“Nasty, nasty nasty!”
Review of Euro Hotel Centrum

Euro Hotel Centrum
Ranked #44 of 53 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Alarm bells should have rung when on arriving at this so called "hotel" they took payment for the whole 3 nights up front instead of using our card number as a security. Lesson learnt - always look at the room before you commit to anything! The sheets had been changed but that was all. The dust was thick there were yellowing dribbles on walls and the raidiator. The bathroom was filthy, well everything was filthy and the smell..... SEWAGE with an undertone of very old cigarettes and dirt. The furniture was broken. My husband compained in the morning to a receptionist who really could not care less. She told him they were fully booked for the duration of our stay but would 'phone if anything became available, she didn't 'phone. And so I wasted a whole day trying to find accomodation where I would not be afraid to put my head on the pillow. I have never been to a hotel before where there has not been soap to wash your hands in the bathroom or a kettle, but the biggest problem was the shear filth of this place. I still have bites, I wonder if these were picked up here? We did find a squashed bug in one of the beds! We have asked for our money back but have been told "This dust comes directly from the dry cleaned bed sheets. After making your bed this dust stays in the air and falls down after leaving and always sticks to everything" what utter rubbish! also ... "We found it a little bit unfair that we are blamed for having smoke stains on our walls while our walls and heating used to be yellow because of paint" More rubbish - see the photographs. Be warned, don't stay here, I would have rather have slept on a park bench. ...Oh and have just been offered a free nights stay.. Good god no!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank fussytraveler74

Reviewed 11 February 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights. It is a "budget " hotel, but still, I found it too expensive for what it offers. The room I got was clean but really small. Heating couldn't be put off during the night and it was really too hot. The other major problem was the noise coming from rooms next door: the walls seems to be as thin as cardboard!! Apart from this, the hotel has free wifi, and the staff is really nice. And it is very central.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I just needed a simple place to stay overnight in Rotterdam, and the Euro Hotel delivered. It's conveniently located to the subway. Ignore Google Maps and follow the directions from the hotel; they are very good and accurate. The staff is friendly and helpful and the rate, at 50 euros, was very reasonable considering the high prices of most hotels in Rotterdam.

Check-in is a little confusing because the check-in desk is up a flight of stairs, but below the first floor. So, if you take the elevator up, you overshoot it.There is an elevator to the room floors that is accessible either up or down one flight of stairs. If multiple people are traveling with lots of luggage, it's better to leave someone on the bottom floor with the bags and send someone else upstairs to register and get the keys to avoid lugging bags upstairs and downstairs again.

The room was tiny, sort of clean (dust bunnies lurked under the bed and under the radiator but the bathroom and bed sheets were clean) and I wonder how two people would fit on the small bed. Fortunately I was traveling alone. The mattress was old and kind of lumpy, but I managed to find a comfortable position.

Breakfast was included in my rate and was a surprisingly rich spread with cereal, breads, meats, pastries, yogurt and more. The hotel was kind enough to store my bags for the day and returned them in good order late in the day.

Overall, an average experience for a budget hotel. The room was a little below average, but the service and breakfast are above average. This earns my rating of Average. Please do note that I am a very tough reviewer, and not even high-end five star properties have earned an Excellent review from me.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We had the misfotune of selecting your hotel as given us by Budget Places.from night one we were bitten by fleas only finding evidence for sure on the third day of our stay,we were given an alternative room this was okay,our big problem was mosquitos biting us.Our other complaint was the lack of provision of tea /coffee making devices,something I have not experienced in the last 15 years or so of hotel stays.I did fill in your questionaire citing the above mentioned complaints ,to date I have had no reply.Your staff were very helpful,they could not be faulted.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pwack79
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We booked this hotel from 29th june 2012 till 30th june 2012, as we saw on booking.com that the hotel had a review score of 7.4/10 and it was a bargain, but if we had known what we know now, we had never booked this hotel!
The first room we got (room 314) was as small as a phone booth (which was okay, as we knew this as we booked). First we thought: The room is okay (There wasn't a real good light in the room, so it was still dark in the room). But then as we looked closer, it was a mess!
-Everywhere dirt and hair! In the bed, in the bathroom, on the walls....
-Big brown spots on the curtains...
-Bloodspots on the mattress (which were see-able through the tick)
So we got another room! This room (room 311) wasn't better!
-The mattress cover (we took the tick away to look) had plenty of big brown spots, and everywhere long black hair on it!
-The mattress itself also had many big brown and blood spots on it
-The curtains big brown spots
-The windows and windows shelf really dirty
-In the room (wall, floor etc) every dust, big brown spots and hair
-Not possible to sit decently on the toilet! (The toilet cover was fixed under the water container)!
-The rest of the bathroom also dirty
We didn't go again to the reception to complain, because if 2 rooms aren't clean, I think no room will be clean, so we endured the night.
So as we were on our way to the reception to check out, we saw the housekeeping storage room: looking like a trash-deposit! The towels were just piled on to another (some lying on the housekeeping trolley, some lying on the floor).
At the checkout, we complained about our room (we extra took the mattress cover to proof! And also made pictures), the lady at the reception just listened everything and her answer was: ''Our manager is just here from monday to friday on business hours! So you have to write an email, so maybe it is then possible to fix your problem.''
We never wrote any email to the hotel, as it for us just a big fat deception.
As for us, we are sure to never go back again and to not advise this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CookiePeppi
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I spent a night at this hotel and was very pleased with it. Its good value, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. (I was allowed check in early at 11.30 by the very helpful receptionist). The room I had was on the 3rd floor and was a decent size. It had a small bathroom and a good wall mounted tv set. There was a nice touch with sweets left on the pillows.
Breakfast was nice, with a good selection of cheeses, hams, rolls and they have a large coffee making machine on the counter where you can select different types of coffee. There was also some fried eggs. The breakfast room was very tastefully decorated and well maintained.
The hotel is located on a quiet side street, but only a short stroll from the main shoping district, and is also very convenient to the excellent Harbour and Maratime museum.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet base for some sightseeing or business in Rotterdam. The train station is about a 30 minute walk from the hotel, but there are trams from quite close by.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank mikesterDublin
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Having read mixed reviews about this hotel and taking into account the strength of the Euro and high cost of accommodation we booked in for a few days on a visit to see our son.
Alright its a bit basic but it is well positioned for the shops, restaurants and night jife. Yes the rooms are a bit small but the staff were great and it was a nice breakfast. There is a small bar with reasonable prices too.
We reported that our toilet seat was broken and as the whole toilet needed replacing we were moved to a a large suite with whirlpool bath, kingsize bed and a large LCD tv at no extra cost.
We thought the hotel was good value for money and will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: First digit of room number is floor. Higher the other numbers are, the further the room is from the...