“Good business hotel with nice facilities”

Bastion Hotel Rotterdam Alexander
Ranked #30 of 55 Hotels in Rotterdam
Reviewed 18 March 2012

First of all the address for the hotel gives NOT correct directions on Google maps, you should write Hoofdweg 100! We search for an hour to the hotel and finally after several directions we found it. It is possible to reach by walking from Rotterdam Alexander station (10min from hotel). Rotterdam Alexander was 8min by train from Central station, tickets was bought directly at Schipol. Taxi from central station approx €15.
The hotel was very nice rooms was average with good sleeping quality. Breakfast was included in our price of €100 and the breakfast was great including eggs and bacon.
So service and rooms was all great, the drawback is the position if you not have car.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank EMJ_Sweden
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Rotterdam Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking time to leave a comment on TripAdvisor. Your comments are very important to us in order to keep improving our service level. We try to meet the expectations of our guests and I believe we did achieve this. Furthermore I thank you for informing us about the directions, we will take make the modifications as soon as possible.

I do hope to welcome you in one of our hotels again.

Kind regards,

CEO

Reviewed 31 January 2012

As you can not choose between better than average and not very good, I chose average. As the hotel itself is an average 3 star hotel. The hotel is in a business area of Rotterdam and has easy access to the highway. Room was not too big but clean. Breakfast was okay. Hotel seems to be popular with businesspeople. They have rooms where you can smoke (I don't know if that is a salesargument these days). What makes this hotel not the standard average is the staff. The people who work here make it a better experience than just plain average.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Bastion Hotel G, Owner at Bastion Hotel Rotterdam Alexander, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for the comments which you left on Tripadvisor. We try to meet the expectations of our guests. Your opinion is very important to us, I can assure you that the compliments will be forwarded to our hotel staff! For all of the other comments, we will take the necessary actions. I hope to meet you again in one of our hotels
With kind regards,
CEO and Owner

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Terrible internet - not suitable for work or leisure
Food is bad - pretty expensive and bad
Rooms are clean - the rooms are cleaned everyday
Restaurant is not clean - tables are sticky
Bathrooms are clean - this applies to room and public bathrooms

Tip: don't choose breakfirst for 13.50 euro.

Room Tip: Skip breakfirst and call the hotel for the best price
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that I will take the necesarry appropriate actions in order to improve our services. We regularly train our associates in assuring our perfect service and taking ownership.

I hope you accept my apologies ,

With kind regards,
Owner and CEO

Reviewed 20 April 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night on April 9, 2011, for the Rotterdam Marathon. The hotel is slightly out of the way from the city center, which involves a 15 min. walk to the train station then a 15 min. ride on the train. The hotel staff are helpful and professional. The rooms are extremely clean, and quiet. No freeway noise was heard even though our room faced the freeway. One area of improvement for this hotel would be to offer better and larger bottles of shampoo / shower gel, etc. A fine hotel. No problems here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Clean and well equiped room. Bed not great but good enough. Ample space. The safe did not work. Location is not good. Its a 15 min walk from Alexander station, which is 10min overground train to Centraal Station. Another reviewer says there are no pavements down, this is not correct, but you can walk off the pavement path if you dont look ahead. I believe I was there the same night as this gentlemen, as I overheard that conversation.... I had the meat Lasagne! Like the other meals it was very good and surprisingly well priced. The mini-bar is also not badly priced by other hotel standards.

Breakfast I was unhappy with. As noted by another review, they do not replace the food, in actual fact, the lady stood about while I was putting food in my plate, as soon as I sat down she brought out more, WHY? The staff really are hands off, they buzz about asking if you want anything etc, but in my case I actually like that. I dont even like the usual "is your meal ok/everything to your satisfaction?". Here they let you get on with it, other people would consider that rude i guess.

On the whole I was quite happy, but like every hotel in Rotterdam, its very expensive. A great facility there is free-wifi. Id give this hotel 3.5 stars.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2009

1. Breakfast ends at 1030. Arrived at breakfast at 1020. There was hardly no food available. Food was not being refilled. Spoke to Asst. Manager about it. She was very rude, arrogant, not customer friendly. Very negative attitude. Her comments were:
"It's finished, no more food is being put out". She even said: "So, you just don't eat".

2. Room key was defect. Desk personnel was not allowed to issue a new one until the next morning.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2008

We booked our stay using the Bastion Group website, and that worked fine - we were expected when we arrived.

The hotel is located just off the Rotterdam Ring (NE corner), on a busy suburban street, Hoofdweg. It is thus easy to access, and it has its own, free, carparking, both above- and under-ground. There are no shops in the immediate vicinity, but the major Oosterhof/Alexandrium shopping centre is about 2km east along Hoofdweg.

The hotel is new, opened in November 2007, so it's pretty much unmarked, as you might expect. That said, there's still some niggling post-contruction details they should attend to (squeaking doors, dusty windows, etc). Our room was of average size, nicely furnished and with two very comfortable beds. There was a fridge and tea/coffee facilities (albeit in very meagre quantity). The room was air conditioned by an effective, silent, system.

Although there are busy roads nearby, the rooms are not just double-glazed, they are double-windowed and this was totally effective against outside noise - very impressive.

The hotel is wi-fi equipped throughout, and this is an internet terminal in the lobby, free for guests.

There is a bar and sizeable restaurant - they looked fine, but I cannot comment further as we did not use them. A 3-course menu was advertised for Eur19.00.

This new, modern, hotel provided comfortable accommodation for us in our required area of Capelle (where, otherwise, hotels are rather few and far between). We would recommend it as such.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)