“Really poor hotel!”

Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Really poor hotel!”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed there over one night thanx God. The location is the only thing that could be recommended. The standard of the toilet was beyond acceptable like from XVI century or so. We got room 417 as the receptionist said got there and a big surprise key doesn't work and a man opened a door saying its HIS ROOM cos the receptionist gave us wrong information. Our room was 417. No remote for the TV Wi-fi really poor we had problems to connect all the time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

It was horrible. We got the room 414... smelled like desinfectants, filthy, very small bathroom (you.re touching the door with your knees, and I.m only 160). Black hairs on the towel, and more. We were discontent so we got another room... 107... a bit better but in the night there was afterparty... and we got earplugs!!! Wlan didn't functionate, small bathroom, holes in the bedsheets... We wanted to check out. Then we got a room in another hotel ! That's NOT a 3* quality!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Iulia C

Travellers are raving about these Rotterdam hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

The location is the only good thing. Here's the summary:

- rooms are beyond basic, bed felt like a seesaw
- toilet makes a horrible noise
- room stunk like must, paint and cigarettes
- the breakfast was nothing special, and the employee working there was extremely rude
- we asked for extra blankets (even though it was oppressively hot) because we wanted to have as much of a buffer between the bed and our bodies - that's how much of a roach motel this place is

The only thing I can say is that I asked for a quiet corner room as high up as possible and got one. Granted, the cleaning people were so loud outside that we were still bothered.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I stay in the hotel 15-16/1/14 in room 411 toilet it was so bad we flash the toilet all the water came in our heads tv so bad beds like stones and the worst of the story we forget 2 expensive Tshirts and 1 charcher for iPhone 5 I call my ducht friend after 10 min we left to pick up our forget thinks and they say they didnt found sooo bad ... Thieves never go there again

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Burntisland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Having read some of the previous reviews I entered with some trepidation. The lobby reminded me of hotels in bucharest circa 1991. Many of the ceiling lightd not working etc. Having said that I LOVED THIS PLACE! The receptionist was just lovely and although some of the carpets on the journey to my room need a good spring clean, I found my room clean and fresh. Fittings are from another era but will soon be back in fashion! The room was quiet and the breakfast splendid for the money.
City centre location, tons of eateries and cafes nearby.
Altogether I could not have wished for better even with all the faded charms.
Budget travellers and pet owners welcomed. One of the few hotels left in the centre of Rotterdam that allows and welcomes dogs. I will go back.

• Stayed December 2013
Kenilworth UK
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Central for a night with friends as we were going to see Feyenoord FC. We checked in early and were able to leave our bags as our rooms weren't ready; On our return, the rooms were tidy and clean, although there was a musty smell of cigarettes present. The beds were comfy, but my night was disturbed by a rattling flagpole outside my room (the very strong winds weren't the fault of the hotel!!). A very dark bar area, with a wonky pool table meant we didn't spend our evening in, but we all had plenty to eat from a good breakfast selection. Given the price we paid, this was a good place to stay, but not one I would consider if travelling with my wife!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 403, with the rattling flagpole outside (although it was the night of the storms in...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sbakenilworth
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed here for one night on a Sunday to Monday, taking the missus out for a day in Rotterdam. The location was great, and for 55 euros for a double, I couldn't really complain about much. The room (on first floor) was nice enough, kind of smelled musky / cleaning agent / old carpet. The beddings were clearly washed and starched, so whatever. The shower pressure was really strong, so it was great.

Now while we were in the actual room, there were little winged insects flying about and whatnot, but we didn't think much of it because that's just normal bugs every now and then.

Then we found a wingless mite-looking insect crawling on the pillow, and then couple more creeping out (we had just finished watching a movie in the dark), and to the best of my knowledge bed bugs are not visible to the naked eye, so I googled it, and they actually are visible at an adult stage. Some were beige-ish and yellow and others were dark red and etc. I'm thankful that we didn't linger in there long enough for them to get in our clothes, and transmit them to our home, because that would have been devastating.

So we packed out bags and left at 2am, the hotel lobby guy confirmed the bugs (I took a picture of it), and said they are a big problem in the hotel industry, gave me the full refund, and that was that.

AVOID. DO NOT GO, if you go, just be warned.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple