“Food & Service could be better”

Nieuw Rotterdams Cafe
Reserve with
Nieuw Rotterdams Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #372 of 1,069 Restaurants in Rotterdam
Price range: US$14 - US$29
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Visited NRC for the first time with a friend. The cafe has a very nice decor and a relaxed setting. The sort of place where you could easily hang out with friends for a couple of hours.We were quickly seen to by a waitress but we weren't ready to order so we asked for a bit of time. Which we got. We ordered a mint thee for my friend and a coffee for me. Both were good in taste. As time passed we both got peckish so we ordered both a bowl of soup. Pumpkin for my friend and a curry soup for myself. Both arrived in fairly large bowls on large plates but the bowls looked less than half full because of th size of the bowl. Both came with 1 slice of lightly toasted bread which I found rather measly.
The soups were good in taste but mine was warm rather than hot. Being a soup lover to me soup should be hot not warm. My soup was also extremely watery and thin which really peeved me off. I looked at my friends soup who also was good in taste but again was very thin and watery. I've never come across a pumpkin soup that is watery. The bread however was yummy and very much to my liking.

We finished our soups and ordered some cake as a treat. My friend had some sort of cherry cheese cake which she didn't finish and I had some chocolate truffle cake. I asked the waitress for a small bolw of whipped cream on the side which never arrived because she was busy chatting to some friends which I observed while waiting for my cream. The chocolate cake was also a disappointment and did not delight me and was totally forgettable.
The soups and cakes were highly overpriced for what they were in terms of quality and I therefor cannot recommend this cafe for its food nor service.

Wil I go back again? Yes, but only to have a drink in a nice setting nothing more!

There are newer reviews for Nieuw Rotterdams Cafe

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

A nice venue in a convenient location. Beer good too.

But! Service slow, staff really rather dour and as I write this I've spent ten minutes trying to pay the bill.

And have not yet succeeded. Tempted to just walk as we have a table to get to.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

A very pleasant experience in a warm august evening. Sitting outdoor vith a fresh beer and a juicy burger. All around nice people having fun. I definitely suggest this reastaurant café.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

This restaurant has a modern style. The service was good and correct. I enjoyed my food (kalfsoester). With 6 people we get 3 little dishes with fries as side. Not most important item, but for the price a little bit disappointing.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We went here with our little daughter for lunch on a Saturday and had a fine lunch consisting of the fish burger, the bread with eggplant and egg and the coconu curry soup. All three dishes were nice, especially the fishburger with wakame was very nice.

Prices are reasonable and the interior is slightly designy with nice attention to details without being over the top. It feels a little bit like a slightly trendier/smaller Dudok, which has a more retro feel (I think is owned by the same people).

It's located in the Witte de With straat, which is the foodstreet in Rotterdam and is one of the few streets which has a kind of old-timey feel to it.