“Cheap staying in nice location”

Grand Hotel Central
Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Helsinki, Finland
“Cheap staying in nice location”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Before visiting the hotel I had read many negative reviews about it and was prepared for unpleasant visit. That ended up being unnecessary. The bed was comfortable and the room was tidy and peaceful. No signs of bedbugs at all after all the scary comments on the websites. TV was nice and the wifi worked ok.

The staff was really friendly and helpful. When we checked in our room wasn't ready yet so we got complimentary drinks. After that the room was ready in about five minutes.

The hotel has seen its best days for sure but I didn't expect anything fancy for the really cheap prize we got. Location was excellent! Plus, we had many good laughs when entering the hotel and got scared of the loud alarm sound on the outside door! ;) They should do something about that.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kirsikatriina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel fortunately for one night. The hotel is a cheap hotel so I expected a no frills hotel which is what it was. Very out dated furniture, bathroom, etc. The staff were friendly and did allow us to check in early at no extra cost. HOWEVER, a few hours after checking out at the hotel I noticed I had been bitten on my shoulder, I didn't think anything of it. Then a few hours later my legs and back started to itch. Within six hours I had about 8 bites on my body, I was in terrible discomfort. Once back home I had to visit my GP, she confirmed it as bed bugs due to bites in typical lines. After a few days the itching had finally gone but 5 weeks later I still have scars.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hkm2281

Travellers are raving about these Rotterdam hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have spent 3 days in the Grand Central Hotel, although the room was quite basic and old fashioned our breakfast was very nice and the price for a triple room was quite attractive.
There was no wifi in the rooms but PCs in the lobby. Great location at the Coolsingel and a walking distance to the Central train station.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

amsterdam
Reviewed 6 April 2014

bigger than average room for the price and bathroom bigger than expected. the overall hotel is a little shabby but not delapidated. have stayed here twice now when visiting Rotterdam for concerts and is one of 2 that i will use there - good basic hotel with a good breakfast service and a great location

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Piran, Bohinj, Slovenia
Reviewed 23 March 2014

One of the best places I have slept was here, rooms a big, clean, the bathroom is also big and clean, bed is awsome, staff is very fun and realy friendly Breakfest is AWSOME, so much choise and very delicious!!. It is near train station, actualy everything is neat :) I've realy enyod here and I will thefenetly come again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gloucester, UK
Reviewed 15 March 2014

For those seeking a budget hotel right in the middle of Rotterdam, you could do worse than the Grand Hotel. It is opposite the Hilton, whicih suited me, as I was attending a conference being held at the Hilton, but did not want to pay Hilton prices. All I wanted was a room with a comfortable bed and a shower/WC. And for £32/night for a single room, that's pretty much what I got.

But for location, this is absolutely in a prime place!

The staff were great, the front desk could not do enough and the broken light bulb was fixed soon after I reported it. Sadly the dirt in the soap container in the shower was not removed, though the room was otherwise clean.

The room had the latest in digital radiator control. By this, I mean that it was either full on (and the room was impossibly hot), or completely off (and the room was chilly)! No amount of micro-adjustment was able to provide a happy mean. I could have opened the window, but by so doing I would have been subject to the noise of the building work taking place adjacent to the hotel!

The decor was dull, the room design functional and uninspiring and the lift one of those frightening versions with no inner door. Would I take my wife there? No. Would I stay there again if I were on my own? Yes,

In my opinion, this is a hotel that is ripe for a make-over.

But if it had received a make-over, then it would have been more expensive and I would not have stayed there. And that, my friends, is a conumdrum!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front may suffer from noise from drinkers in the street opposite.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business