“A conundrum” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Gloucester, UK
“A conundrum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

For those seeking a budget hotel right in the middle of Rotterdam, you could do worse than the Grand Hotel. It is opposite the Hilton, whicih suited me, as I was attending a conference being held at the Hilton, but did not want to pay Hilton prices. All I wanted was a room with a comfortable bed and a shower/WC. And for £32/night for a single room, that's pretty much what I got.

But for location, this is absolutely in a prime place!

The staff were great, the front desk could not do enough and the broken light bulb was fixed soon after I reported it. Sadly the dirt in the soap container in the shower was not removed, though the room was otherwise clean.

The room had the latest in digital radiator control. By this, I mean that it was either full on (and the room was impossibly hot), or completely off (and the room was chilly)! No amount of micro-adjustment was able to provide a happy mean. I could have opened the window, but by so doing I would have been subject to the noise of the building work taking place adjacent to the hotel!

The decor was dull, the room design functional and uninspiring and the lift one of those frightening versions with no inner door. Would I take my wife there? No. Would I stay there again if I were on my own? Yes,

In my opinion, this is a hotel that is ripe for a make-over.

But if it had received a make-over, then it would have been more expensive and I would not have stayed there. And that, my friends, is a conumdrum!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front may suffer from noise from drinkers in the street opposite.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed there over one night thanx God. The location is the only thing that could be recommended. The standard of the toilet was beyond acceptable like from XVI century or so. We got room 417 as the receptionist said got there and a big surprise key doesn't work and a man opened a door saying its HIS ROOM cos the receptionist gave us wrong information. Our room was 417. No remote for the TV Wi-fi really poor we had problems to connect all the time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Rotterdam hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

It was horrible. We got the room 414... smelled like desinfectants, filthy, very small bathroom (you.re touching the door with your knees, and I.m only 160). Black hairs on the towel, and more. We were discontent so we got another room... 107... a bit better but in the night there was afterparty... and we got earplugs!!! Wlan didn't functionate, small bathroom, holes in the bedsheets... We wanted to check out. Then we got a room in another hotel ! That's NOT a 3* quality!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Iulia C
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

The location is the only good thing. Here's the summary:

- rooms are beyond basic, bed felt like a seesaw
- toilet makes a horrible noise
- room stunk like must, paint and cigarettes
- the breakfast was nothing special, and the employee working there was extremely rude
- we asked for extra blankets (even though it was oppressively hot) because we wanted to have as much of a buffer between the bed and our bodies - that's how much of a roach motel this place is

The only thing I can say is that I asked for a quiet corner room as high up as possible and got one. Granted, the cleaning people were so loud outside that we were still bothered.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I stay in the hotel 15-16/1/14 in room 411 toilet it was so bad we flash the toilet all the water came in our heads tv so bad beds like stones and the worst of the story we forget 2 expensive Tshirts and 1 charcher for iPhone 5 I call my ducht friend after 10 min we left to pick up our forget thinks and they say they didnt found sooo bad ... Thieves never go there again

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Burntisland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Having read some of the previous reviews I entered with some trepidation. The lobby reminded me of hotels in bucharest circa 1991. Many of the ceiling lightd not working etc. Having said that I LOVED THIS PLACE! The receptionist was just lovely and although some of the carpets on the journey to my room need a good spring clean, I found my room clean and fresh. Fittings are from another era but will soon be back in fashion! The room was quiet and the breakfast splendid for the money.
City centre location, tons of eateries and cafes nearby.
Altogether I could not have wished for better even with all the faded charms.
Budget travellers and pet owners welcomed. One of the few hotels left in the centre of Rotterdam that allows and welcomes dogs. I will go back.

• Stayed December 2013
Kenilworth UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Central for a night with friends as we were going to see Feyenoord FC. We checked in early and were able to leave our bags as our rooms weren't ready; On our return, the rooms were tidy and clean, although there was a musty smell of cigarettes present. The beds were comfy, but my night was disturbed by a rattling flagpole outside my room (the very strong winds weren't the fault of the hotel!!). A very dark bar area, with a wonky pool table meant we didn't spend our evening in, but we all had plenty to eat from a good breakfast selection. Given the price we paid, this was a good place to stay, but not one I would consider if travelling with my wife!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 403, with the rattling flagpole outside (although it was the night of the storms in...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends