“Never Again!”

Grand Hotel Central
Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I would like to inform you of our recent experience following our booking at the Grand Central Hotel. The location of the hotel is superb ideally located for shopping and entertainment. We travelled as a party of 5, we had 1 twin room and 1 triple room. Upon checking into the hotel, we went to our room (I was in the twin room) to discover there were several ants all over the room, visible especially on the table located by the window. We changed our room for the 2nd time- this room had a leak, the 3rd room we were giving, was free of ants and leaks. The guests in the triple room (based at the front of the hotel) were kept awake all night from the music being played in the club located next to the hotel, so they were unable to sleep a wink. The standard of the hotel is very basic indeed especially for a 3*, our bathroom had cigarette butts and matches next to the bath. The restaurant served large buffet breakfast, but once we saw a mouse running across the restaurant floor, we decided not to eat in there again, missing out on the pre-paid breakfast which lead to us spending more money to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Central

Reviewed 1 August 2011

This "hotel" really needs some work. The state of the lobby area, the level of service and the room is very outdated and shabby. Even the hotel sign outside was barley hanging on to the wall.
The room felt smelly and not very clean. It was very noise there as well. Calling this hotel Grand is the biggest understatement ever. And for 100 € a night - a robbery !

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This is a great old building and has a lot of character. It is on the lower price end of hotels in Rotterdam and has some strong benefits - it is very central and despite being used by a lot of back packers, very quiet. The room is a decent size, although a number of the fittings are home made, it is overall comfortable and you get a good night's sleep.

The breakfast is very varied and plentiful - something of a surprise at the price.

Downsides - less facilities which you would expect at the price - no air-conditioning, hairdryer etc, but overall very good value for money

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2011

This hotel overcharged me by €156 during my stay in April and I have been 9 weeks trying to get my money back! The hotel has stopped returning my emails and is just ignoring me at this point! This hotel has sub standard customer service and I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody! If you must stay here always check your bill otherwise you will be fighting to get you’re money back. Just dont stay here the cheap price is just not worth the hassle - rooms are terrible too, uncomfortable, dilapidated and the nightclub beside the hotel will keep you awake all night!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank brian-o-mac
Reviewed 13 June 2011

In hotels.com this hotel is classified as a 3* hotel. In my opinion this is not true.
When I arrived after the earliest check-in time they had informed me I had to wait for my room for about one hour. When I arrived my room it was dirty and it didn't look nothing like in their photos in their website or in hotels.com website. They didn't clean the room properly whole time I stayed there.
+ cheap
+ good location
- dirty
- room nothing like in photos
I don't recommend this hotel and would not stay there for second time.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I arrived almost night and was greeted by friendly staff.
This hotel is really 'Central'.
In the morning a had tasty breakfast
Of course they should renovate the interior of room, but they have a competitive price

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I booked this hotel Agee Reading positive reviews on it. I was only staying one night and arriving late at night due to being on a cycling trip so it was ok for what I needed. The facility area in the hotel is ok, noting special but not bad. The staff very helpful and polite. Now for the rooms. I booked 3 room at this hotel and all could have done with being renovated......about 30 years ago. Yes, it's like entering the mid 1900s rooms are very spacious but I don't think I have seen such a dated dwelling. The location of this hotel is very good and I think with cash spent on it it could prosper as one of Rotterdam's better hotels given the location alone.

• Stayed: May 2011