bathrooms are spacious, clean and well equipped. A small refrigerator and a hot water pot made our simple breakfasts easy to prepare in the room.
Each room had a table and two chairs.
We did not want to drive on this trip and the convenience of this location made train travel and walking easy. It is a lovely walk to the heart of Leiden. There is a parking lot behind the hotel for autos.
Over the years I have stayed in several places in Leiden and this is my Number One favorite!
It is truly a home away from home! Book early! Many guests return repeatedly!!

Room Tip: There are two large suites, each with a spacious sitting room and a kitchen area, in addition to the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jan B
Reviewed 31 January 2013

First the pros: 1.great location, walking distance to the train station.
2. elevator 3. very clean (decor very minimal though) 4. quiet. 5. comfortable beds.
Now the cons: 1. $10 per day for wifi (who does that these days?) 2. doors locked on arrival at noon with no one in sight; tried 3 phone numbers posted on front door as we luckily had a friend with us who had a local cell phone (many travellers wouldn't) and took long time to reach someone to come open the doors. (we did have a reservation and after a 12 hour flight, this is not too welcoming) 3. no soap or shampoo provided. 4. breakfast included apparently but was charged separately on our pre paid bill at $10.00 per person and it consisted of crackers, a couple of slices of processed cheese and some dry bread...if you can negotiate a lower fee with no breakfast, go for it. The breakfast sucks.
There you have it, decide what's important to you. Not the friendliest place but it is priced decently and is well located.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank snoopy126
Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

Chaco in was easy, the room key safe is next to the front door. One key gets you into hotel and your room. Breakfast was fantastic, delivered hot to your room. Rooms had international tv channels and if you want more than 4 English tv channels it was 15 euros for 4 days! The Internet was expensive but free Internet was available if you search! The staff were lovely and made us feel very welcome. Would I stay again... Yes!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed for two days over a weekend. The service was fine, but you have to get used to the idea that you have the run of the place, and the front desk is closed except in the mornings. That was fine by me. The walls were thin, so need to run your itunes at night with some background noise. Again, no problem for me. Breakfast served to your room was a nice feature, and all of the staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Only nine rooms 1-3 on floor 0, 4-6 on floor 1, 7-9 on floor 2. 3,6,9 were didn't share a wall...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2012

A friend and I found this hotel online. The price seemed fair given the proximity of the hotel to the main train station. And proximity is the only redeeming factor of this place.

In mid afternoon on a weekday, we tried to "check in" for our one-night stay by accessing our room key in an outdoor wall safe. The problem was we couldn't get the key or locate any directions on how to do so. After a 15-minute phone conversation with a member of the staff (there was no phone provided, so we used our cell phone; international rates applied, thank you) we tried to follow his directions to get the key. Well, the directions didn't work. After we made two more phone calls to figure out the code and directions, we finally accessed the room key. Upon entry, we could not locate staff to ask questions or make a request. There was no one at the hotel to help us with anything during our entire stay. Literally, there was no one in the hotel!

The next morning we "checked out" by following the vague and bizarre procedures outlined in a brief posting in the room. In addition to our relevant contact information, we dutifully provided all our credit card information (name, cc #, expiration date, security code) on a form. Before departing, we searched the ENTIRE hotel in a good faith effort to locate a member of the staff to verify our payment. We found no one. And, of course, we placed yet another phone call, but this time no one answered. It was mid morning, a time when you'd expect a hotel to provide staff for check out. Not here.

With no other obvious option, we grudgingly deposited the form and our room key in a drop box. Then, we left the hotel and walked to the train station. About ten minutes after we left the hotel, a bald guy claiming to represent the hotel drove up to us, nearly hit us with his car and started screaming about how he was going to call the police because we hadn't paid for our room. Really???

To keep things legal on our end, we followed this guy back to the hotel to make a "proper" payment. He then presented us with a form that we had never seen, a form that was not provided in the room or mentioned in the instructions. In other words, we could never have made the payment properly according to this second form. But the bald guy had the gall to threaten to call the police as though we were in the wrong.

Marienpoel Hotel = terrible operations and abysmal customer service. I've been fortunate to travel the world over. I've stayed in pensions and dorm rooms up to 5-star hotels. Rarely have I encountered operations and customer service this poor.

Oh yeah, and the rooms are cramped and untidy to boot. No thanks.

This place is laughable as long as you don't fall victim to staying here. Don't be fooled.

Room Tip: AVOID this debacle of a hotel. If I could have rated this place a "zero," I would. Neve...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends