“Great value in the heart of Rotterdam”
Review of Hotel van Walsum

Hotel van Walsum
Ranked #22 of 53 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We had a wonderful stay at Hotel van Walsum. While it's not right in the middle of the bustling city, we found the location to be ideal on a quieter street. Rotterdam is quite small and walkable anyways, so we found it no problem at all to walk everywhere we needed to go. The rooms were a lot larger than I would have expected, especially by Dutch standards, and I loved the decor. Breakfast was good as well with a large variety of breads, pastries, fruits and cereals. The staff was very warm and welcoming, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I traveld to Rotterdam for the Summer Carnaval street parade and Battle of the Drums on a spur of the moment weekend getaway. With nly three days notice we were able to secure a night at the Hotel van Walsum with what felt like a very good rate. Even after arriving I still think the rate was about right for the facilities and service provided.

the Hotel's exterior is quiessential old world dutch and was very charming. I loved the way the neighborhood felt at first glance. we arrived by train at the Rotterdam Centraal station and rode our bikes on a very short three minute trip to the hotel. it was Friday evening just as rush hour would be underway so the traffic was heavy and the streets pretty full. But all in all, it felt like a good location in a bustling neighborhood.

Getting into the hotel was a bit odd though. While my wife stayed outside with the bikes, i went through the big wooden doors to find a sliding glass door that was equipped with motion sensors but was locked. You had to ring a bell to get the desk clerk, just out of view, to unlock the door and open it. this was true throughout the entire stay despite having a 24 hour desk. It was the first clue that MAYBE this is not a very good neighborhood after all.

But the desk clerk was friendly, he was attentive and took the time to answer my questions, but I was a little disappointed that he could offer no more than a city map for the street parade and Battle of the Drums. He confessed that he had just learned of the event earlier that day! And this seems like a pretty big deal for Rotterdam - at least for the area where the parades would be held...by the way, at the end of the block from the hotel! Like most Dutch people we have met in our travels across the country, don't be afraid to start the convesation. the Dutch people we have met are overwhelmingly friendly, but are also fairly reserved and tend to wait for the visitor to initaite conversation. And that was the case here...once i started asking questions, he was more than happy to talk and help me get a feel for the neighborhood and things to see and places to eat.

We had to lock up our bikes in the hotel's parking lot which is a shared lot with other buildings on the block, but has a secured access. The desk clerk assured me that the bikes would be safe. And we had no issues, just a short 50 meter walk from the front door to the entrance of the garge door that blocked the entrance to the parking lot. Just ask for the key from the desk. I understand from the hotel's website that a fee of 15 Euros per day is charged for parking, but there was no fee for the bikes. I just wish there had been a bike rack or something to lock our bikes to othere then the lampost.

The hotel has a bit of an odd layout, but that is due to the fact that it is a very old, obviously converted, building that found a way to make the shape work. They had an elevator that did it's job, but narrow hallways that twisted and turned around numerous corners. Our room had a nice view of the garden courtyard one floor up, but that view was also of the aprtments complex behind the hotel. It presented a loss of privacy with so many apartments with a view into our hotel room. Not an issue with the curtains closed, but the weather was hot! We needed the curtains and the windows open to keep the air circulating. I can not knock the hotel for the weather which, as I said was VERY hot. And neither will I hold the lack of air conditionaing against them - it is northern Europe and only the very large hotel chains will usually have AC. But, there was no ceiling fan, or any other type of fan available in the room. the apartment building behind the hotel effectively bloakd whatever air flow there may have been. Even though fans are needed for a short period throughout the year, it might be something this hotel should consider investing in - just provide a fan for each room.

I did have to take a walk through the neighborhood shortly after arriving to find some cold drinks and snacks for the room and this is when I learned that the hotel may not be in the "best" of neighborhoods. Just around the corner were several 'adult' entertainment venues, coffee shops and people just hanging out. This should not to be taken as the neighbodangerous place. in fact, the opposite was true. But, something to consider if traveling with children. the place is better for adults only. It turns out anything you need is just a short walk away, from a grocery store to bars and resturants. Even the centrum was just a few blocks away.

the room itself was larger than I expected it to be, and the bed was comfortable if a little lower to the floor then usual. the bathroom was of fair size and the shower was perfect. the water tempurature and water pressure were great and even the supplied body wash, soap and shampoo was full and seemed to be a fairly good quality.

