“City centre location and cheap.....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Central

Grand Hotel Central
Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Burntisland, United Kingdom
“City centre location and cheap.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Having read some of the previous reviews I entered with some trepidation. The lobby reminded me of hotels in bucharest circa 1991. Many of the ceiling lightd not working etc. Having said that I LOVED THIS PLACE! The receptionist was just lovely and although some of the carpets on the journey to my room need a good spring clean, I found my room clean and fresh. Fittings are from another era but will soon be back in fashion! The room was quiet and the breakfast splendid for the money.
City centre location, tons of eateries and cafes nearby.
Altogether I could not have wished for better even with all the faded charms.
Budget travellers and pet owners welcomed. One of the few hotels left in the centre of Rotterdam that allows and welcomes dogs. I will go back.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kenilworth UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Central for a night with friends as we were going to see Feyenoord FC. We checked in early and were able to leave our bags as our rooms weren't ready; On our return, the rooms were tidy and clean, although there was a musty smell of cigarettes present. The beds were comfy, but my night was disturbed by a rattling flagpole outside my room (the very strong winds weren't the fault of the hotel!!). A very dark bar area, with a wonky pool table meant we didn't spend our evening in, but we all had plenty to eat from a good breakfast selection. Given the price we paid, this was a good place to stay, but not one I would consider if travelling with my wife!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 403, with the rattling flagpole outside (although it was the night of the storms in...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sbakenilworth
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed here for one night on a Sunday to Monday, taking the missus out for a day in Rotterdam. The location was great, and for 55 euros for a double, I couldn't really complain about much. The room (on first floor) was nice enough, kind of smelled musky / cleaning agent / old carpet. The beddings were clearly washed and starched, so whatever. The shower pressure was really strong, so it was great.

Now while we were in the actual room, there were little winged insects flying about and whatnot, but we didn't think much of it because that's just normal bugs every now and then.

Then we found a wingless mite-looking insect crawling on the pillow, and then couple more creeping out (we had just finished watching a movie in the dark), and to the best of my knowledge bed bugs are not visible to the naked eye, so I googled it, and they actually are visible at an adult stage. Some were beige-ish and yellow and others were dark red and etc. I'm thankful that we didn't linger in there long enough for them to get in our clothes, and transmit them to our home, because that would have been devastating.

So we packed out bags and left at 2am, the hotel lobby guy confirmed the bugs (I took a picture of it), and said they are a big problem in the hotel industry, gave me the full refund, and that was that.

AVOID. DO NOT GO, if you go, just be warned.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Rotterdam hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I think all those that gave bad reviews for this place don't get out much!! For 44 quid a night in an inner city hotel with a great breakfast, thats value. Yes the decor has seen better days, the rooms are basic, if you want luxury, go to the hilton over road at 4times the price !! If you want to be near tube, tram, central station, shops, bars and restaurants, stay here,

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Tehran
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Surely this is not a luxurious hotel but Iit is near the Rotterdam central train station and also close to De Doelen center,.a place for meetings and concerts .This hotel is a good place for a short stay offering you the basics

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Wishaw, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed there June 24 & 25th 2013 because everywhere else was fully booked.
Grand, thats an understatement, mabye during the war as the place needs a complete overhaul it is run down.
Rooms are basic, supplied towels are not fit for being used as dusters.
The opposite nightclubs are noisy and you need earplugs for a sleep, and the ongoing building works nearby is like living in a worksite.
Windows in my room on the 4th floor had broken catches and no safety latches, need replacing and very old and would notg pass any building regulations. Small children would need supervised!

Avoid at all cost unless you are desperate and dont fancy sleeping in your car or alleyway.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all cost, Faulty Towers is a 5 star compared to this shambles
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

This was the most disappointing hotel I have ever booked [with Expedia]. The room smelled bad, was uncomfortable, had no phone, no hair dryer, no telephone, no soap, etc. Although I fully anticipated that the hot water would run out during my shower - at one point the WATER stopped altogether - no water at all! I understand that this is a low-cost hotel and that expectations should be lowered accordingly, but in this case this was not even closely worth the low cost. Incidentally, I attempted to enter this review on the Expedia site, but they asked that I re-write it for them to post my review - which I did not. Great location though.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business