“What happened?”

Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in The Hague
Reviewed 19 February 2014

When in The Hague I stay at Des Indes. For many years now and for the first time I missed the grandeur and impeccable service and the warm welcome. It went wrong from the start. Entering the lobby my first experience was the heavy smoke of cigars. Nothing against cigars, I like one myself from time to time, but it's not something you want entering a hotel. Check-in was sloppy. Not greeted, no welcome back and not even acknowledged as a Gold SPG member. When I get to my floor I find my room is straight across from the elevator. Strange, in my SPG profile it's clearly marked I want to be as far away from an elevator as possible and on high floor. Actually, they did this to me already once before. A simple request for a change of room did result in a move to a room where the bedlights didn't work and where turndown service was clearly not available. I showered before my dinner meeting and found the room in exactly the same condition back when returning late in the evening. So morning shower was with the same ammenitites and towels as evening. My colleague did get a full service room at the same rate.
Dinner was good with fine wines. Breakfast was abundant and good. Check-out took 25 minutes (ok I also paid for a second room and the dinner; but still).
So all-in-all I left disappointed. It used to be different. I hope Des indes can get back to its grandeur of before. I'll certainly give it another try because it is worth it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Lars,

Thank you very much for your visit to Hotel Des Indes and for your valuable feedback. Please be informed that we will take on this feedback in order to avoid any of this from happening again.

We are however delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your dinner with us. Please be informed that we will sort out what happened during housekeeping service.

Rem Bastiaens

Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Positive:
Location is great, building is historical and beautiful.

Negative:
Doesn't feel like a 5 star hotel!

- Rooms are okay quality and cleanness, but not "polished".
- Stuff is generally friendly, but not confident with their English.
- Breakfast is expensive, but far from exciting.
- No walk-in shower, getting into the bath is difficult and dangerous.

• Stayed: February 2014
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Victoria,

Thank you very much for your feedback with regards to your recent stay in Hotel Des Indes. A clear overview of what you really liked and what we can do better is always very helpful.

Please be advised that all of our rooms differ in size and set up, so it would be our pleasure to arrange you a room with separate shower during your next stay. Additionally, we would like to point out that all of our team members went to thorough screening before being hired, and the knowledge of English is one of the important measurements.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed at Hotel des Indes last week when I was in The Hague for work, it was highly recommended by colleagues, and I was not disappointed at all. Very friendly reception staff, I was given a great room with a two post bed, and the hotel is in a great and central location.

Had dinner at the restaurant, and the food was very nice, but not abundant so was a bit hungry when I left. Breakfast could also have used a few more options, and was not up to par with the great standard of this hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Eric,

Thank you very much for your stay with us in January. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your experience with us and hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a family get together, even dough it was only for 2 nights we have enjoyed every single second, the staff is amazing, and location is superb. Can only recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: club lounge rooms are amazing
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Carl,

Thank you for visiting the Hague and for choosing Hotel Des Indes. You short but enthusiastic review is much appreciated and we'll share with our team.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

The Hotel Des Indes is an ornate and very comfortable, old world hotel in The Hague. The property is rich in the history of Holland with an eye to comfort of business and diplomatic travelers. The staff was friendly and attentive; my room was clean and well appointed; like other reviews, the rooms tend to to darker colors which tends to a more formal ambience. My room did have a full window within a high ceiling overlooking the street. Bathrooms were clean and well organized with a spacious shower; my room did not have a bathtub. The basic wifi was complementary and dependable. Queen size beds were sumptuous. There was some very slight background noise from street traffic on the first floor but it did not disturb a good night's sleep. The bar and central rotunda lounge are truly historical gems and are not to be missed. The Hotel Des Indes is the best place to stay in The Hague.

Room Tip: Every room is arranged slightly differently; ask the staff to explain the unique room design upon ch...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for visiting Hotel Des Indes and for sharing your experience!
We are delighted to learn that you had a nice stay and that you appreciated the ambiance of our property. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My mother was originally from Den Haag and many events in her family were celebrated at this hotel. I have stayed here three times over the years and have always left feeling happy with the choice. It is a compact property with a very cosy feel to it. I rather like the interiors - heavy colours indeed but they seem to suit. I have always been allocated a room at the front of the hotel, overlooking the small square, which affords a very quant view. Staff and service are consistently good and the foyer lounge excellent. This is my choice in Den Haag.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Ashley,

Thank you very much for you wonderful words and for taking the time to share those.
We are delighted to learn that you are a frequent visitor and that we were able to treat you with an unforgettable stay every time. It's just great to be part of such an important family tradition.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We spent a few days in this hotel. Our feelings are mixed. Decoration, building and room were fine. But we slept very badly because of outside noise from delivery trucks and garbage trucks early in the morning. In addition, the Argentine restaurant just below, poured its full bins bottles at midnight every night, which was not the best to fall asleep.
The room cleaning was not perfect and not the same every day. The service and breakfast were perfect. Finally, sauna, steam room and pool are really not up to the place. (cold pool, showers, steam room cleaning and more than doubtful).
Nevertheless, we spent an excellent night for the nea year eve that was just one of the best we ever had! To conclude, this is a good hotel that needs to make some efforts in few points

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank richvirgfrance

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for visiting Hotel Des Indes recently and for sharing the story of your stay online.
Let is just start by writing you that we were delighted to read that you had a great new year with us!

We do however also like to point out that you mentioned some other points of a less enthusiastic note. Please do note that hygiene and perfection are of great importance to us, and that we will therefore take on your feedback as action points in order to avoid this from happening again.