“Horrible!!!”

Grand Hotel Central
Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This was the most disappointing hotel I have ever booked [with Expedia]. The room smelled bad, was uncomfortable, had no phone, no hair dryer, no telephone, no soap, etc. Although I fully anticipated that the hot water would run out during my shower - at one point the WATER stopped altogether - no water at all! I understand that this is a low-cost hotel and that expectations should be lowered accordingly, but in this case this was not even closely worth the low cost. Incidentally, I attempted to enter this review on the Expedia site, but they asked that I re-write it for them to post my review - which I did not. Great location though.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Good location,at 10 minutes walking to Rotterdam Centraal train station,5 minutes walking to "Stadhuis" metro station.
Plenty or restaurants,bars,clubs and shops in the area.
The room was OK,not very big,clean.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank zuv
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This Hotel is old and quirky. It is reasonably priced and located in an ideal place in Rotterdam. The rooms are pretty basic but spotless and comfortable. Staff extremely polite and very helpful. Breakfast - absolutely fantastic. Never seen so much variety of food. All fresh, healthy and beautifully presented. One of the best breakfasts I have ever had. Well done Grand Central Hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Absolutely awful. The rooms are dirty, smelly and I genuinely feared for my property. The bathroom was disgusting. I booked for three nights and payment was in advance with no refunds. No wonder! I had the worse night ever with some kind of "party" going on outside my door. The next day, I took my stuff and checked into a different hotel. A waste of money, but I couldn't bare spending another moment in that place.

Room Tip: Just don't...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Last month I visited this place with my few friends. It is a fantastic place which has all the luxurious amenities. I really want to thank all the team members, who manage things so well. From beginning till end it was amazing experience. Rooms were nice, very well decorated with amazing furnishings and needed things. Washroom was clean and functional. Staff is very attentive and very polite. They took all the pains to make our stay comfortable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2013

1. Checked in and reserved a twin bedroom for me and my friend and we were given a double room. After arguing with the receptionist for 10 minutes (with excuses including they have no spare twin rooms) and asking for a refund, we were finally given a twin room (shocking, considering they had no twin rooms left).

2. Decor in the hallway and bedroom felt like something out of the 1960's and no security for the hotel. Honestly thought I was going to die in there. Nothing was from the 21st century and there was no telephone. No fire escapes sign posted and the elevator/lift was just a metal box which felt like a coffin. Seriously these may sound like I'm exaggerating but I'm not!

I was made to feel like rubbish and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I should know hotel standards. I'm studying hotel standards and journalism at university.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go to the hotel near the Erasmus Bridge. It's much better and near the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2013

All looked well on the hotel website but what greeted me on my arrival bore little resemblance! For a start, the taxi driver who dropped me off said "well, what can I tell you about this hotel? Be careful with your belongings, very careful. Lock them up or take them with you" - and as there was no safe in the room, I did.
The room was very small -( I have stayed in better halls of residence.) it was not dirty, but was very 'tired', as others have noted. There were no safety notices (e.g. Fire drill etc) in the room and no telephone, even for internal calls to reception. I only actually saw anyone at reception twice - when I arrived and when I left! Both were very polite and friendly but the absence of regular staff at reception was somewhat disconcerting.
There was no room service available, which was unfortunate as on my first morning breakfast started too late for me to eat in the dining room and still get to the start of my conference on time. In fact I never ate in the hotel as I did not feel comfortable.
As far as I could tell, apart from a clean towel being left on one morning, there was no maid service to my room. I made my bed myself and washed my cup and glass.
There was a lot of noise in the hotel, mostly from other guests but also from the staff trying to get guests to be quiet!
The only good thing that could be said about the hotel is that it was only 5 minutes away from my conference venue - but then so were lots of others! I could not recommend this venue.

Room Tip: I cannot recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo