“Ok for the price”

Ranked #43 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Ok for the price”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed in Rotterdam for one night as a stop over and Hotel Baan was our choice because of the price. Turns out the location was really good... Walking distance to the Coolhaven Metro and across the bridge to old Rotterdam. The accommodation is basic and it is an old squeaky building, we had two single beds pushed together and a little TV on the wall but it suited exactly what we needed. Bed was ok, Shower worked great, breakfast was nice and the WiFi worked well. The view of the canal was pretty nice and the street out the front didn't cause us any issues. Could be some noise issues if you had loud guests next door but for us it was ok. Happy with our stay and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pete C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

After arriving at the hotel it soon became clear that we were not going to be staying there. A owner who communicated to the poor girl over the telephone explained there had been a problem with the booking system but was "too ill to sort it out". So we were told to come back in a few hours to sort ot out. We returned to the same situation as before a receptionist being undermined by their awful owners who after 4 hours told us to go elsewhere. After she had found as a basement room. Overall a waste of time and a chance I won't take again.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank barmyarmy123

Travellers are raving about these Rotterdam hotels

Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Hotel Bann Rotterdam

Having travelled Europe and experiencing all types of accommodation, hotel bann was not only the most expensive but also the
Most disappointing.

The room was at best ok. It had all the necessary facilities but it was extremely small and over priced.

The hotel owner, though very friendly and helpful is running a joke of a premises under the name of a hotel.

The interior of the hotel and general demeanour is dated and shabby.

The hotel could be 100 times improved with a little time and energy.

Some may believe you get what you pay for with this hotel but this is certainly not case, having arrived from three nights in a top class Amsterdam hotel for a cheaper rate.

I will not be recommending this so called hotel to anybody. Some may find this review scathing but all we are being is honest.

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank eamonduffy
Valley Center, California
Reviewed 14 November 2009

When we arrived the owner was really very kind. He suggested us good and typical restaurants, places to visit, things to do,...
The hotel is very simple and quiet, situated in a nice zone not too far from the center. Breakfast was abundant, my room was nice and the shower had the hydro-massage. The only problem that we noticed was that the heater wasn't working properly and a night it was cold. The day after the problem was solved.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Santiago de Compostela, Galiza
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Me and my girlfriend stayed in this hotel for a week . We arrived on monday afternoon and door was closed so we must wait a few minutes until the owner, his son and his dog arrived to check us in. The owner (his son and his dog didn't talk with us) seemed a nice person and gave us two rooms to choose one of them. The first one was in the second floor (n.10) and the second one was in the fourth floor (n.18). We went upstairs (and this mean "really" upstairs so the stairs was almost vertical and there isn't a lift) and when we reached the first room we decided to stay there, no matter how the other room (two floors up) would be. The room has a nice view on the canal and was clean and nice despite being a little one with few space for our bags. The bathroom was also small but enough. The breakfast every day was a continental buffet with a wide range of products, from bread to cereals, fruits, jams, cakes and so on. Each day when we went back to the room we have our bed... until friday. On saturday morning the girl in the reception has changed into a russian one (Natacha how we liked to call her, not that this was her real name) that requieres us to pay the amount of the stay and from that day on, until monday morning we leave, never the bed was made or changed the towels in the bathroom when we went back to the room. Sunday morning, as we were taking our breakfast, "Natacha" had a visit from a group of friends or relatives (we believed they were talking in russian language) that mantained her busy without taking care of take off the tables the used cutlery. So, not a bad place for the money if you are looking for a cheap place in Rotterdam, but only on working days or when the russian girl is out of the hotel. No luxuries but pretty near to two underground stations (Coolhaven and Delfhaven) that put you in city's downtown in less than 10 minutes.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Surrey England
Reviewed 2 April 2008

First of all this place is not the Belagio, so if you want all mod cons stay elsewhere, I needed somewhere reasonable to stay while i checked out Rotterdam on a break.

Dont be late to check in, I was and had to wait around for a stoned local to let me in, Didnt care after that, The staff were charming and funny and informative about the local area, (and let me take a doggy bag full of rolls)

So i wasn't expecting much, B&B and a shower , for this it was fine my room had a telly so i could see my friends drowning in mud at Glastonbury whilst i got sunburned,smug and dry in Holland.

At the time i was a student so dosing down was fine but if had a bit more cash i would have expected more, An all round quaility crashpad.Enjoy
ps
Check out Delfshaven on the other side of the Coolhaven for some historic pubs and bars, (this was the one of the few parts of Rotterdam not to get bombed in the war)

• Liked — the charm
  • Disliked — turning up late
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 September 2007

I booked a night's stay at this hotel last weekend as I was visiting some friends in Rotterdam. I paid EUR 86 for the room/ensuite bathroom, which I thought was quite steep for a 2-star hotel. I didn't see the room when I checked in as I was late for my appointment and had to rush off. When I returned later that evening, I was quite appalled. The whole floor was like a building site (the rooms on that floor were being renovated and the room I was given had barely been completed) and the room was dusty and reeked of paint. The bathroom looked brand new and decent but the room was pretty bare - just two, small single beds crammed together, a table and a single wooden chair; there were no closets or hangers. There were paint stains on the carpet and on the curtains, and to top it off, the room was buzzing with mosquitos. The room faced a busy road and though the windows were double-glazed, the noise of cars whizzing
past was more than enough to keep me awake. After more than an hour of trying to get some sleep, I packed my bag and left. I called the hotel the next day to complain but the owners were on holiday and the lady who answered asked me to call back in several weeks' time.

Even if the room was clean, I can't believe the audacity of the owners to charge EUR 86! Absolutely no value for money here.

To anyone who is planning a stay in Rotterdam, don't bother with this
hotel - stay somewhere else!

• Liked — Convenient location close to a mtero station.
  • Disliked — Everything about the room.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple