“Check your bill!”

Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Rotterdam
London
“Check your bill!”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I would have given the Mainport a 4 star review, maybe even a 5 had it not been for the events that took place once I'd got home.

I'd stayed 2 nights in one of their waterfront spa rooms. I was early for check in but was able to leave my things as the room was not ready. When I returned, the queue at reception wasn't overly long but the check in process seemed to take a very long time.

One of the three lifts was out of service for the whole of the weekend which at times caused delays

Day two, I returned and my key card had stopped working, although the receptionist did sort this out, there was no apology. Oddly the man next to me, also had the same issue

The rooms themselves are really nice, large and nicely designed. Rooms aren't cheap, but less than you'd expect for the hotel standard. Be aware that a city tax is added to the room cost - this was a hefty €8 a night.

As others have mentioned, you only get two coffee capsules then you have to pay for them. This seems a little unfair due to the cost of the room. Really nice cosmetics in the room but these were not replaced on the second day

As usual really overpriced mini bar in the room, with some very dubious items available including a 'love kit' which appeared to be a solitary condom, plus bizarrely a sex toy. If staying with children you may want to remove these items

Wifi was fine. TV large and well tuned with a good selection of channels including for a change a good selection of UK channels

I'd prepaid for breakfast but agree with other reviewers it is extremely overpriced for a nothing special selection. On neither morning was I even told about the 'live kitchen' element where a chef could cook up omelettes etc. Coffee was from a standard coffee machine - not even the nice Illy stuff in the rooms. Don't bother, go out and get better food at a fraction of the price

I had a look at, but didn't use, the spa facilities. These looked fine, although somewhat smaller than they appear in the pictures. You are also able to use the pool and facilities at the adjoined Innhotel which is good, especially as the spa in the Mainport expects no swimwear to be worn.

Check out was fine, although this is where it starts to go wrong. The lady asked if I'd used the minibar to which I said no. She charged my card for the room and printed me a copy of the bill.

A couple of days later I checked my credit card bill and found the Mainport had added €4.95. I immediately contacted the hotel via email and was advised it was for the bottle of water I'd had from the minibar. I replied and explained that as I'd clearly stated at reception on checkout, I has not used the minibar. To cut a long story short after an exchange of emails the hotel manager was very apologetic and refunded the charge.

Unfortunately since then he has not replied to my further emails enquiring how the charge ended up on the bill in the first place, what checks have been done with housekeeping to investigate and why the hotel do not send an email when they add extras to a customer's bill after they've left

I would have expected a refund of the charge the very minimum they should do, I would expect answers, but they seem unwilling to give these. So I would strongly advise anyone who has used the hotel or plans to use it to check your credit card bill when you get home as they may have added extras you never used

A disappointing end to what could have been a good stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Myrtyl
RDMgr_InntelHotels, Rooms Division Manager at Mainport Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your thorough review and I am glad to still read through it some positive comments about your stay.

Secondly please accept my sincere apologies for the different mistakes that have been made and for the disappointment you feel after your stay. Please be assured that this is never our intention and we have taken your comments very seriously.

Our General Manager, who you had contact with, was out of the office for a short period and unfortunately was not able to respond to you sooner but I know he has done so today. Please be assured that I and my Front Office and Housekeeping teams have already learned from your feedback and will do our best to prevent this from reoccurring.

If you have any questions or comments after the reply from our General Manager please let me know (+31 (0)10 2175757 or info@mainporthotel.com). Your stay is very important to us and we truly would like to welcome you back one day to show you that we are a great hotel to stay at and that when mistakes are made, we learn from them.

With kindest regards,

Simone van der Veen
Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Oak Ridge, NJ
Reviewed 7 January 2014

On a recent trip to Holland, my fiance and I along with our two best friends stayed at Mainport - probably the coolest looking hotel I've stayed in to date in all of my travels. The best thing about is that it is easily accessible from the main train station by both the trolly and the subway. It is also walking distance to the center of town and has an amazing view of the canal. We had the basic room with city view which came with a massive and incredibly comfortable bed, and a jet tub for two in the bathroom. This room was lovely and we didn't feel the need to upgrade - although a canal view room was available for an addl 15 Euro a night.  The coffee machine was a nice treat as well. Hotel staff was extremely helpful and tended to all our needs with urgency. We were lucky enough to have stayed here for the New Year's celebration for which the hotel offered a 5 star buffet spread for dinner - everything was so well prepared and tasty - it really helped make our New Year's memorable. The pool and spa center on the top floor was also a nice treat. ***Note to all visitors heading to Rotterdam, your credit cards will not be accepted in most establishments. Be prepared to pay in cash as this city only accepts cards with a security chip in them. ***

