“A magical stay at the Des Indes...”

Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in The Hague
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I just completed a very important stay at the Des Indes that had important romantic implications. I had reached out to the hotel Guest Services team on multiple occassions to inquire about certain room availability and other services. The Guest Services team were extremely helpful with every aspect during my stay. I cannot say enough abou this time and how helpful and patient they were with me before my stay.

Prior to providing my thoughts about my 4 day stay, I must say I did A LOT of research about this hotel b/c of how important this trip was for me and my guest. The reviews were mostly fantastic and my fear was that either the room I would be given would be a disappointment and/or the hotel did not meet the standards others had shared about it. Thank goodness, they did not overstate the quality of this hotel. I was completely pleased with my entire stay at the Des Indes.

I had asked for and was given room 405, which is a Junior Suite located at the right top corner of the hotel that had a terrific terrace. There are two other front facing suites on the fourth floor, but they are Presidential Suites. There was a festival that went on across the street that was noisy until 11pm every night, but were not concerned about it as we were out and about until after 11pm most nights. If one was there for business and needed an early night, the rooms racing the front or right side of the building would not have been good ones. The room we were given was spacious, but not very large. There have been others on this thread who have posted photos of this hotel, and I believe, of this room. It was terrific.

The hotel's decor and location were equally outstanding. You can exit the hotel in any direction and find tons of restaurant and bars to enjoy. I loved just stumbling upon some great places around the hotel and others that were near the Tram location. I seem to find one terrific place after another by just wandering around. Speaking of the tram, I had some business I had to do while I was in Den Hague and used the Tram extensively. It was close to this hotel and only cost 3 EURO per trip. One has to be careful what Tram track you are taking. I made that mistake once and it cost me a 20 EURO cab trip back to where I needed to go. In general, the Tram is a convenient, efficient and cost effective way to see the city versus taxi rides. If you have time to spare, many things are also within walking distance.

I was excited about the Cigar Lounge at the hotel, but never ended up using it. We walked around so much, I smoke my cigars then. There are so many smokers there, I never had to worry about offending anyone. I had Spa Services arranged for my guest. She loved them and got along quite well with the woman who did all the services, especially since both were originally from Eastern Europe. I thought the Spa Services were quite reasonable. Some have commented that the location of the spa and pool were not ideal. I had no problem with it. The area was small, but nice. We had planned to use the pool, but there were other guests already using it, and we didn't want to invade their space and never ended up using it, but it looked very nice. There were also a steam room and sauna, which again, we did not use, but looked very nice.

We also used the bar/restaurant and had breakfast every morning. The food was good and the charges for food and the drinks were pretty good for a hotel of this quality. The only ding I would give this hotel was with the quality of the service in this area. Everyone was nice enough, but it appeared that they were understaffed, undertrained, or not as attentive as I am using to seeing from a Starwood properties of this caliber. I am really nit-picking here, but I wanted to provide and honest, objective review of this property.

Bottom-line: Even though I did my homework and reached out to the hotel management in advance of my stay to help encourage them to give me the exact room I had requested (I also used my SNAs to ensure, along with my Platinum status that I would get the room I was hoping to get), this stay could not have turned out any better. The hotel was lovely. The city was terrific. The weather behaved. My guest agreed to go to London with me after the stay in Den Hague and accepted my offer to augment our relationshp status. So, all-in-all, a wonderful trip with storybook ending...for us. :)

Room Tip: I had asked for and was given room 405, which is a Junior Suite located at the right top corner of t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Leva,

We would like to thank you that you have chosen Hotel Des Indes during your important and romantic weekend. We are very delighted to read that all our ambassadors have exceeded your expectations and truly made your stay memorable and magical!

We have noticed that you have done quite some research before your arrival and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back soon to discover more about The Hague and Hotel Des Indes with our concierges.

Rem Bastiaens

Write a ReviewReviews (1,025)

Reviewed 29 April 2014

What a grand hotel. Full of old world charm and friendly staff. We found everyone was helpful especially the front desk and concierge. Multiple days different people help us plan out our day from trams schedules to restaurant recommendations. Even though the annual carnival was going on, we couldn't hear any noise from our room. The rooms and beds were very comfortable too.

Room Tip: Use the complimentary Wifi to check out reviews on Tripadvisor.com. Nice to have the free wifi
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Traveler,

How wonderful it is to learn that you have had an enjoyable stay with us!
We are very proud with the knowledge and assistance our staff provides for our guests, and the rich culture we are located in the city center of The Hague.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I recently stayed two nights at the Hotel Des Indes while in the Hague. I prefer Starwood hotels when I travel, and I was not dissapointed with this Luxury Collection property. This is a top notch boutique hotel with friendly & exceptional service. While exuding old world charm, the hotel was in no way stuffy. The rooms were spotless and very comfortable. After flying for 10 hours and driving for 2 hours, the mattresses were more than comfortable. Breakfast was also excellent. If you have a car like we had, the hotel has a private parking lot in front of the main entrance - a true rarity in any city. An added bonus is that there was a large selection of wonderful local bars & restaurants within a short walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BobbeeDee
DIndes, Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear BobbeeDee,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Des Indes, and what a great pleasure it is to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We highly appreciate that you have took the time to share this online!

We will be sure to share you enthusiastic review with the rest of our team. Our concierges know the best hot spots in de city and are always ready to assist you with all possible requests.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Hotel des Indes is a grand structure located ideally in the historic centre. alot of great names have passed through its doors, given the Hague's status as an important European political and institutional centre. It was renovated in 2006, which at first made us a little scared, as hotels start looking tired at that kind of length of time after a renovation, but we were pleasantly surprised.

The welcome
Perfectly executed by the concierge, who took our car and parked it in the tiny little carpark in frant of the hotel, and brought our luggage to the check-in, where our room was processed swiftly. The Dutch at incredibly polite and friendly in general.

The room
Top floor presidential suite. Huge (2.5 normal rooms), tastefully decorated by Jacques Garcia (I would say nicer than the Danielli in Venice, which was done by Garcia too, but more recently). Not too many buttons and light switches, a small terrace with outdoor chairs (too cold outside to use, really), massive bathroom with steam room, two wash basins, very comfortable bed as we have coem to expect from Luxury collection hotels by now.

The Public areas
The breakfast/dinner room is grand but intimate and very luxurious. Alot of velvet, guilded chandeliers. The breakfast spread is very good and the service impeccable.

Any problems?
There was a fun fair in the open ground about 200 metres from the hotel, which blasted out cheesy pop music from 10am till 11pm every day, which was irritating but did not bother us too much. I witnessed quite a few guests complaining and one irate German couple discussing a cancellation of his reservation and refund with the manager. It's not the hotel's fault that the city decided to host the fun fair right in front of it and allowed it to make such a horrendous amount of noise, but beware, as this fun fair apparently happens around easter every year for 2 weeks.

One of the concierges gave me the wrong directions to two museums, leading us to go on a wild goose chase. Otherwise the service was generally spot-on - requests for cutlery, bath amenities etc were dealt with within 5 minutes of the request by phone, which is about the best we have had so far at a european luxury collection hotel.

Conclusions
An excellent stay for a city weekend in the Hague. The Hague itself is a treasure trove for those who enjoy art, and there are plentiful cute cafes to have lunches in.

Room Tip: Beware of the carnival every easter! very nooisy for some rooms!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your polite and positive review.We are very pleased to read that you had a true Hotel Des Indes experience, We will be sure pass on your wonderful comments to our colleagues.

We are very proud and honored that Jacques Garcia restored the historical glory of Hotel Des Indes in 2006. Being located in an monumental city palace we want to give our guest, like you mentioned, a grand and intimate experience.

The fun fair just located outside our hotel is a typical Dutch tradition honoring and celebrating the birthday of our King or Queen. During this time of year we also have many antique and flea markets in the city of The Hague that are worth visiting.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I was expecting a quiet stay in a Luxury Collection in the Hague over the weekend. However, when I arrived, there is a noisy carnival just outside the hotel with loud speakers, people screaming and flashing lights. The rooms are small, uncomfortable and primitive. They should have warned the guest about the noise, but there is no mention in their webpage.The atmosphere is like a red light district in Amersterdam. The attitude of manager and staff are arrogant, rude, on the rascist side. Avoid this hotel at all cost if you do not want a cheap hotel experience in a red light district in Amersterdam.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank RichardHonolulu

Dear guest,

We are very sorry to read that you stay with us did not meet your expectations. The carnival outside our hotel is a yearly event that is in celebration of our King Willem Alexanders birthday. Unfortunately we do not have a say to where the carnival is located, this is a decision made by our city council.

We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Des indes when the carnival is no longer present

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I've stayed in this hotel time and time again, and each time fall more in love with it. Luxury Collection can be a little hit and miss, with some not quite to the Standard of Luxury Collection hotels, but Hotel Des Indes is just Luxury in every sense.

I've stayed in the base rooms to the presidential suite, and the amenities and sleep quality in all rooms has been excellent. Staff are unbelievably helpful and very welcoming on arrival.

Location is fantastic, with the Escher Museum just across the road, and the gorgeous little village a stones throw away with some great cafes and shops.

I come to Rotterdam on business several times a year, and I stay at this hotel, as it's worth the commute to Rotterdam! I love it that much - it is just superb, and one of my favourite hotels to stay in in Europe.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank cazzburgler
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Des Indes and the wonderful review you were so kind to share with us.
We are pleased to learn that we keep exceeding your expectations and we will be sure to keep doing this.

Indeed, the hotel's location is quite exceptional as the city of The Hague has a lot to offer.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The first time I saw when we arrived where thousands of crocuses growing at the square in front of the hotel. This was amazing. We stayed 3 nights in this hotel and it we were very satisfied. The room was big enough, it was a bit too dark for my taste and it was very clean. In the corner of the shower were some mildew stains, this is not good for a 5 star hotel. The beds are very comfortable, there was a tray with a Nespresso machine and a water boiler to brew some tea in the room. You got some white tea in the evening and 3 coffee capsules for 1 day. Two 0.5 liter water bottles were free for 1 day.
The rooms are very quiet, you have a nice view on the modern buildings of The Hague.

We had afternoon tea in the hotel, this was very very good. You had sandwiches and scones and cookies and cakes....... I could only eat a small dinner after having this at 16.00h.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The concierge reserved us a table in a fish restaurant nearby and she advised us what to do on a rainy Monday morning when the shops and most of the museums are closed.

The car parking is a little bit more than 35€ a day, but it is in front of the hotel entry, you have to go 10 steps. We did not have dinner and no breakfast in the hotel, we went to a small breakfast and lunch café nearby.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Thessy,

Thank you for visiting Hotel Des Indes and for sharing your insights online. Great to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and we are delighted to see that you took the time to give some extra detailed information.

Our concierges are always willing to help in giving suggestions to any type of guest. They are just amazing in collecting the best tips from all over the city of The Hague.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.