“3 Laptops and 1 phone stolen and hotel does nothing!!”

Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam-Blijdorp
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
london
“3 Laptops and 1 phone stolen and hotel does nothing!!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Large group stayed in the hotel and my good friend from a locked room had his laptop and phone stolen. Hotel wanted to do nothing and when speaking to others 2 other laptops had also been stolen in the same week!!
Poor show from the hotel when items are being taken from locked rooms.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank redsoxowen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for 6 nights. We had just travelled from Amsterdam, looking to experience what city life was like in other parts of the Netherlands. We chose the hotel after seeing it on our company benefits website. It has positive reviews and nothing that was a cause for concern.

Upon arriving, we checked in. The staff were a bit flat and by that, I mean they just seemed very process driven and didn't really interact with us. They weren't rude by any measure but we found some of them to be less than helpful. Most of the staff speak English, much like the rest of the n
Netherlands.

Our room was relatively spacious, there was a fridge to store our own food. The bed was large and comfortable and the linens acceptable, they were far from luxurious but we only paid for a standard double, so that was to be expected. Tea and coffee making facilities was provided and topped up regularly. Housekeeping filled up extra sugar for me as I brought my own tea. The wardrobe was ample, with shelves and a safe. The bathroom was good, it had a shower cubicle, with stone flooring. Unfortunately the sink was a bit damaged by two cigarette marks but was mostly just cosmetic. Aesthetically everything was very good, co-ordinated and well maintained. As a plus, the window opens fully, allowing us to get a nice breeze during the heatwave.

Free Internet is provided but only using a Ethernet cable. There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby and ground floor. We stayed on the 2nd floor and I got a slight connection on my phone but not enough to actually use. This was one of the main issues with this hotel. It is predominately a business hotel, with conference suites, restaurant and banqueting options available, it puzzles me that Wi-Fi is not available in the entire building as most business men rely heavily on tablets and phones to stay connected.

The hotel restaurant was in the €20-40 per person range for food and the menu looked good, we didn't dine but were impressed. Bicycle rental was available from reception and they have good bikes available. I would suggest reserving early to avoid disappointment.

The room was mostly quiet, although as we had a window near the foyer entrance, some of the Baseball players attending a tournament disturbed us. This was mainly when we had the window open, otherwise nice a soundproof.

The hotel needs to do better to distinguish its business credentials as it is good as a couples hotel but not excellent in that respect.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and were happy. We would book again but next time something a bit more central would be better for our city breaks. It's about 25-40 minutes walk from Rotterdam Centraal.

Room Tip: Check in early to get a preferred room. Some rooms have windows that open into the lobby but privacy...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel W
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for two nights. Rooms are spaceous, clean, with standard infrastructure. Nothing personal or hotel specific. Positive is the power sockets at the desk. Personal at the reception is friendly and helpful and check-in and -out are fast. Restaurant is OK. Personal at the restaurant and bar is not allert and customerfriendly. Cleanliness in the restaurant could be a problem because I saw on both evenings a mouse running around the restaurant. Personal did not respond to my comments about that. Maybe it was a "visitor" of the Rotterdam Zoo nearby. Negativ: Now fitness room. You have to use the fitness center nearby for an extra cost.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Darjeeling, India
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I was there last year with my wife.Got a room facing the zoo and a highway. Room was good enough and clean bathroom. Walk around the hotel was pleasant. Staff was good and supportive. Breakfast was monotonous though. May stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms toward zoo are having good veiw.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Alan_Jha
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I stayed here with a group of colleagues and the first thing we noticed were the massive arrangements of dusty plastic flowers which didn't exactly bode well for the cleaning. This was confirmed in the rooms where there was still water left in the kettle and where the carpet looked like it had seen better days.
The staff were less than welcoming, actually at times they were so grumpy and impolite that that bordered on downright rudeness. There are no irons in the rooms (bit odd for a business hotel) and when three of us requested iron and ironing boards in reception, we were told that they only had two and "you'll just have to figure it out yourself". When I asked for help carrying the large board to my room upstairs (i'm a small woman in heels and was carrying a bag), the receptionist said that it wouldn't be possible even though it was late and there were three staff members in the reception.
Even buying a bottle of water was a nightmare. The minibar was empty and to get a bottle of water, you had to have the exact amount of euro coins for a vending machine.
The bed itself was fine but the bathroom had no bathtub and had a "public toilet" feeling. Breakfast was boring (at best) and although the variety was good, the quality of food (bread etc) was poor.
As you can probably tell, I won't be staying in this hotel again and I wouldn't recommend it, not a good experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank The-Skylark
Hasselt, Belgium
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend in order to start with a clear head for the marathon (14th of april).
Very good and friendly service at the reception!

Comfortable and clean rooms with all the necessities.
Quite environment and a smooth direct public transport connection to the city-centre:
Line 32: 10minutes
Line 33: 5 minutes

Busses came every 15min's (in weekends) and drove till midnight.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Swindon
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I was in Rotterdam on business and this hotel was convenient to my meetings. It's a fairly short taxi ride from the Central Station (around 12 euros) so fairly easy to get to. It's in a business area so nothing of interest nearby.
The hotel looks quite new and the lobby/reception was smart and check in efficient. The room was quite large and comfortable with a nice bathroom. The main issue in the room was the appalling internet access. Being on business I needed to download files and reports but the Wi-Fi signal was so weak it was non-existent and the wired access was painfully slow. As this hotel will primarily attract business users because of location, they must address the lack of efficient internet access - even if it is FOC.
I dined in the restaurant on both nights and the food was excellent, with an extensive menu and friendly service. The adjoining bar was also OK, and served bar snacks. Breakfast is served in the same area and provide what is now standard fare i.e a buffet breakfast. again it was OK and had a reasonable selection.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business