• Stayed January 2014
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had already decided it was Rotterdam for the after Christmas break and the New Year, so it was just a question of where to stay. After checking TripAdvisor, it was down to the New York, Mainport and the Manhattan Hotels and after checking the locations we ruled out the New York Hotel (sorry, hopefully next time) because it was not as near the centre or overlooking the Erasmus Bridge (for the New Year celebrations). We decided on both the other two (4 nights at the Manhattan and 3 nights at the Mainport) so please read both reviews as a comparison!
Our second accommodation in Rotterdam was the Mainport Hotel, which we chose because of its locality to the Erasmus Bridge and the New Years Celebrations. When we arrived we were given a 7th Floor Water Spa Room overlooking the Harbour with the Erasmus Bridge in full view. The only problem was, the room had not been cleaned, the bed was unmade and towels were scattered around the Bathroom. We phoned reception and they quickly arranged for someone to sort out the problem by offering us a Bedroom on the 10th Floor. Although the rooms were essentially the same, the 7th Floor room was a Corner Room with Windows that have dual aspect views, so we chose to wait for our original room to be cleaned.

The accommodation featured a very large Bathroom with a Whirlpool Bath, Shower, and a Sauna for two people. In the Bedroom there was a king size and extremely comfortable Bed, a small Kettle, Coffee Machine, Safe, Stocked Fridge and a large Plasma TV with lots of channels in many different languages. Free Wi-Fi was available in the room and all over the Hotel complex. Unlike the Manhattan Hotel, there was no free Mineral Water and Biscuit and apart from a couple of Coffee Pods, Tea and Sugar, everything else had a cost to it, although we were impressed with the range of products available for you to buy in the room including Condoms, Chocolate Bars, Key Rings, etc.

The Restaurant and Bar was situated on the Basement level and which served a range of Drinks and Cocktails at the Bar (where Bar Snacks were also available) and an extensive menu was available for the Restaurant.

On the 8th Floor, the Hotels ‘Spa Heaven’ is located with a Swimming Pool, Turkish Steam Room and Treatments, the only problem being, you have to be naked to make use of it. For us more ‘shy’ people, we can use the Swimming Pool and Gym facilities in the associated Hotel next door (with access direct from Spa Heaven).

Breakfast was again excellent with an even greater range of Fruits and Yogurts. Bread, Rolls, Cereals, Meats and Cheeses are also available and there were also hot foods such as Bacon, Sausages, Scrambles Eggs, Ratatouille and Mushrooms. If you wanted something different, Live Cooking was available to provide fried eggs, waffles, pancakes and even Eggy Bread.

The New Years Celebrations were fantastic and we had a great view of the biggest Firework Display in the Netherlands from our room. Brilliant Hotel and highly recommended.

Location: 4

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy G
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We had a wonderful stay in the Mainport hotel. The room was very well designed and we enjoyed the complimentary espresso. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the view from our corner-room was very nice. It would be nice if the tv would have a sink-in function, so it wouldn't block the view from the bed. We did not book the breakfast, because we did not think any breakfast could be worth 28 euros per person. Fortunately there are many nice bakeries at walking distance.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to leave such a positive review of your stay!
I am very glad to read you have enjoyed the beautiful corner room and I agree with you that the large windows offer a great and expanded view from your room!

I really appreciate your tip about the TV and I will discuss this in our Management team meeting if it is possible to make any changes.

For a future stay I would recommend to pre-book the breakfast with the room reservation as you will have a discounted breakfast rate. I can definitely recommend our extensive "Live cooking" breakfast buffet where, aside from a very large and luxurious selection of cold and warm items, a cook is available to prepare your eggs the way you like it, French toast or pancakes for no extra charge.

I look forward welcoming you back in the near future!
Kindest regards,
Simone van der Veen
Rooms Division Manager
Benghazi - Libya
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The Mainport Hotel in Rotterdam is a 5 star luxury hotel which lives up to its reputation of not being just any other hotel. The ambience inside the hotel was pleasant and the place was nice to stay. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends .The hotel building is very clean and modern .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Bugazia
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I should say that I was stunned by the services offered in this hotel. The bathrooms had Jacuzzi and wonderful toiletries. The ambience inside the hotel was pleasant and the place was nice to stay. I went with my family of four and we got extra beds arranged in the same room. The rooms also offer coffee machines, which is a delight to coffee lovers like me. I do not have enough words to describe their service. The freebies provided by this hotel stunned me. It is well connected to all major tourist attractions in the city of Rotterdam. The hotel building is very clean and modern to suit all guests. It was a great pleasure staying at Main port Hotel in Rotterdam.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple