“KIP , what's in a name?”
Review of Kip - CLOSED

Kip
Price range: US$36 - US$144
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Nieuwe Werk
dutch senior couple
“KIP , what's in a name?”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Restaurant “Kip” (Eng: "Chicken" ) you must discover a bit. The name suggests a kind of "MacKip", while they don't even have chicken on the menu! And the appearance of the building (next to the restaurant cluster “Westelijk Handelsterrein” ) and the interior look more like a student association building than a restaurant from the above-average class. Thereby it does have a unique informal atmosphere, which apparently attracts many "locals".

On a summer evening we ( as a group of five people ) went to the terrace behind the building and ordered the chef menu (at a rate of € 54.50) consisting of 5 courses. All courses were to the taste of us; there was a nice variety of flavors, and in each course was an obvious centerpiece ingredient with subtle flavor additions from the garnishes. In the accompanying wine arrangement were tasty wines, but I thought it was a bit high priced ( € 40 including coffee). In detail some critical remarks : on one board the two crawfishes were very miniscule and there was one veal ribeye , which was less tender.

A disappointment was that the coffee was served "bare"; a friandise or chocolate truffle there had made a difference, but never mind that, overall it was OK. The service was good too with great hosts and good timing between the courses.

So if you just want to eat chicken then you should by pass restaurant "Chicken" . And if you want more, then feel free to go inside.

• Visited June 2013

• Greek first
Guildford
“Kip Kip Hooray!”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Restaurant Kip means Chicken, but it is so, so much more. Our group of over 60 people was welcomed, fed and watered, and then watered again, for a superb evening. The staff were attentive and very much on the ball. Nothing was too much trouble, especially for those among us with food issues. The portions were generous, the service quick and the ambience reflected both style and quality. Thoroughly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“very good environment to go in big groups”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

we went with a group of 10 and used the room on the top floor, it was very private and great to have a good enjoyable dinner.
both food and service were 1st class.

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food in very pleasant surroundings”
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I went on my own mid week January. The dining room is stone/wood/fire cosiness - wooden tables, white napkins..very good taste! Things took a while to get started..I was brought some water..then nothing for about 10 minutes..then an amuse bouche of fish soup..and then a menu..

But things picked up. I went for the four course surprise - said I didn't fancy kidneys, venison or eel. I thought the food was great - intense flavours, and some saltiness, but I think that's more the chef's style than errors. The black beans with my catfish were extraordinarily tasty; slow cooked veal stew sat on mash with brussels sprouts. I thought four rather than three meant I'd get cheese..but next came a 'main' - duck with celeriac in different forms (crusty cake, puree..). Unfortunately, by now, the other three tables had cleared, and it was just me and the staff! They didn't flinch, but I did feel like I wanted to hurry up! But I still had my pudding (dainty tart tatin, waffle ice cream..something else..!) and my dessert wine. The wine selection, a glass with each course, is particularly good value, but overall, it's a great place I'd love to return to.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank LGaryThomas
Kusnacht, Switzerland
“Lovely outdoor setting”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I went here for a meal with my daughters in summer. We were able to sit outside in the garden under large old trees. We had the surprise menu which was really good. Service was very good, and the atmosphere was cozy and romantic. We had a great time and I would like to return with my husband too!

Visited August 2012