Ibis Rotterdam City Centre(Rotterdam)(Great Value!)
US$81
  • Breakfast included
US$143
US$137
  • Pool
Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark(Rotterdam)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$183
US$162
US$94
  • Restaurant
All reviewscentral stationminute walktram stopprice qualitystayed here for nightscity centrenice roomnetherlands
Reviewed 21 November 2011

In need of renovation there was a strong mouldy odour coming from the Bathroom and the dodgy worn out mattress and bedding had taken on the smell of the mould and made me feel not very 4 * for my 100 Euro for the night.
There was also a barely functional TV it would switch of on its own or the sound would cut out once it warmed up. Do yourself a favour, go somewhere else if you like the basics to be right

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jkingart
Reviewed 21 October 2011

the hotel is divided into two separate hotels, although this is not clearly mentioned in the reservation nor in the website: a (low qualit) 4 stars hotel, and a (low quality) 2 stars hotel. if yoou end in the two stars, and you expect to be in the 4 stars, then you remain a bit disappointed, as I have recently been.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank paolo g g
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Reception Ok, room Ok and relatively clean but need for fresh up, painting, replacing corroded tubes.
The service in the small restaurant is depending on 1 lady what is also responsible for the bar. She is kind but you need patience. The hotel is value for money but at some point they will need to invest.
The breakfast room is dark, the employees in that place of the cheapest possible level.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I arrived at the hotel to be greeted by 3 receptionists which I thought was a bit over the top but assumed it might be a sign of the good service they were about to provide. I was given my key card and took the very slow lift up to the second floor and then followed the corridor around to the back of the hotel where the single rooms are usually found. All I wanted to do was dump my bag, have a quick shower and then go out and explore Rotterdam.

First problem: the key card didn't work and after 5 minutes making sure I was inserting it into the slot correctly I accepted defeat and took the slow lift back down to the reception desk. One of the 3 receptionists (I noticed that they had all swapped seats!) pressed a few buttons on her computer and then told me the card should now work. I took the slow lift back up to the 2nd floor and luckily the key card now worked.

Second problem: like most people I had a quick look around the room which in this case was small with a single bed, wardrobe, desk with kettle and tea/coffee etc, lamp and telephone. I had a lovely view out the window of several aprtment blocks! On the wall was a portable TV so I decided to flick through the channels - but there was only 1 channel which was a bad version of BBC News 24 but in Dutch! There appeared to be 4 pay-per-view channels but I was too scared to go to any of them in case I got billed a stupid amount of euros.

Third problem: I didn't really want to watch the TV anyway so decided to take a shower. The bathroom was small and compact with the usual free toiletries but.... ....no towels! I searched high and low but couldn't find any so headed off towards reception (again) using the slow lift (again). Luckily I didn't have to go far as there was a store cupboard along the corridor and the door was left open so I just grabbed a towel and went back to my room!

In conclusion, I would have expected a better level of service from a Best Western hotel - key card didn't work, no towels in the room, one TV channel (what is the point?), and I should mention that even though I put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door handle the cleaner still knocked on the door asking if the room needed to be cleaned! Plus the pillow was too thin.

I was going to rate the hotel 2 out of 5 but I've marked this up to 3 out of 5 only because the breakfast was plentiful and included in the price for my room and the hotel is only a 10 minute walk from Central Station and all of the shops and bars.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ManS0L0
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Hotel staff are friendly and helpful. It is not too far away from Central Station, about five to ten minutes walk. Can buy a three-day tram pass to travel around as the tram station is right across the road.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo