“Good Dutch food”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Good Dutch food”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Good Dutch food, service alright not great. Good view and good croquettes and meatballs. Good beer too. Lunchtime on Friday mainly business men. Very few women.

Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
“Balls for the balls, great for the view!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We went with friends, had our meatball lunch and a good time. Initially I would have therefore have given a better review than I do now, about a week after the event.
I shall tell you why.
1. Our waitress was cheerful and wasted no time to help us get seated, offered us menus and set us up with beer and wines. The food came as speedily as could be expected, served with a smile but then the girl became occupied in another area. When we wished to replenish the drinks there was only one huge man of a waiter, who reluctantly came over and displayed a rude attitude that clearly implied that he was not suited for the job. He made a remark, as a flippant comment on one of the ladies' (polite) request for another drink, that was completely out of order, but not in a mood to get into conflict we let this go.
This chap alone is enough reason not to return in future.
2. Alright! There are Swedish meatballs, there are Italian ones, Danish ones and a whole range of European (that includes the U.K. by the way! even if they try to ignore this act of God) balls, all with similar compositions, basically all seen by their own populations as the best. And rightfully so, as I know from long personal experience.
The "Dutch" balls presented to us were okay, but not as they should be: they were hard and overloaded with that spice of which the Dutch use the most in the world: mace, the ground dried soft skin of the nutmeg. This points to a standard, factory mass produced spice mixture, which is designed to take away delicate flavours, cover up second rate ingredients ( although I certainly do not suggest this to be the case here). Also it points to a heavy handed cook and makes me wonder what is so special about this product, which the menu boasts about. If this is supposed to be good, God save the Dutch!
Sorry guys. It's below standard and I think you are not doing your customers the favour you make it out to be.

Visited December 2013
Port Alberni, BC
“Lucky for us”
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Our friends who live in Holland had looked for this place but always seemed to miss it. Right around the corner from the Euromast, there it was. Lucky for us. Great atmosphere and great views along the river. Food was excellent in a warm and rustic setting. Years of history along the walls with pictures, paintings, and models. If you're in Rotterdam, I would say a must visit.

• Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs!”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This is the first time in my life I have ever felt the need to give a restaurant a 1 star review. We went into the place at lunchtime last week and were ignored. After a couple of minutes we went and sat down at an empty table. The waiter eventually came and took our drinks order after 15 minutes and we then waited a while for the drinks to come. They did come eventually, but the waiter then ignored us completely. After 20 minutes of waiting my friend asked the passing waiter if we could order some food and he was ignored. He then tried to ask the other waiter, who also blanked my friend. Shortly after that we paid our bill and left in disgust. My friend told the waiter that he had eaten all over the world and never experienced such poor service, but the waiter just ignored him again! Based on other reviews, it looks like the staff here have a problem with foreign people, so recommend avoiding it. Poor beer selection (the one I asked for was 'off' and the food looked very average.)

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Justin54321
Basel, Switzerland
“The food was okay but the service was terrible”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My guide book recommended "De Ballentent". After my visit I really don't know why. At first the staff just ignored us, nobody came to take our order. After we finally ordered it took an hour for our starter to arrive and then another hour for our main courses to be served. The other guests had to wait just as long, a few left after a while because they were fed up with waiting. I could accept the fact that it took so long for the food to arrive if the staff managed to acknowledge it (e.g. saying they are sorry or offering us a drink) but they just pretended everything was okay. On top of that the servers were very unfriendly (no smiles, no you-are-welcomes, no nothing).

Who still choses to go to "De Ballentent" should order their meatballs. That is what they are famous for. We shared the Meatball Balentent as a starter which was good. The main courses (Croquettes with fries and Spare Ribs) were okay. In my opinion the mediocre food is not reason enough to put up with the terrible service.

• Visited August 2013