“Tiny room and up lots of small stairs - not as good as last time”

Bilderberg Parkhotel
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
South Shields
“Tiny room and up lots of small stairs - not as good as last time”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed here during a business trip for the second time. My previous visit was in 2009. However, this time my room was tiny. I had booked a single but it was very small. There was no bath, only a tiny shower in the corner of the bathroom, so close to the toilet the toilet got soaked when I showered and there was nowhere to put my toilet bag. The room was also very cold and when I turned up the radiator it made such I noise I had to turn it back down again. I was quite dissapointed because during my last stay I was really impressed with the room and only paid half of what I had to pay during this stay, even though it was the same time of year. The hotel lobby is quite nice and the bar / dining area is pleasant too. The restaurant was full so I walked out of the hotel to look for somewhere to eat. There was a student area with student bars close to the hotel but nothing suitable for an evening meal. After 30 minutes I returned to the hotel and ate in the bar area as there was no other option. The food was very tasty and well presented but it was quite expensive for bar food. The hotel is in a good location for the metro station and for the shops. It is also quite close to Rotterdam Central Station (about 5 mins in a taxi). From reading the other reviews the standard and size of room differs considerably depending on allocation. I would stay here again but next time I'll ask for a better room!

Room Tip: Tower rooms seem to be the best choice so ask for a nice room before you are allocated what they wan...
1 Thank jaynell
Raoul G, Director of Sales at Bilderberg Parkhotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay in our hotel. I am sorry to read that your experience did not live up to your expectations. Please allow me to give you a short pointwise response to your comments.

Room: The single rooms are 15m2 in the Gardenwing of our hotel, if you prefer a larger room I suggest that next time you book a Deluxe or Executive room in one of the towers of the hotel. All roomtypes are bookable through the usual booking websites or bilderberg.nl.

Rate: our rates vary due to the different demand in the city, if your traveldates are flexible I suggest you find dates when rates are low.

Regarding restaurants near the hotel, may I advise you to contact our reception staff next time you are in the hotel. There are plenty of great restaurants (even two Michelin stars) within 15 minutes walk of the hotel. Moreover, the popular Witte de With street is around the corner of the hotel and houses great bars and restaurants like Opa, Bazar, Oliva, Blender and Gusto. Just opposite of the hotel are famous Rotterdam Restaurant De Engel, Enoteca, Eendracht, Old Dutch, and a little further up the street Harmonie.

Again, thank you for your feedback, if you travel to Rotterdam in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Raoul Grobben
Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2011

The Parkhotel is a good hotel and I always stay here when we go to Rotterdam. Saying that, I've mostly stayed in the tower rooms which are in the more modern part of the hotel, so can thoroughly recommend requesting one of those when you visit. The breakfasts are good and have a lot of choice on offer, the beds are comfortable and the views from the top parts of the hotel are magnificent. We stayed here recently with my young son and his grandparents, so the hotel helpfully offered us adjoining rooms in a slightly older part of the hotel. This part of the hotel could do with some TLC (one of the sinks was cracked, the door fell off the cupboard) but even so the rooms are of a good size and were still not bad. I've always found the staff to be very helpful too.

Room Tip: Make sure you are higher up - you won't be so close to the busy nightlife on the streets around...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Hythe
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Stayed for 2 nights while on business in Rotterdam. Staff were polite and were trying but they were overwhelmed by the number of guests staying when the hotel is full. On the first day at breakfast, I had to wait for a table. I had to ask for a coffee several times before it came 15-20 minutes after the first request. The buffet was not replenished often enough and guests were queuing at an empty buffet for some of the time. Not a relaxing experience at all. The room (deluxe) was fairly basic - no in-room safe and a bathroom that was from a previous generation. My wake up call on the last day never materialised - just as well I had plan B ready with my phone. I have stayed at the Bilderberg several times before but I am afraid this will be the last.

2 Thank Stephen D
London
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I have been working out in Rotterdam for the past 5 months and after having tried the majority of hotels here, in my opinion this hotel has definitely been amongst the worst I have stayed at. I was initially put in a standard room in the 'terrace' part of the hotel. The room was disgraceful and ridiculously overpriced for the lack of amenities it offered. There was no air-conditioning, tea/coffee facilities or iron. The bathroom was tiny with a very small rickety old window which didn't securely close or lock. The room did not feel clean and was very worn. I had booked a double room but entered a room with two twin beds made up as twin beds and pushed together.

I was not happy at all and called the reception to request moving to a new room. The staff at reception from the moment I walked in were very friendly and accommodating and the lady I spoke with was very kind to move me to another room based on 'The Tower'. If you come to the Bilderberg, I would say it's best to stay in the tower as the rooms are much more modern with a number of the basic amenities you look for when working abroad. The room I was moved to was significantly better, even if still a bit dated decor. In both rooms the TV sets are very old with no media connection options e.g. with a camera/laptop. The electric sockets are bizarrely placed in the most inconvenient places in the room which again doesn't lend itself to working on a laptop.

I think that this hotel is very overpriced especially with the cost of internet and breakfast added to the already steep price per night. The hotel is based in a good location with some great restaurants and bars nearby.

1 Thank Stefanie_JF
Burlingame, California
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We stayed in a Tower room for one night in September before embarking on a cruise. The room was spacious and comfortable but a little worn. The walls were scuffed and the furniture upholstery was showing some wear.
We did not eat in the restaurant for dinner or breakfast since it seemed quite overpriced. We found lots of options in the shopping area nearby. The staff at the front desk was helpful.
Convenient location – not far from central train station and museums. Would probably stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We booked this as part of a package, including a visit to the ABN-AMRO Tennis Tournament. There was a problem which resulted in my booking being cancelled, which made me really very cross. However, the hotel managed to re-book my package and the manager both upgraded us to a better room and invited us to the Bilderberg hospitality suite at the tournament.

Good points: the hotel is well located in the centre of the city. The upgraded room was excellent. I'd recommend always having a room in the "Tower" which is much newer than the rest of the hotel.

Poor points: I can't recommend taking one of the weekend packages. In particular the only restaurant open during the weekend was rather dingy and served only a buffet dinner. Moreover, the bar in the evening was packed and the service consequently slow and poor.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the relatively new "Tower"
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Hotel was very nice. Situated near Rotterdam Train Station, made it a bonus making it easily accessible for public transport. Also shops (Clothes/Food/Convenience) Were all just a 5 minute walk away from the hotel. The Staff were very friendly; very pleasant and welcoming.
Breakfast was also nice; Buffet Breakfast with the usual you could imagine. Although never used the gym facilities, we checked it out on our arrival. Was small but gym has everything whats needed (including a Sauna) so thats a bonus.
Only Thing I would say about this hotel is that their Televisions are quite old. For us staying there, this meantunable to connect any type of Media (Camera/Video Game/Pc) wasn't possible so was suprised at this as lower star hotels usually have more modern tv's.
Apart from that it was great. Situated right outside for the Rotterdam Carnival (and i mean literally outside). will be staying here next year same time :D

Room Tip: If looking to get a quiet night in try to avoid booking around Carnival time
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel