“Worst place I ever stayed at”

Grand Hotel Central
Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Worst place I ever stayed at”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

1. Checked in and reserved a twin bedroom for me and my friend and we were given a double room. After arguing with the receptionist for 10 minutes (with excuses including they have no spare twin rooms) and asking for a refund, we were finally given a twin room (shocking, considering they had no twin rooms left).

2. Decor in the hallway and bedroom felt like something out of the 1960's and no security for the hotel. Honestly thought I was going to die in there. Nothing was from the 21st century and there was no telephone. No fire escapes sign posted and the elevator/lift was just a metal box which felt like a coffin. Seriously these may sound like I'm exaggerating but I'm not!

I was made to feel like rubbish and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I should know hotel standards. I'm studying hotel standards and journalism at university.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go to the hotel near the Erasmus Bridge. It's much better and near the...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

All looked well on the hotel website but what greeted me on my arrival bore little resemblance! For a start, the taxi driver who dropped me off said "well, what can I tell you about this hotel? Be careful with your belongings, very careful. Lock them up or take them with you" - and as there was no safe in the room, I did.
The room was very small -( I have stayed in better halls of residence.) it was not dirty, but was very 'tired', as others have noted. There were no safety notices (e.g. Fire drill etc) in the room and no telephone, even for internal calls to reception. I only actually saw anyone at reception twice - when I arrived and when I left! Both were very polite and friendly but the absence of regular staff at reception was somewhat disconcerting.
There was no room service available, which was unfortunate as on my first morning breakfast started too late for me to eat in the dining room and still get to the start of my conference on time. In fact I never ate in the hotel as I did not feel comfortable.
As far as I could tell, apart from a clean towel being left on one morning, there was no maid service to my room. I made my bed myself and washed my cup and glass.
There was a lot of noise in the hotel, mostly from other guests but also from the staff trying to get guests to be quiet!
The only good thing that could be said about the hotel is that it was only 5 minutes away from my conference venue - but then so were lots of others! I could not recommend this venue.

Room Tip: I cannot recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Rotterdam hotels

Gloucester
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I was leader of a group of friends staying at the hotel, for the weekend, the staff were ok and helpful, but the hotel was very run down and in need of amakeover, we had problems of leaking water pipers. electronic locks which did not work, and at night with people wandering around the corridors banging on doors and trying electronic keys to get into your room. On Sunday morning there was a young man lying flat out on the foor by the lift access, out cold !

Merseyside
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Just returned from spending four nights in this hotel with a group of friends on a first time visit to Rotterdam. Started with youths hanging about near the hotel trying to sell us drugs. I know this isn't the hotels fault but the staff seemed uninterested when we mentioned it. Also, the lack of security means anyone can walk in off the street at all times day or night and hang around the lounge. I suspect the free internet is the attraction. Although my room was clean, it had a musty smell to it, as did the entire building. My bed wasn't the most comfy in the world and the TV in my room was a circa 1990s set. Unfortunately the above issues are nothing compared to other problems experienced by my group. On the Friday my friend was woken in the early hours by someone trying the door to his room, then attempting to kick down the door of the room opposite. My other friend was scalded by faulty shower taps - when he reported it they didn't take any action until the last day. Another of our group went down for breakfast at 7.30am to find a person lying unconscious by the lift door - having apparently passed out through alcohol. Again, we bumped into a guy who was covered from head to foot in bed bug bites! He was in the process of changing rooms for the third time!
You may think I am being harsh and deliberately listing bad experiences, but I spent 310 euros staying in this place - this hotel is NOT worthy of the price charged!
Ok, the staff were friendly enough and sympathetic, the breakfast was fine and the bar stays open until 2.30am if you fancied a late drink, and of course its in a central location for the city centre. But that's all I can say, I really wouldn't recommend this place to ANYONE, please avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Avoid and book somewhere else!
Nice, France
Reviewed 29 March 2013

They gave me Room 409 on the west side of the hotel. I work at 0200 to the steady thump of music from the club next door. This continued through to 0600. Do not stay in any of the rooms facing this direction as you will get bad night's sleep. The single room I had was adequate if a little tired looking but for the money I could not complain. Breakfast was also very non descript.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the west side
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sean_Reynolds
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This place is shockingly bad! Do not book here. We checked in and it was so bad that 2 hours later we went to check out and asked for a refund. The bedrooms were disgusting, the service is terrible, the staff are rude. We tried to get a refund as we had a 2 week booking but we have just been fed lies and still have nothing back despite never staying more than 2 hours. Avoid at all costs!!

Room Tip: Just don't go.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business