“Would you sleep in a dogs bed”

Hostel Boat The Clipper
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rotterdam
Hostel Boat The Clipper
Sheffield
“Would you sleep in a dogs bed”
Reviewed 14 August 2007

Where do I start. First of all we arrived and there was no one there to let us on the boat. After waiting half an hour they arrived to let us in where upon we were greeted by three big smelly dogs. Once we had loaded our bags onto the boat the owner then told us that the 2 nights we had booked in advance was now 1 night as the boat needed spraying for something or other (more like fumigating). The owner said that we shouldn't worry as he would find us somewhere to stay the following night. At first I was a little angry that they had to cancel 1 night of our stay but once we saw and smelt where we would be sleeping this suddenly turned into a blessing in disguise. He then told us that our room wouldn't be ready for another hour and that if we left our bags he would put them in our room. We decided to go out for some lunch as we had been travelling all day and returned to the boat about 2-3 hours later. Our room was still not ready and our bags were still in the same place. They finally shoved us into a room, well if you could call it that, more like a dog kennel! There was also no mention of where we would go the following night. Needless to say we got changed and went straight out. We returned to the boat, not nearly drunk enough to block any of it out. Once I had finally fell asleep I awoke at 6am after about 4 hours on a damp, dog smelling matress, covered in bites. I got up, packed my things and left. The Clipper is the most rancid hostel you could ever stay in. I thought it would be cool to stay on a boat. It was just disgusting, please don't put yourself through this.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank PrincessLSheffield

Business
Vienna
Reviewed 23 July 2007

DON`t Go there!
It´s absolute horrible!
We stayed there for 1 night!
The room was very small, and absolutly disgusting! In the middle of the night we realized that the beds where full of bed bugs!!!
They will bite und and suck your blood! One of my friends get allergicial reactions! This bugs can give you diseases...its not the money worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank Interrailer

Travellers are raving about these Rotterdam hotels

Brussels
Reviewed 31 January 2007

Sincerely, I want to be very honest, this hostel is to expensive for the rooms that it has....I couldn't believe it when I arrived, three dogs inside a little boat, the owners not sympathetic at all. the toilet, broken the shower....my god, the shower is really a container of metal with a shower. I don't recomend it at all, there are a lot of little hotels and hostels in Rotterdam that are not shown in internet, better and cheaper.

• Liked — when I leaved it
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NAcht
Crowborough
Reviewed 23 September 2006

This is the worst hostel I have ever been to in my entire life. The directions to the boat were very poor and it took me over an hour to find it. When I eventually got there, I was greeted by the owners dog which kept barking and growling at me and wouldn't let me on the boat. I thought it would attack me. When the receptionist eventually turned up, he was jaw-droppingly rude and said it my fault the dog was barking at me because "I was afraid of it". The computer for some reason deleted my reservation and although I had booked two nights there, I was only allowed there for one night. The rooms were completely squalid. The sink was blocked, the beds were tiny and cramped, there was water all over the floor, and I saw a little cockroach scuttle across it. The room was also extremely hot, even though it was a mild day outside.

Fortunately, I didn't spend long on this boat. The surly receptionist threw me out of the hostel because "I made a nasty comment about the dog" which was still barking and growling at me. I was very angry about this at first but actually he did me a favour. I went to another hostel in Rotterdam and slept in decent, clean accomodation for a lower price. I know the novelty of sleeping in a boat is a strong one, indeed that was the reason I booked it in the first place, but this place is absolutely awful. There's another Hostel Boat in Lubeck in Germany that is very pleasent and much better quality than this place. I've been to many hostels and this is by far the worst, and it's extremely expensive too. It should be avoided at all costs.

• Liked — Absolutely Nothing
  • Disliked — Surly owner, and his homicidal dog
  • Tips/Secrets — STAY AWAY