“A unique hotel.”

Hotel New York
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed here during a business trip. The room is very spacious, having a view towards the sea. With excellent bed. The restaurant also is very good and close by is also one of the best restaurants in rotterdam, called Las Palmas. The distance from the city centre is 30 min by foot and there is also public transport means very close, in walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank andreasPL
Write a ReviewReviews (1,322)

Reviewed 20 May 2013

The public areas (restaurant, bar) are so crowded that I felt like being in Central Station. To get lunch in the hotel was difficult but still possible, this however was not true for dinner. The restaurant was so crowded that we would have to wait for more than an hour (as hotel guests). It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Outside the hotel (just 300 meters walking) we found La Palma an excellent Herman de Blijker restaurant. Later on we wanted a night cap in the hotel. Again it was so crowded that we forgot about it. If you are into these very crowded places by all means go there. If however you look for a more quiet, distinquised hotel, avoid it. The rooms are oke , only one problem . In front of the rooms they installed large advertising banners, an easy prey for the wind. Result a lot of rattling noises and no sleep. We will not go again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank henk v
Reviewed 15 May 2013

As a business traveller it is great to stay in a professional hotel, that is just a little different, but that does not mean you can't work, this hotel has atmosphere in bucket loads, overlaid with very professional staff. A good bar/diner full with locals mid week and rocking with a live Jazz band. stay here if you can.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sailtorace
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We did stay in Hotel New York after a mini cruise with the NCL Breakaway.
We did love the hotel for his ambiance and great breakfast.
Our tower patio room was large and clean with a lot of nostalgic items of cruisships.
Our room had A large flatscreen and a great nostalgic bathroom.
At our late arrival (23:00 our) the service was very friendly and check-in was quick.

3  Thank Royalstr
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I literally booked three different hotels for this trip before settling on the Hotel New York. What swayed me were the solid reviews and the proximity to the cruise port.

I generally don't go for "boutique" or "quirky" hotels, but made an exception in this case. I booked a waterfront room directly through the hotel for a reasonable rate (especially as it included WiFi). Unfortunately, my room didn't face the cruise port, but as the room was huge (and I've read some are tiny) I didn't consider moving to a different room. I was a little concerned as there was a step down to the bathroom, figuring this could be problematic at night, but there was a nightlight positioned at the step.

We met friends we were sailing with for dinner and drinks. The reviews of the restaurant are very good, and I think the presence of so many locals is proof of that! DH had oysters which he deemed to be very fresh and lamb which he found to be tasty. I opted for more of a snack with bread served with a variety of dips. Very nice.

Unlike the States, Europeans don't seem overly concerned with turning over tables, so we passed a few hours enjoying each others company.

Breakfast was pricey (when isn't it at a hotel) but the buffet was good and plentiful. I made sure to have bread as I'd heard from Dutch colleagues that the bread in the Netherlands is wonderful and it was very nice.

After breakfast we walked to the cruise terminal which probably took about two minutes. Seriously, walking out of the front door of the hotel that morning, the first thing you saw was our ship.

If I ever find myself cruising out of Rotterdam again, I would definitely book the Hotel New York.

1  Thank Cubechick
Reviewed 5 May 2013

It's an interesting hotel in a lovely building that houses a buzzing restaurant with good quality grub. The service is nice and friendly, but I expected unique rooms in a unique property. I booked a waterside room. And although the interior is fine, it's style is dated and feels too much like a identi-kit hotel chain room. So nothing special. I had a really nice time but I would recommend trying the tower or board rooms instead if you're looking to experience the grand old lady in all its glory.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank montheroad
Reviewed 26 April 2013

The New York Hotel evokes a time when travel had glamour and free baggage. Themed brilliantly, every turn reveals a new, or rather old, piece of the glory days, when any journey took a while, and there was time to see it all. All of this, without sacrificing quality in accommodation or food. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The restaurant staff deserve special mention for their care and attention. Senior management has severe food allergies, and they took care that her meal was both safe and excellent. Job done! We took the water taxi to the city…great fun, especially if you can get them to turn up the gas.