The next morning we had the included breakfast which is on offer from 0630 to 1000, which seememd like a long time for a hotel of this size. we went down a little on the later side, around 0900 and the room was full but not over-crowded and plenty of selection of typical European Hotel breakfast buffetts. Even scrambled eggs and bacon (although the bacon seememd a little undercooked and over salted).

Overall, this was a cute little hotel in a nice central location as long as you were aware of the adult nature of the nieghborhhod just around the corner (the street the hotel on itself was very quiet and peaceful lined with trees and large bike paths - a little more removed from the adult elements..those were around the block). I would consider this hotel again in the future if we find ourselves rushing back to rotterdam.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tad D
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hotel van Walsom is a cosy small hotel with friendly and helpful personnel. I recommend this both for business and leisure travellers but maybe not for those who want to have place full of stuffed shirt people.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank 51Ilkka
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Very nice room, spacious for Holland patterns, for a good price. There was also a good breakfast buffet. wi-fi was free, with excellent speed, and no forms to fill or 24 hours only passwords. Hotel street/lobby door only opens on bell ring.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank edvasc
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I had 4 nights at the hotel. It is on a fairly quiet street near some busy ones, so in a good spot. My single room was ok, big enough for just me, and had two single beds in it with an en-suite bathroom. The view out of the back window was over the hotel's small but tidy patio and some private apartments beyond, so just average but nice and quiet. My room was clean as was the rest of the hotel, and the staff were friendly and chatty. The small bar stays open (June) until 1am and was not expensive. The hotel is very reasonably priced for this part of town, hence the 5* rating that I have given it. They had private parking at 12 or 15 Euros a night (I can't remember) but I took my chances parking in the pay and display spaces on the street at the front. These were quite expensive during the day (again, I don't remember how much) but free from 11pm to 9am Mon-Sat, and until 12 noon on Sun. They were generally pretty full but I was extraordinarily lucky and managed to get a space each night right outside the front door of the hotel. To park in them you have to buy a pre-paid chip-and-pin type card from a shop, perhaps a tobacconist's, and use that rather than putting cash directly in to the machine. However, the hotel will 'lend' you theirs when you arrive if you haven't been able to get one.

I didn't eat at the hotel, preferring to try local cafes for breakfast. I came a bit unstuck there, as the Dutch aren't big on that kind of thing and I walked for hours in different parts of town trying to find somewhere that would do a decent coffee and sandwich or pastry. The best place I found was a short walk away, La Zia Maria at Nieuwe Binnenweg 222A, 3021 GM Rotterdam, run by a couple of Sicilian guys and they did the best coffees and Panini in town, or almost anywhere else for that matter. Also a deli, selling pre-cooked pasta meals that you could eat there or take away if you wanted. Beware not open Sundays tho!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CambridgeTonyM
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I spent one night at hotel Van Walsum. Normally I go to another hotel in Rotterdam, but as that one was fully booked, I had to look for a different one.

The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was great.
I was a bit disappointed by the room size, single person bed. The good thing about the room was the airconditioning. Further the internet was also really good and fast. Good enough for streaming online video.

The hotel won't become my new favourite in Rotterdam, but it's a good alternative.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The rooms are really nice and big, with very high ceilings and nice old style decoration. The breakfast is very good, you can have nice croissants and scrumbled eggs and bacon... I would avoid the Dutch goodies as their are not high quality (smearkass and pate !!) but you can go for fruits and fresh bread, which is the typical food of Holland!!
Very good bathroom and beds. Very good WIFI connection. Avoid the stairs !! Take the lift !!
The only "hic" is the noise of the city that wakes you up at 5:30 in the morning, for the rest everything is just fine !!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business