Rather a decent hotel at first sight, one might think and, apart from the fact that one of the lifts looked like a construction site and that you had to pay on top for the so called hotel amenities (sauna, internet), one would be right to think so. That is until you get to the terrace area where you are ignored by the rudest and most neurotic barman/waiter I have ever encountered. When you ask him for a drink he looks at you as if you had just shot him in the foot, and when you try and order food he nearly starts to cry before deciding for you what to eat because he cannot be asked to go and get a menu. Having decided that we were going to eat steak he then displayed an astonishing ignorance of the various degrees of cooking a steak. The wine we ordered came about ten minutes into the dinner, even though we had ordered it considerably before, and was too cold. Of the two steaks we ordered one came without chips for no apparent reason. When the terrace closed and we were ushered into the bar we were therefore delighted to find the same guy standing behind the bar, pretending to be busy and rushed off his feet on what was actually a reasonably quiet evening. The payment system at the bar is also something else, requiring the barman to put you card through a normal chip and pin reader and then swipe it through to other machines which then take about 2 minutes to start printing your receipt, during which time the barman can of course not do anything else. This barman, and the way he barked at people was extremely unhelpful and rude and made the whole experience of staying at the hotel a very unpleasant one. You were constantly under the impression that you were disturbing and offending him. Many of the other people staying at the hotel(there were quite a few as we had come to Rotterdam for a wedding) said that they felt exactly the same. The service was so bad that it made Fawlty Towers look like a smoothly run operation. A shame really, as the rest of the staff and the hotel as such had the potential of making this an acceptable place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Parkhotel originally dates back to 1922 and has been offering outstanding service and hospitality in the port city of Rotterdam for more than 90 years. The entire ground floor of the Parkhotel was renovated in 2014. The original DNA and unique Parkhotel atmosphere have been retained and combined with contemporary design. The 189 comfortable rooms have every convenience you would expect of a four-star hotel. Several of the rooms have a balcony with a view of the wonderful city garden. The Deluxe and Executive tower rooms, at a higher level, offer a wonderful view of Rotterdam. The hotel has 50 secure parking spaces, a sauna and fitness facilities. Restaurant The Park - inspired by Erik van Loo offers contemporary design, a cosy aperitif bar, Cigar Lounge, Private Dining and a wonderful veranda which opens onto the city garden and the terrace. The menu features signature dishes by Erik van Loo, among other specialities. The chef patron of the restaurant Parkheuvel, which has been awarded two Michelin stars, is the supervising chef of The Park. Together with chef Richard de Vries, he creates outstanding dishes which are characterised by their quality and simplicity, combined with a playful twist. In 2014, The Park won the Rotterdam Gouden Pollepel award. The Algemeen Dagblad newspaper gave The Park the following review: 'A restaurant which scores highly in every detail and means that Rotterdam can now join the ranks of other global cities where locals are used to eating in a high-calibre hotel restaurant.' ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Hotels.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Agoda, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Bilderberg Parkhotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bilderberg Parkhotel Rotterdam
- Bilderberg Parkhotel Hotel Rotterdam