“great and not so expencive!”

Grand Hotel Central
Ranked #46 of 55 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed 23 March 2014

One of the best places I have slept was here, rooms a big, clean, the bathroom is also big and clean, bed is awsome, staff is very fun and realy friendly Breakfest is AWSOME, so much choise and very delicious!!. It is near train station, actualy everything is neat :) I've realy enyod here and I will thefenetly come again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Room Tip: TV reception was very very poor.. to non-existence.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 15 March 2014

For those seeking a budget hotel right in the middle of Rotterdam, you could do worse than the Grand Hotel. It is opposite the Hilton, whicih suited me, as I was attending a conference being held at the Hilton, but did not want to pay Hilton prices. All I wanted was a room with a comfortable bed and a shower/WC. And for £32/night for a single room, that's pretty much what I got.

But for location, this is absolutely in a prime place!

The staff were great, the front desk could not do enough and the broken light bulb was fixed soon after I reported it. Sadly the dirt in the soap container in the shower was not removed, though the room was otherwise clean.

The room had the latest in digital radiator control. By this, I mean that it was either full on (and the room was impossibly hot), or completely off (and the room was chilly)! No amount of micro-adjustment was able to provide a happy mean. I could have opened the window, but by so doing I would have been subject to the noise of the building work taking place adjacent to the hotel!

The decor was dull, the room design functional and uninspiring and the lift one of those frightening versions with no inner door. Would I take my wife there? No. Would I stay there again if I were on my own? Yes,

In my opinion, this is a hotel that is ripe for a make-over.

But if it had received a make-over, then it would have been more expensive and I would not have stayed there. And that, my friends, is a conumdrum!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front may suffer from noise from drinkers in the street opposite.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed there over one night thanx God. The location is the only thing that could be recommended. The standard of the toilet was beyond acceptable like from XVI century or so. We got room 417 as the receptionist said got there and a big surprise key doesn't work and a man opened a door saying its HIS ROOM cos the receptionist gave us wrong information. Our room was 417. No remote for the TV Wi-fi really poor we had problems to connect all the time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

It was horrible. We got the room 414... smelled like desinfectants, filthy, very small bathroom (you.re touching the door with your knees, and I.m only 160). Black hairs on the towel, and more. We were discontent so we got another room... 107... a bit better but in the night there was afterparty... and we got earplugs!!! Wlan didn't functionate, small bathroom, holes in the bedsheets... We wanted to check out. Then we got a room in another hotel ! That's NOT a 3* quality!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Iulia C
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

The location is the only good thing. Here's the summary:

- rooms are beyond basic, bed felt like a seesaw
- toilet makes a horrible noise
- room stunk like must, paint and cigarettes
- the breakfast was nothing special, and the employee working there was extremely rude
- we asked for extra blankets (even though it was oppressively hot) because we wanted to have as much of a buffer between the bed and our bodies - that's how much of a roach motel this place is

The only thing I can say is that I asked for a quiet corner room as high up as possible and got one. Granted, the cleaning people were so loud outside that we were still bothered.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I stay in the hotel 15-16/1/14 in room 411 toilet it was so bad we flash the toilet all the water came in our heads tv so bad beds like stones and the worst of the story we forget 2 expensive Tshirts and 1 charcher for iPhone 5 I call my ducht friend after 10 min we left to pick up our forget thinks and they say they didnt found sooo bad ... Thieves never go there again

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business