1,476 results
All reviewsholland america linewater taxirich historypatio roomhistorical hotelshipping lineold daystower roomfood factoryunique atmospherehead officenespresso machineoverlooking the rivermaas rivercruise shipa wonderful stayfantastic hotel
Reviewed 10 November 2017

This is the third time we stay in this hotel. It is a retro place : it used to be the headquarters of the Holland - Amerika Shipping line, now converted in hotel. You really breathe the past years there. The hotel itself is beautiful: large rooms, all different, comfortable, nice views, well located on top of the water taxi boarding platform. I was just disappointed by the service from the beginning.
1) We sent an e-mail to book some particular room (we wanted to stay at the hotel and one night on SS boat - that belong to the same chain) and we were replied something completely unrelated to our request. So we did two separate bookings by ourselves.
2) we were told twice the first days that parking was to be paid separately and there were no special rates for hotel guests, just to discover on the very last day that indeed there was a special 24 hours rate less expensive than paying every time we were going in and out. This "oversight" of the reception desk of course had a certain impact on our budget.
3) main Restaurant : the service was quite poor : were had booked a table, we were there at the booked time, but only to get seated 20 minutes afterwards. Chips arrived cold at the table, we ordered wine and we were never given the wine basket with ice, so really poor service.
4) same poor service at the Basement, second restaurant of the hotel (very limited choice, unfriendly waiter; etc)
So basically stay there but beware of the services as the staff is not highly competent .

Room Tip: waterside rooms
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2017

Stayed in one of the Tower Rooms. Excellent space at top of hotel but only accesible by spiral staircase which is part of its charm. Great views over river and docks.
Heating not on when arrived, start of Autumn and tempertures getting cold. Able to put heating ourselves but it is attention to details like this that are important.
Bed very comfortbale and great shower.
No kettle or tea but a nespresso machine and chocolates, though only 3 capsules.
A good full buffet breakfast availble in resturant on ground floor.

Reviewed 1 November 2017

We've spend last weekend at the New York hotel in Rotterdam. This hotel has an unique atmosphere at a iconic place in Rotterdam. The architecture is great and the hotel let you feel you are back in history. We booked an Patio room which has no waterfront views (we knew). This room is very well maintain and feels brand new.

We had a couple of drinks at the bar "Basement" in the cellar of the hotel. Good drinks and fair prices.

We have visited this hotel before, and will visit again. It's awesome!

Reviewed 30 October 2017

I booked this property hoping for a more individual Rotterdam experience than I'd get from staying at a Hilton or Marriott. The position is pretty central and there is plenty of (paid for) parking both above and below ground.

Even before I had arrived, things hadn't got off to a good start. I had emailed the hotel to ask them if they could make a restaurant reservation for me and they replied informing me that they wouldn't be able to assist unless it was for one of the hotel's restaurants. After another email from me they acquiesced and made the reservation. It is beyond me how anyone managing any hotel anywhere in the world would ever think that this a good policy. I was not going to change my dinner plans to one of the hotel's restaurants so would have ended up making the reservation myself anyway; as it stands I just ended up being irritated by this attitude.

As we entered the busy lobby, the "porter" (the individual wearing a bell boy's outfit) just watched me as I carried the cases up the stairs; he made no attempt to even perfunctorily ask if he could help. Indeed, check-out was the same story. This don't care, can't do attitude seemed to be something of a constant throughout our short stay.

The hotel itself is located in a former commercial building and whilst I fully understand the concept of retaining as many of the original features as possible, it feels as if an absolute minimum of conversion work has been done e.g. the original worn-out lino is still on some of the stairs; wire safety glass (mid 20th century rather than an original design feature) hasn't been replaced with modern laminated glass, and I could go on and on. All these little things add up to give the place much more of the feel of a municipal facility of a communist state than luxury hotel. Essentially everything has been done on the cheap and it really shows. There are lots of enlarged photographs but these have been blown up from low resolution images so just look very tacky.

The bedroom was located off of a corridor that felt as if it was straight out of some local government office building in the USSR many decades ago. The room itself was large with high ceilings, which ordinarily would be a big positive, but here it just compounded the issues making it feel empty and even less inviting. The carpet looked very new but felt very thin underfoot; the walls were painted an apricot-beigey colour which was hideous and there was peeling paint in places. Lighting was provided by energy efficient bulbs which even when warm didn't emit enough light for the space so it always felt gloomy. The worst areas were an old strongroom which someone had attempted to turn into a dressing room by putting in a small hanging rail, drawers and a safe with a single fluorescent strip light... the mind boggles at how the decorator ever thought that most people would want the use of a walk-in safe in a hotel bedroom. This space only added to the unwelcoming vibe. It felt rather spooky and it was far from a successful repurposing. The bathroom was very dated and continued the communist era decor with its choice of tiling, and sanitary ware, the basins even had rubber plugs and the towels were very thin and low quality. Housekeeping didn't seem particularly attentive with lots of limescale visible on the taps.

The best thing in the room was the bed which was very comfortable. I was surprised that there was no minibar in the room, and I note from previous responses that they would rather you order room service... this again completely overlooks and underestimates the utility of being able to serve oneself a drink instantly instead of having to pick up the phone, order, wait, open the door, and sign a bill. The most modern piece of equipment was a Nespresso machine so at least there was one item in the room to signify that the hotel realised that we are well into the 21st century.

Having checked in I informed reception that I was not happy with the room; they told me that they were fully booked so couldn't do anything about it. That was that. Upon checking out when asked how my stay was, I repeated my dissatisfaction about the room, and the receptionist acknowledged it and continued with the check-out process. Whilst I appreciate that if they were fully booked and there was not a lot that could have been done immediately, a courtesy conversation with a manager etc. at check-out would have been a logical thing to do. As a customer I felt as if no one cared, and in fact that probably is the reality.

This hotel was never converted properly in the first place - filling former offices with furniture and painting the walls in dubious shades of paint is never going to work. Perhaps it felt less antiquated a couple of decades ago when it was first turned into a hotel, but nowadays it just feels hopelessly dated. In fact the whole place feels as if it is a hotel squatting in old offices.

Interestingly, from what I could see, the restaurants - which were busy - had better interior design, and more importantly, a buzzy atmosphere which seemed pleasant and juxtaposed the cold feel of the non-public areas. That said, given their attitude to my dining at a third party establishment, I was certainly not inclined to try their restaurants.

For the rate I would have preferred the comfort of an identikit international brand (something I usually actively try to avoid) rather than this bizarre place masquerading as a boutique hotel. If you are hoping for anything close to resembling a comfortable property offering high levels of hospitality then look elsewhere.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

Look no further. Hotel New York is the nicest, most fun, most friendly hotel around. It is created in the beautiful former head office of the Holland America Line. Nostalgia all over the place, but it is surely not old fashioned. In the restaurant and bar you will find young creatives, hipsters and modern type business folk, but also those who could be their parents. Old and young, hip and square, everybody is welcome in this finely designed place, on one of the most stunning spots of the city.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
RoelDusseldorp, General Manager at Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Dear Krijn,

Thank you for your very nice review! We loved it!
Great to read to you enjoyed your visit so much!

We would love to welcome you back again!

Kind regards,