“Disgusting Hotel”
Review of New Ocean Paradise

New Ocean Paradise
Reviewed 7 May 2010

The hotel, and the rooms were disgusting - I have never stayed in worse accomodation in all my life!! This is a place homeless people stay!!

Who ever gave this hotel 3 stars was crazy, it's not even worth half a star.....

No internet & there is not even a outside phone line available.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank craigsean
Ruud E, General Manager at New Ocean Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2015

Dear Craigsean,

Thank you for your honest feedback. Sadly we cannot satisfy all of our guests and in this case this holds very much true. Perhaps something positive to conclude, we do have free wifi nowadays….

Reviewed 1 May 2010

We chose it because of the wonderful location and its novelty. It was easy to find and exotic, with a Chinese supermarket on the ground floor and two huge restaurants. The public areas were dirty, the staff charming. Our room was clean with immaculate white cotton bedding, but it smelled strongly of cigarette smoke and the smoke alarm was covered with a plastic bag! The decor and furnishing were worn out, but the shower was excellent. We listened to Karaoke and doors slamming til 2.15 The buffet restaurant was really good, the breakfast very poor. Overall, it was an experience I would not have missed, but it would not appeal to a lot of people. Good for stag and hen nights I should think

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LAYOBSERVER

Dear Layobserver,

Very nice to read that you found it a memorable experience. We are indeed somewhat different than other hotels. Especially now, with an all you can eat/drink restaurant, Asian supermarket and large Chinese specialty restaurant. We are out to give you a near Chinese experience in Europe.
You’ve seen the good, the bad and the ugly. Very similar to Asia for that matter.

Stag and hen parties are more than welcome; we will ensure you a night/weekend you won’t forget.

Reviewed 26 April 2010

The hotel, and the rooms were disgusting, it states that the rooms get cleaned every day - absolutely rubbish - I have never stayed in worse accomodation in all my life!! the Dutch older guy on reception was quite helpful and they ordered us a taxi - that is the only thing potitive I can say about this place. You get complimentary slippers - you will need them as you wouldn't like to walk on the carpets!! No matter how deperate - do not stay in this hotel. Every room is needing done - even if it is with a bottle of bleach!! My friends in the next room got a complimentary smilie face drawn on the dirt in the window. I will add photos soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Coatsie

Dear Coatsie,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed my presence, sadly that I was the only positive point in your stay. I apologise for the state of our rooms, even when reading back upon the review it is cringe worthy. We are planning a major renovation to deal with the cleanliness issue once and for all.

Reviewed 28 July 2008

I stayed at the New Ocean Paradise hotel for three nights in July with my boyfriend. We booked late on the web and thought it would be fun to stay in that kitschy place, and it wasn't too expensive for a 3 star hotel either. But we weren't that happy about it afterwards.

The location is very nice, on the water, by the Euromast and the lovely Het Park and close to the Kunsthal. It also looks fun. But the room was not very clean and very worn out. The bedsheets were crisp clean on arrival, but they didn't change them if we didn't put them on the floor.

We had a non-smoking room, but a strong smell from cigarettes entered the room frequently (probably from the hall or through the ventilation). The walls were also very thin and you could hear almost everything from the room next door. Also, the breakfast was more or less a continental one, but in not very good shape.

On the plus-side were the beds which were very hard and comfortable, the staff who were very friendly and the small freebies we recieved: slippers, complimentary tea, toothbrush, soap etcetera.

To sum it up, it was ok, but I wouldn't stay there again. I would probably choose a cleaner place closer to the city's heart.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kanin1

Dear Kanin1,

I am glad to read that you’ve had a nice weekend in Rotterdam. Moreover that you enjoyed the convenience of our location close to the Park and the Euromast. And in addition that you liked the friendliness of our staff.

We have accumulated many reviews addressing the cleanliness of our hotel. And I am happy to say that anno 2015 we are planning a major renovation to our rooms. This will enable a better and enhanced guest experience. The walls however are not as thick as regular walls since the hotel is basically a boat. Therefore it will be a bit noisier at times.

Again, thanks for the feedback and apologies for the late response.

