“friendly service but bad quality/prix”
Review of Hotel Bazar

Hotel Bazar
Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Munich
“friendly service but bad quality/prix”
Reviewed 15 April 2009

We have been 2 days in Rotterdam in 2 different Hotels:
Bazar Hotel and Bilderberg Parkhotel.
A double room with breakfast in Bazar Hotel costed us 85euros in an african room. Service is good, breakfast is very good (it can be accessed even if you don't sleep in the hotel) but the hotel facilities are really old (extremely old lift). Room was large but the decoration was quite bad. quality/price should be improved. The best, the breakfast.
A double room without breakfast in Bilderberg Hotel costed us 125euros (I think that there are cheaper rooms). Service is very good, the hotel facilities are really good and room was large and very comfortable. Of course, you pay it.
Both hotels are very close to the city center.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dancir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Holland
Reviewed 5 April 2009

After reading some of the reviews about the Hotel Bazar I decided to write one of my own. Before I moved to Holland I used to stay at this hotel a few times a year on business. Part of the reason I preferred staying at Bazar because it was close to our office. The other part was I loved the rooms and the easy going staff. Some of the rooms are spectacular. My other favourite thing was the breakfast which starts quite late but runs all day. Breakfast is served in Bazar's very busy restaurant. A great place to sit when travelling by yourself. What I also liked was the fact the rooms were always very clean. Of course there are a few things I would love for them to change. No Internet acess in 2009 is just crazy and the fact that people are still allowed to smoke in the rooms is beyond me. Apart from that I think Bazar is worth a visit. My parents stayed there 2 months ago and loved it. Oh and they really liked the hotel manager. Haha! Especially my mother. I had to mention this because the person whose review spoke of her disliking the manager made me laugh. People seem to forget Bazar is only a 2 star hotel and really does not pretend to be anything but that. So if you are looking for a fun, friendly and inexpensive place to stay. Try Bazar.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 24 January 2009

No, no, no, no!
I booked this hotel because of the reviews on TripAdvisor. When I booked it was rated as #2 best hotel in Rotterdam. But is it? Can a 2 star hotel be this good?
No way!.
I'm afraid people get carried away by some features and rate the overall experience too high.
Let me tell you about the positive things first: the hotel staff are EXCELLENT. Whatever I asked for, they provided with a smile. The location is relatively central (five minutes walk to a tram stop and from there 4 stops to the central station). Restaurant has very interesting food. Cleaning service is very adequate.
And that's it. But is this enough to make a hotel GREAT? I don't think so.This hotel has warn out furniture, blankets that should have been thrown away two years ago, walls that need to be refreshed, the softest hotel mattress I've ever slept on, no internet connection, no reception after 11 pm, thin walls, few choices for breakfast (it's either menu A or B) and the list goes on.
Is the hotel trying to "appear" as something different?
No. THEY are honest. They accept the fact that they are a two star hotel and they charge accordingly. So I have nothing to say against them. This is an issue of trip advisor reviewers overestimating a hotel.
Are you young, looking for a friendly, reasonably priced, clean hotel in Rotterdam, just to "crash"? This should be just fine for you.
Are you a bit demanding, looking for a top-ten hotel in Rotterdam? Go elsewhere.

• Liked — Friendly, competent staff
  • Disliked — Warn out furniture, no internet connection
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank demetrios
Sheffield
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Brilliant hotel! The lobby and room were amazing, they were clean and spacious. The best part of staying in this hotel was eating in the restaurant the night before and having breakfast the next day, the food was amazing and the restaurant has a really nice feel.
The staff all spoke very good English and were polite and friendly.
Very central location and good parking.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

If you visit Rotterdam and do not stay here you will be missing out!

• Liked — The style of the room, and the food!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chcael
san diego, ca
Reviewed 25 September 2008

i was traveling on business and my client booked me a room at this hotel. the lobby is beautiful and the room that i stayed in was very cool and spacious - however, i arrived at 1pm and the hotel manager told me (very rudely) that my room was not available until 2pm. i travel frequently and have never had an experience with a hotel manager like this, if i had the option i would have forefitted my reservation and left...

however, when i came back later in the afternoon another girl (who was very sweet) checked me in.

i regret not taking any photos of the hotel (especially the room because it was very cool decor)

breakfast was awesome, best OJ i've ever had.

big downside - NO internet access, not even paid. not good for business travelers...

didn't bother me much but other travelers may mind...the elevator took forever to come so i opted for the stairs...the room was on the 3rd floor so not great for people with disabilities or limited mobility.

• Liked — location, hotel decor, breakfast
  • Disliked — no internet, elevator did not work well, RUDE hotel manager!!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank organicphotographer
London
Reviewed 11 August 2008

This hotel is a brilliant find. We stayed for 2 nights and stayed in 2 different rooms as we booked late and it was a busy weekend due to the annual dance parade in Rotterdam. All the rooms are individually designed and have themes of either African, South American or Middle Eastern.

We were in African themed rooms both nights and they were amazing. The second one in particular was really unusual and beautifully decorated. Both rooms aside from looking fantastic were spotless and the hotel staff helpful and friendly. They also moved all of our luggage when we were moving rooms so it was very hassle free.

If you are looking for a hotel for a short break in Rotterdam, then I would really recommend this hotel. It made such a nice change from staying in anonymous chain hotels.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Breakfast not great
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Elizabeth172101
lincolnshire, England
Reviewed 18 November 2007

I think we booked this after reading good reviews on TA. We were not disappointed.

Stopped here whilst going to concert at the Ahoy.

Amazingly unusual rooms, ours was African themed. (Although I wouldn't recommend children in the room we were in, as the window opens all the way and the window sill is actually also the floor level) with the sunken bed!!! Hard to describe without a photo.

Restaurant food was lovely.

staff very friendly and helpful, the booking was made over the phone, their english is excellent.

Good hotel if on a stag/hen do.

Good central location to enjoy most of Rotterdams delights, good bars and some lovely shops.

• Liked — decor, food, staff
  • Disliked — no door on the loo!!!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends