“Good modern business hotel within striking distance of Rotterdam”

Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam-Blijdorp
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Van der Valk Hotels do seem to be a bit of a Dutch secret. They are usually just out of town with lots of free parking, and lots of space in the quite stylish reception/lobby areas and super-clean rooms. I have stayed here 4 times and each time the room has been pleasant & spacious. This time I went for an executive room which was lovely and large, big bed & overlooked the park. Very quiet room, excellent sleeps were had! Shame there was only a shower, but its a big, hot walk in shower so not a deal breaker.
I often stay in Rotterdam Centre, but you don't get the size of room & parking is always extra, so I think this makes sense if you are bringing a car. In the evening we get the bus from about 2 mins away straight to Beurs - by the shopping/restaurants so its v simple. Get yourselves an OV Chipcard (like the London Oyster Card). You can use that on buses, trams, trains etc makes travelling v simple. Free wifi with code, or plug your laptop in.
I used the David Lloyd with its gym, pool & Jacuzzi, just round the side of the hotel. Ask at reception for a voucher. The charge is around 12Euros and they put it on your bill.
Dinner in the restaurant was pleasant, with friendly staff & nice surroundings.
Definitely would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the standard, superior and executive rooms, you get more space as you go up the lad...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Large modern hotel with room to match and spacious shower. Tea and coffee in the room. Free WiFi but code needed from reception. The breakfast was above average with a good selection of bread, cheeses and warm food and great fresh fruit. The only minus point of the stay was the bar. Drinks were not allowed to be put on the room bill unless 'your credit card had been authorised at reception'. This sort of rule makes me annoyed considering my (reputable) company had booked some 30 rooms that night. I don't know any other hotel that does this. Treating business travellers with this sort of distrust doesn't score any points in my book. The bar was also strange in that the staff preferred you not to order at the bar but to serve at your table, which meant a long wait. Next morning I walked to Rotterdam Centraal Station - about 25 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Nice hotel. We used to live in Rotterdam and now needed a hotel for one night. This hotel has an excellent location near to the highway and the Blijdorp Zoo (great Zoo!!). Rooms are modern, bathroom is modern and service is good (a special thanks to Said the barman!)
Good choice if you need to bein this area!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Easy parking
Good rooms big beds good breakfast only bad thing was no Wifi in the rooms and the fridge was all empty

Service was fast by check in and check out

Breakfast was lots of choice

It was worth the price I payed 72€ for superior room

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My mom and I stayed at this hotel for 4 days. On arrival the Reception were very friendly and welcoming and interior was vast and impressive.

Our room was a 'Superior room' which was nice. The bathroom was huge with excellent facilities especially the shower. The room was cleaned very morning and items such as shower gel, towels were changed also.

We didn't eat at the restaurant but from experience the food at Van Der Valk hotels is well worth the experience. Waiters were also very friendly.

The setting of the hotel is wonderful surrounding by lots of green including a park and a small lake. It's also right next too to Blijdorp zoo.

The only downside was the trek into town, which was a 30 min walk. We discovered buses that stop just outside the hotel which are frequent every 10 minutes. Both the number 33 and 40 run into Rotterdam Central.

I would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gemma W
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Large group stayed in the hotel and my good friend from a locked room had his laptop and phone stolen. Hotel wanted to do nothing and when speaking to others 2 other laptops had also been stolen in the same week!!
Poor show from the hotel when items are being taken from locked rooms.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank redsoxowen
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for 6 nights. We had just travelled from Amsterdam, looking to experience what city life was like in other parts of the Netherlands. We chose the hotel after seeing it on our company benefits website. It has positive reviews and nothing that was a cause for concern.

Upon arriving, we checked in. The staff were a bit flat and by that, I mean they just seemed very process driven and didn't really interact with us. They weren't rude by any measure but we found some of them to be less than helpful. Most of the staff speak English, much like the rest of the n
Netherlands.

Our room was relatively spacious, there was a fridge to store our own food. The bed was large and comfortable and the linens acceptable, they were far from luxurious but we only paid for a standard double, so that was to be expected. Tea and coffee making facilities was provided and topped up regularly. Housekeeping filled up extra sugar for me as I brought my own tea. The wardrobe was ample, with shelves and a safe. The bathroom was good, it had a shower cubicle, with stone flooring. Unfortunately the sink was a bit damaged by two cigarette marks but was mostly just cosmetic. Aesthetically everything was very good, co-ordinated and well maintained. As a plus, the window opens fully, allowing us to get a nice breeze during the heatwave.

Free Internet is provided but only using a Ethernet cable. There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby and ground floor. We stayed on the 2nd floor and I got a slight connection on my phone but not enough to actually use. This was one of the main issues with this hotel. It is predominately a business hotel, with conference suites, restaurant and banqueting options available, it puzzles me that Wi-Fi is not available in the entire building as most business men rely heavily on tablets and phones to stay connected.

The hotel restaurant was in the €20-40 per person range for food and the menu looked good, we didn't dine but were impressed. Bicycle rental was available from reception and they have good bikes available. I would suggest reserving early to avoid disappointment.

The room was mostly quiet, although as we had a window near the foyer entrance, some of the Baseball players attending a tournament disturbed us. This was mainly when we had the window open, otherwise nice a soundproof.

The hotel needs to do better to distinguish its business credentials as it is good as a couples hotel but not excellent in that respect.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and were happy. We would book again but next time something a bit more central would be better for our city breaks. It's about 25-40 minutes walk from Rotterdam Centraal.

Room Tip: Check in early to get a preferred room. Some rooms have windows that open into the lobby but privacy...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple