“Decent rooms - rubbish breakfast”

Novotel Den Haag World Forum
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in The Hague
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here three times now due to location but won't be staying again. Rooms are adequate but two factors have put me off

1. The lift - it takes an eternity to get to where you want to go. When the lift does eventually arrive it is full and you need to wait again. It takes a ridiculous amount of time!

2. Breakfast - rubbish. Rude staff. No where to sit. Whole areas cordoned off that they won't open 'because that's for the evening'. Food selection poor. Queue for coffee. No service.

In summary I'd say they have too many guests for the infrastructure of the hotel.

And this is not the result of one visit. It's the result of three. And I go to a lot of hotels.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Honestdave71
krijntaat, General Manager at Novotel Den Haag World Forum, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear guest. Thank you very much for having taken the time to update us with your comments about your stay in our hotel.
Unfortunately you experienced longer waiting time for the elevators, which only every now and then occurs when the World Forum hosts a congress, and everybody wants to go up at the same time.
Your are totally right about the breakfast, and we will take immediate action towards the restaurant staff.
I do hope that these incidents do not withhold you from visiting us again in the near future.
Please inform me personally of your next visit, so I can look after your reservation myself.
With kindest regards,
H5389@accor.com

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The hotel is large and new, situated physically inside World Forum congress centre, so I was happy I stayed here due to my meeting at World Forum. You can get here e.g. by tram 17 from Railway Station.

Nice part is that breakfast is till 10:30. Breakfast is not large but has all typical continental ingredients. However its price of 20 Eur probably not friendly to leisure travelers who have to count money, this situation I often encounter in Central-European locations.

Rooms are spacious and all typical facilities are here. I like very much that you have a kettle in the room and the iron board. However watch for iron surface: it looked used and burnt a little. Worked ok, though, but left traces on clothes. If hotela reads this: check these.

What was really really funny is a heating/cooling. I stayed here in November, and in one room it was kinda hot. Floor was heated, and ventilation was dead. I opened the window, and it became reasonable there. I had to move to another room, and it was... very cold. Ventilaton was alive, but without heating effect. I complained to rececption and they were quickly served me with a heater, that brought temperature to good level. But still, it is very strange to have one hot and one very cold room right to each other. These were 902 and 905, by the way. I however have to add that in cold room heating was switched off and when it is on, heating works fine, just you can not heat already cold place fast enough. But all together, i could not tell that sleep quality was great.

On checkin they may ask if you prefer bathtub or shower. Or may not. They have rooms with both.

One interesting important detail: they ask for your credit card and record it in system as a guarantee and THIS BLOCK MONEY on your card (55.95 euro). They unblock when you leave. To avoid this, you may try to tell them up front that YOU DO NOT WANT ANY EXTRAS. God knows what it means but they may not ask for your card (providing that you have paid in advance for the stay. If you did not, they probably ask for card anyway).

I can not comment how well AC is working in summer. Noise isolation is fine, you won't hear others.

Staff was helpful and very attentive, so the service here is great.

Room Tip: Check conditions in the room and the behaviour of ventilation. Change room if not satisfied.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
krijntaat, General Manager at Novotel Den Haag World Forum, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review at tripadvisor. Of course we read this! I am happy you appreciated the kettle and ironing board in the room. We will definately check the irons as well as the heating system. Thank you for the nice words about our service !

Hope to welcome you again soon,

Reviewed 17 November 2013

The staff are really friendly and the hotel is nice. The rooms are nice (although I did expect the Executive room to be bigger than it was. I believe the only difference to the normal rooms is that there is a sofa in there which would be hard to sleep on). The bathroom, however was really nice with an amazing shower. The water pressure was amazing and the bathtub was filled within no time! The miniatures were of a great quality including an exfoliating gel which I have never seen in a hotel before. Slippers were of a good quality and the room was well equipped with a kettle etc. My only gripe is that I was really looking forward to using the sauna and spa facilities. Firstly you have to pay 10 Euros and secondly they close at 3pm during the weekends when check in is. So my plans of having a relaxing evening in the sauna and spa were thwarted. I was quite disappointed but maybe my expectations were too high. Overall it was a very good hotel with lovely helpful staff and nice rooms. Location seemed good. I was at a conference at the World Forum which adjoins it. Otherwise it is a 13 minute tram ride from the central station

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
krijntaat, General Manager at Novotel Den Haag World Forum, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Let me first thank you for your stay and your lovely words about the hotel. Particularly I am proud about your comments regarding our staff! I have good news concerning the sauna and fitness as they both will be open on the saturday for a lot longer.
Hope to welcome you again soon in our hotel.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 4 November 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The rooms are fine with a good shower (thin towels, no washcloths). Couldn't hear other guests. Windows crack for fresh air, though room wasn't smelly. I so appreciated the flexibility in allowing me to check in at 9am due to a red eye flight. You're given a choice of shower or tub. I loved the 12th floor view from my room and appreciated the glass exterior of the elevator to see the city, the weather. My only complaint is that the otherwise excellent desk staff seemed to have only the vaguest knowledge of the neighborhood. They'll give you a map, direct you to "the Fred" shopping street, but beyond that they can't make any recommendations for restaurants or anything. Also, there is a 17 tram stop much closer to the hotel than where you're directed to--out of the hotel, to the left. It goes to the Centrum just like the 1 but is a shorter walk from the Novotel. The breakfast is fine but the same every day. Long lines for coffee during the busiest times, so it's worth going down earlier than within 30-45 minutes of the first conference event. The bar off the lobby is reasonably priced with friendly staff. Beer choices limited but what they offer is good. Beer lovers should go to Gall & Gall on the Fred for excellent, relatively cheap beer. The cheese shop further down and across the street is wonderful: lots of samples, good prices. Tasty is a good lunch place. Paagman Books is fantastic--great selection in English, also an office supply store, post office, and cafe.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
krijntaat, General Manager at Novotel Den Haag World Forum, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. I am so glad you liked the room and view. The bath linen already has our attention and I am expecting a solution for that soon, thank you for mentioning though. Concerning your comment about the excellent staff and their knowledge on the surroundings, this will definately be discussed with our staff.
Again thanx for your positive words and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed at the Novotel which adjoins the World Forum where my meeting was.

Nice and bright, rooms clean and contemporary, decent breakfast, friendly staff.

You can get the number 1 or 17 tram from the Central Station.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
krijntaat, General Manager at Novotel Den Haag World Forum, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your review! I am glad you like our renovated rooms. Indeed if you have business at the world forum our hotel is the most comfortable and the closest by.