“Expected chain hotel”

Bastion Hotel Rotterdam Zuid
Ranked #40 of 53 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed 25 February 2014

As a chain hotel you get what you expect.

The room was comfortable and had the usual amenities, while being clean and reasonably spacious.

The resturant/bar area was nice. There was plenty of seating and a bar area to watch sports as well as a smoking lounge for those who want it. The food was pretty good and you certainly get your moneys worth. I ended up with two full rack of ribs as the menu didnt specify how much as I was going to get. I can't complain, it's better than not getting enough!

Overall it's a comfortable hotel and if you need to get out of rotterdam easily after your stay this is a very well situated hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Eigenaar at Bastion Hotel Rotterdam Zuid, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for the review which you have posted on Tripadvisor.
As we can see you have experienced the personal atmosphere, hospitality, comfort and good facilities of Bastion Hotel Groep and you have summarized it in a great review!

Thank you very much for that.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in one of our hotels!

Team Bastion Hotel Groep

Reviewed 19 July 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed on business and due to a mix up (not the hotels fault) found myself here. I must also point out that smoking is allowed in parts of this hotel and I really can't stand smoke.
2 things
1. Despite being in a non smoking room I could smell smoke in the bathroom
2. The bed was awful, single about 1ft off the ground. The mattress was visible sunk in the middle, was v soft and the pillows had to be folded 4 times to make any use of them

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Derek M
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Rotterdam Zuid, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you wrote on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I assure you that I will take appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you accept my apologies ,

Reviewed 5 April 2013

We booked this hotel as it was close to where we were working, but the thought of staying here for weeks was impossible. We ended up finding a cheaper and 100x nicer short term apartment in central rotterdam.

Bastion Hotel rooms and restaurant were not up to the cleanliness I would have expected (ie. empty wrappers in room, dirty table setting in restaurant). The staff made no effort until a complaint was made and the rooms were much smaller then expected.

We were told that the rooms all had only single beds, so for a couple it wasn't great. Also the bed I slept in was very uncomfortable and uneven. My partners bed was fine.

Food (dinner) in the restaurant was below average and staff would tell us off if we sat at a wrong table in the morning purely because it was already set for dinner that evening (this makes no sense to me, it's just a matter of changing cutlery). Breakfast was very good when the staff were making themselves available to cook us eggs.

Overall I would say, only stay here for 1 night if you have to as it is a good location to certain things.

Room Tip: Stay on the back side of the hotel (not on the main road side), it's less noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AdeleP1
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Rotterdam Zuid, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Dear guest,

I hope you accept my apologies,

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Stayed at the Bastion as a trial as its nearer to work and less expensive than my usual hotel in Rotterdam. Room was clean but basic. Only single beds available which makes it a little uncomfortable for me but the restaurant food was good (again basic steak etc) and the breakfast the normal stuff for Rotterdam (bread, meat and chocolate) The location and cost will mean I stay again. Not bad at all

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TonyCarters
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Rotterdam Zuid, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this.

I hope to meet you again at our hotel in Rotterdam.

Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

Overall average stay, kept awake one night by fire alarm going off due to fault, staff didn't have a clue how to handle the situation no one knew if there was a fire or not!?!
Location was very handy for work, I will travel a little further next time.
Oh, and they even took payment from my credit card twice? Paid back quick enough but just fuzzy payment system.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Ruddyholls
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Rotterdam Zuid, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

I hope you accept my apologies ,

Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed on business at the Bastion again - must have stayed 5-6 times in the past, even when it was going through refurb a couple years ago. Each time I swear never to go back - however, it is convenient for where I want to visit and the food and bedrooms are fine. Actually, this latest visit was the best yet - service with a smile and nice dinner/room.......I might even consider a return!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business