“Relive the 60's in 2014 style. Staying on a living museum.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of SS Rotterdam

SS Rotterdam
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Relive the 60's in 2014 style. Staying on a living museum.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Last night we stayed in a lovely spacious cabin with 2 port hole windows. The staff were really friendly and helpful. We had a delicous dinner in the Club-room. The chefs and the Maitre d Hotel did their utmost best to make our evening a pleasurable one. They looked after our special dietary needs really well. In the Captains lounge we had the most yummy chocolate mousse cake. The views from of the city from the ship were amazing. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bratislava, Slovakia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Let me tell you that maybe my expectations where just way to high, but from the beginning till the end this " hotel " was a dissapointment. I really love projects like this so I went here with high hopes only being slapped in the face with old claustrophobic hotel rooms without any good working modern communications. ( no internet in my room!!! ) And that is not what disturbed me the most, the most was the awful service in the bar, a trainnee barman who could not see the difference between a beer and a bitterball as well as a staff meeting just being held in the public guest area where I am trying to enjoy my well deserved drink!. ( they have plenty of space to hold their meetings, I believe )

Also don't be fooled that this hotel is anywhere near the city center, you need a taxi if you want to go quick and this costs you 16 euro one way. I would have asked my money back if it wasn't for the facts that I had to leave already at 5 in the morning to catch my flight and I somehow felt sorry to complain to the nightwatch.

Last but not least, okay I know it is a ship and you should expect this, but some rooms have no windows what so ever, so if you are looking for the great Rotterdam view, this is not the place to be!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jjmhen
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

After an afternoon of shopping in the city centre we checked in at 4PM at the SS Rotterdam. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful in supplying all needed info. Our cabin (1042) was very spacious, clean and tastefully decorated and had two portholes overlooking the port of Rotterdam, It was to early for dinner so we wanted to get some coffee and cake. Upon entering the Captains lounge we were asked to leave because it was 'busy' but we were assured the Ocean Bar was better, however this was jammed packed standing room only. So, we were send to the Lido terrace only to hear they weren't open for business yet. After being send from one to the other we went back to the reception asking were we could have a drink. The host told us to follow him and we went through the same trail we had just done also to be refused every were we went including some very rude feedback from the waitstaff to the host who was just trying to accommodate us. Finally we just went back to the starting point at the Captains lounge and told the host we didn't feel very welcomed. He asked the hotel manager to speak with us and got offered a complimentary drink. After this rocky start we had a beautiful dinner with some very friendly staff at the Lido terrace and a nice and quiet drink after at the Oceans bar. The beds in the cabin were very comfortable as well as the pillows. The shower worked great in the evening but the next morning had no water pressure and all we had was a miserable little trickle of water to wash up with. The breakfast buffet was sumptuous with lots of choices in anything you may wish for although the coffee machine was out of order but this was resolved with cans of coffee from the other restaurant. The audio tour was very interesting and I learned a lot about the history of the ship but the movie at the end of the tour was broken so we couldn't see this. All and all I have enjoyed my weekend getaway but I believe the hotel staff can make some major improvements in the hospitality field.

Room Tip: Room 1042 was very nice
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bailly-romainvilliers
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

The ship was very impressive and the staff very friendly.. Exactly what we had expected.
We were 2 adults and 2 kids for the new years day and none of us was disappointed... We had made a reservation for 2 superior cabins, Well eqquiped....
We would happily come back...!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Elvire P
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We have been this hotel 2 times now both times we stayed on christmas eve and went clubbing, all rooms are comfy, staff friendly and good value for money, different experiance to ur average hotel been on a ship. Good location for factory 010 Maassilo......

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gabbatoe
Rotterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Visited the SS Rotterdam on December 29th for Dinner and Drinks in the Lideo Restaurant. Had a 2 year old toldler with us so requested a table by the childrens play area. The Hostess said "Sorry, those tables are not cleaned yet and we are too busy to clear them now" We saw a table and asked if we could wait for that table to be cleared and was told, we are too busy and we do not know when we can clear the tables. We were offered a table far away from the childrens area but that would not work as the parents wanted to keep an eye on their two year old. So we decided to wait at an adjacent table to see if the table we were waiting on would be cleared. Finally a very nice waiter came over and we explained why we were waiting for that table. The waiter immediatly went over and cleared the table for us and served us a very nice meal with very nice service. The meal and service was nice however the Hostess should be reminded she is in a Customer Service position and should be trained further.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I stayed on the SS Rotterdam for 2 nights since a conference I was attending was taking place on the ship. It was kind of cool to have it on a boat and getting to stay on the boat is a bit different too. The boat is absolutely huge. I unfortunately didn't get to see too much of the boat since I was attending the conference most of the time. But I can say that the food was alright for the Netherlands. A huge breakfast spread, the usual sandwiches, savoury pastries and milk at lunchtime and a nice variety of food at dinner where there was the conference social event. Service was quite good I found during all of the food service times.
My room was big for a boat room (they are usually tiny), but I did have a superior room. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. Of course, the windows don't open since it's a boat. The mini-library in my room was a nice touch, but too bad I don't know any Dutch! The doors aren't that sound proof and you really hear it when people walk by in the hallway or close their doors. The cleaning staff for some reason also came knocking on all of the doors in the morning which I am sure is disruptive for those who want to sleep in.
For those here to really visit Rotterdam itself, it's not exactly an ideal location since it's not in the centre and not close to public transport, so you will either need a car, or do as the Dutch do and ride a bike.
But overall, I did enjoy the stay here since it's not every day that I get to stay in a hotel on a boat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business