“unique little place”

Burger Trut
Ranked #168 of 998 Restaurants in Rotterdam
Cuisines: American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Victoria, Canada
“unique little place”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I was recommended Burger Trut by a local Dutch girl who told me I absolutely had to go there. She was right, I did have to go there, and I was really glad I did. It's located on the perfect spot, Meent straat right by the market so I did what every normal person would do and went and got a burger after the Saturday market. The location is also perfect for people watching! I loved the decoration inside, it was simple, not over done, but still quirky. The lamp shades looked like they were from my grandmothers house and there was a picnic table right in the middle of the restaurant. There are also a few tables outside although it's getting to be a little more rainy so I would recommend not getting caught in the rain and sit inside. Everything has a really clean look to it. I think the more simple look works for them because it means you can focus more on the beautiful tasting burger. I had the Jalapeno burger and it was perfect. Just the right amount of spice, mixed with a juicy patty and a good amount of lettuce. Everything is organic or veggie which gives Burger Trut a cool alternative to other burger places. Burger Trut really stands out compared to other burger places I've been to in the past and I will be returning for another burger very soon.

• Visited October 2013

• Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
“No Common Be-atch”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Tucked away in this upcoming trendy shoppingstreet, the Meent, Burger trut is somewhat of a mismatch, you would think. I went to check out this odd looking place in 2011, then called Roodkapje ( Red Riding Hood ) on my first date. A risk, I know. But the whole idea of creating a venue with no money but using other peoples old junk intrigued me. The date went fine, we are still together and came back several times. The interior reminds me of grandma's place with big curvy lampshades, small flowerplants on a saucer in the windows and uncomfortable wooden chairs you only find in ancient churches. The open kitchen serves organic and vegetarian dishes, most burgers. Big juicy, honest good tasting burgers. Cheap too. Their organic juices, wines etc...also good and cheap. All together an interesting place for when you want something else and on a budget. The restaurant is part of an artistic initiative called Roodkapje, that uses the whole building for creative events. They renamed this little restaurant to Burger Trut to not confuse guests. Burger Trut is a Dutch expression for a common boring be-atch with pretentions.
Oh, in summer they have a small terrace outside.
And make sure you are NOT in a hurry when its busy. The nice people take their time. And you probably bring your smartphone anyway! If you do, shut it down and enjoy some live chatting :-)

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Littl3Bear
The Hague, The Netherlands
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quirky, tasty burgers. A Berlin atmosphere.”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My girlfriend and I love coming here. The hamburgers are very good and fresh/quirky/quaint/unique. The place reminds me a bit of Berlin. This is a restaurant which you could see there too.
Also, the prices are really modest. Ordering a burger, 1 side dish and something to drink should cost you no more than €15. Value for money!
Be sure to try the Huppel de Purple (with a beetroot chutney) or the more ordinary Texas Cheese Massacre. For those of you with a love for cheese.
It used to have a venue next door for cool bands and art expos, which moved to the Teilingerstraat (no. 128).
Altogether, the best (in my opinion) hamburger restaurant in the Netherlands. Or at least the quirkiest.
Opening hours are Tuesday from 17.00 to 22.00h,
Wednesday-Saturday from 11.30 to 22.00h,
Sunday from 14.00 to 22.00h.

• Visited August 2013
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Amazing hamburgers”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I am a hamburger lover and i am always looking for new places that make hamburgers. Burger Trut is a cute little restaurant that makes amazing food. I have been there twice with a friend of mine and both time we have enjoyed delicious burgers.
If you have a craving for a yummy burger for a very affordable price, then you need to visit Burger Trut.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Asia G G
Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
“Something different”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

BurgerTrut is right in the center of Rotterdam, located in the always pleasant Meent streat. We had lunch here in february. We had the two burgers with the organic meat, but they actually have more vegetarian burgers, with a sidedish of coleslaw, potatoe, carrot cheesecake and the sweet potatoe soup. The burgers were OK, though smaller than a big mac, but filling none the less. The coleslaw was not bad, the potatoe really a bit too small for an oven potatoe and not enough filling, the cheesecake was fine and the potatoe soup was good. Of course the biggest disappointment for our kids was the lack of frites on the menu.

The place is industrially decorated. It reminded me of some of the more off the beat places you find in smaller villages with a back packy vibe complete with picknick tables. Not too bad, unfortunately it is not priced accordingly, it is priced to its location.

In february you best keep your coat on while sitting near the windows, since there is no heating and the entrance is not separated from you table by any kind of divide. I guess it just adds to the backpacky vibe.

Personally if you are in that location and looking for a burger with meat I'd go to Dudok (which is sligtly diagonally across it or the Mac if you want to spend less which is 2 minutes walk the other directioon), if you like vegetarian and don't mind missing frites BurgerTrut is fine.

• Visited February 2013