Reviewed 5 April 2008

Red pagoda like floating hotel on the docks in Rotterdam, with a view across the river...Very close to the Euromast, which we didn't go up, but it makes it easy to find the place at night. The hotel has attentive but unobtrusive staff and a relaxed atmosphere. The buffet downstairs is good value and you can eat horse too if you like that...I was too full before I discovered that 'ossen' was pony steak. There's an Asian supermarket downstairs as well, which sells everything and some strange things as well...intriguing and interesting.
The hotel hosts local and Asian karaoke nights sometimes...be warned. There's lots of gold and red and smiling fat Buddhas. Well worth the online price.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ruud E, General Manager at New Ocean Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2015

Dear Theshadow,

It is always nice to read when a stay has lived up to the expectations of the guest. In this case we were very happy to receive such nice feedback. My name is Ruud Essenberg and I am the General Manager of New Ocean Paradise. Rotterdam as of yet is very much worth to visit again. So if you decide to visit then you are very welcome to stay at our floating boat hotel, the buddhas are eager to show their smile to you!

Reviewed 19 July 2007

I recentey stayed at Ocean Paradise for a weekend while attanding the North Sea Jazz Festival, We had requested a delux double room non-smoking, we got a large room which was not delux at all, the first thing that hit me was the smell very unpleasent ,There was a thin layer of dust on the furniture, the Satelite/cable TV was a joke with no clear picture, no tea/coffee maker, mini bar or safety deposit box. thr fridge was dirty and badly stained.The writing desk in the room had broken draws and some lights in the room were not working, Worst of all there were urine stains at the back of the loo.The hotel was very noisey with doors slamming from 7am onwards
I requested another room but due to the festival all room were full and as were all other hotels.
The staff said it was a non-smoking room but sometime guest break rules, i told them it stinks and they provided some air freshner. If this room was CLEANED properley then it most likely wouldn't stink. the only thing that saved us was the bed was comfy. to sum up it's a very dirty place,I would never stay there again ever, you have been warned.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rookwood

Dear Rookwood,

Thank you for having left your review back in 2007. You were quite the early adapt It has been a while but we appreciate your feedback nonetheless. My name is Ruud Essenberg and I am the General Manager of New Ocean Paradise. I apologise for the terrible experience you have had with our hotel. For what it is worth, we learned and took all reviews into account.

Anno 2015 I can say that we are making plans for the second renovation in 8 years’ time. The situation that you have described is absolutely intolerable and I dare say it will never happen again, we have a very dedicated cleaning crew.

Reviewed 12 November 2006

I stayed at this hotel in november 2006 and was very surprised and disappointed with the stay.

It' was quite difficult to locate and in a quite deserted area of the city. On arrival the boat looks pleasant enough. It has a chinese restaurant downstairs to the left and a chinese supermarket on the right, upstairs are the rooms and an a la carte chinese restaurant.

The room we were given was a twin and not a double and was a smoking and not a non smoking as ordered. The bathroom was a decent size but was dirty with stains around the bath and on the floor. When asked at reception about the room not being the correct one the manager came and checked the room and gave us a non smoking double as requested. Of which the bathroom was still unclean.

As for breakfast i was shocked - it consisted of orange juice, coffee and a chinese biscuit!!! No exageration!!

I wanted to stay at this 3star hotel due to the novelty of the floating boat but would definately deter anyone away from this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Love2travelalways

Dear Love2travelalways,

My name is Ruud Essenberg and I am the general manager of New Ocean Paradise. First of thank you having left your feedback. You probably have to dig deep in your memory to remember us. You also might wonder why we still bother to write an answer after almost 9 years of radio silence.

We have taken all reviews of all years seriously and are currently preparing for the second renovation. We renovated in 2012 and plans have been made to renovate in 2015. Therefore, we expect to deal with the cleanliness issues once and for all. Reviews made it possible to see our flaws and tackle them.

I hope that you are still traveling the globe and visiting places, we are still floating in Rotterdam. The city has gained immense popularity because of recent additions such as the Markthal and the new Central Station. I must say that it is definitely worth your while to visit Rotterdam once again.