“Nice restaurant in Retro style”
Review of Engels

Engels
Ranked #494 of 1,172 Restaurants in Rotterdam
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Rotterdam Centre, right next to Rotterdam Central Station. Rooms for conferences, meetings, courses, presentations, weddings, birthdays, meetings and receptions for many occasions with a capacity of 1200 people. Parking under the building and 4 in the immediate vicinity.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This Restaurant is in Rotterdam already for years and years, and still there...it's a nice please to have a glass of vino, a coffee, lunch or dinner, close to Central Station and in easy reach of the City Centre.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Only went to cafe Engels a couple of times when I first moved to Rotterdam and didnt know any good cafe/ bar there. It is highly overpriced and the service is non existant. Waiters will ignore you again and again and are annoyed when you come to the bar to ask for the bill - after being ignored for 20 mins. Cafe Lebkov next door serves great coffee and sandwiches with fantastic service.

2  Thank LOLANetherlands
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Went there with my wife and 2 of the kids, sat down outside between other guests, borrowed a menu from the next table and ... waited. We waited a good 20 minutes without anybody paying any attention whatsoever after which is stood in the open window and tried to draw the attention of a waiter. One saw me and shrugged his shoulders, he was serving a table which I understand but did not turn-up nor did any others. After 25 minutes we left, not having seen a waiter.

1  Thank Jeroen O
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We had an English high-tea at GrandCafe Engels. Personally I find the sweets are too much more than the savories. And the cream in the sweets is a bit too much which kills your appetite immediately... But as a high-tea, it's still well presented and attractive, and we enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere and very friendly service.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

So after a busy day with my three kids I plunged down here on sunday just before dinner time on sunday. It was quieter than I had expected, although there were some 20+ guests. But the cafe-restaurant is quite spacious. I ordered from the menu that was on the table, since my kids at their age are not really connaisseurs (yet) and did not ask for the dinner menu.

The chicken sate was I think straight from the super market, or not better than I the last time I got from the supermarket anyway. My steak was supposed to be a specific breed of cow and it was OK. The meat was fine, not special but OK, but the sauce on it was a little too tomatoe soury to my taste. Kind of spoiled the meat. We also had a soup which the kids liked, especially by dipping the french bread in it. Of course the most important part of a kids dinner is always the fries. My kids ate it, but to my taste they either heated the oil too much or should have changed it earlier. At least it was not expensive.

Service was OK. I think they were kind of understaffed. Even with the few number of visitors (only half of which were having dinner), I still felt some thinks took slightly too long. They did bring some pencils for my kids too draw with (without me asking) , though they didn't bring in anything to draw on, except the backside of the placemats. All this made me feel kind of sorry for the person serving us.

It's really a pity that at such a nice location they couldn't organisse a nicer cafe restaurant.

2  Thank Jie Yong K